Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 12th, 2020, 09:41 PM #1

Form 4 individual

What drives the extreme difference in times for a form 4 individual? Ive see some posts that say 3-6 months while I also see some that say its been over a year.

If your GUESSING... mark it as a guess. If you work for the atf and know... you should be processing more forms not replying here.

Guesses are welcome snd fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 12th, 2020, 11:22 PM #2

Guess.

I understand that a lot of the responses depend on historically when you applied. There was a massive rush to submit form 1 and 4 trust applications prior to the rule change in July of 2016. I submitted three trust applications a few days prior and waited until june of 2017 for the stamps. So I suspect that individual form 4s were also quite delayed during the same time period.

I suspect that since 2016 demand has remained quite high and if anything that probably has the most impact on turn around time. Recently I believe that Individual form 1s and 4s have been getting approved in about 2-4 months while trusts are still taking longer.

One thing is for sure, the sooner your turn in your paperwork the sooner it will get approved. Dont wait until the next scare and panic buy.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 05:46 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
Guess.

I understand that a lot of the responses depend on historically when you applied. There was a massive rush to submit form 1 and 4 trust applications prior to the rule change in July of 2016. I submitted three trust applications a few days prior and waited until june of 2017 for the stamps. So I suspect that individual form 4s were also quite delayed during the same time period.

I suspect that since 2016 demand has remained quite high and if anything that probably has the most impact on turn around time. Recently I believe that Individual form 1s and 4s have been getting approved in about 2-4 months while trusts are still taking longer.

One thing is for sure, the sooner your turn in your paperwork the sooner it will get approved. Dont wait until the next scare and panic buy.

Great feedback. This makes sense too. It could also be people trolling SAYING they applied and are still waiting. Perhaps they have a questionable background. Who knows.

I like the last paragraph you wrote. Hahaha much like I tell people about MD W&C, youll never get approved if you never apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 13th, 2020, 06:10 AM #4

There is a thread in the NFA section with people posting their ACTUAL results in turn around times.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 03:53 PM #5
For great Justice

For great Justice

Have a few here, but a LOT of people posting on Reddit about wait times, F4 individual has been 6-12mo for the last couple years, F4 Trusts were similar, but maybe a couple months longer. Seems currently most F4Ts are 10-12months, F4I around 8-10mo, but there are a handful of F4I getting really quick approvals, like 2-3mo. When the NFA branch moved last year, as the story goes, they just started pulling apps from the top of the pile after the payment went through, giving fast approvals. Problem was that people that submitted apps before the February budget shutdown were basically stacked up at the bottom of the pile, and were royally PO'ed when people submitting apps months more recent were getting approved. There was a rumor the ATF got enough complaints about slow service that they tried to knock out a lot of apps that were recently submitted to get the AVERAGE wait times down, when people started questioning it, they stopped, but maybe not entirely. There is also the promise of E-file coming back to F4's, they were supposed to be in the works last year, but nothing yet, if F4s do join all the other forms online, you might get routine 30-90 day approvals, Basically expect the current wait times when purchasing, the Reddit NFA approvals threads tend to be relatively accurate in predicting wait time, or at least if you have waited long enough, you may "win" a fast approval, but likely it will be 8-12mo.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting