• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I like the idea of the tires lined up like a giant sound baffle. I have seen that before. At Hap Baker in Carroll county they have shooting boxes you put your barrel/muzzle in to muffle some of the blast. Maybe build a gun box and spray it with rubberized undercoating to help deaden the sound? I would kinda make notes of all the compromises you have tried to make, along with noting any interactions you've had with him. Log the times you shoot. That way if the complaints escalate you have some kind of reference for the LEOs.

I live in central Carroll county, and I am just inside the city line, in a small tucked away townhome community. I can't even legally shoot airsoft or BB guns on my property. However, across the tracks, about 1/4 mile away, there is a farm where the shoot sometimes. Kinda freaked my wife out at first. I told her not to worry about it, as we are in the country, but she asked, "What if we have bullets whizzing by the house???" I jokingly told her to return fire. She has gotten used to it, as most neighbors have, but we have some newer ones who swing a bit left and seem a little bothered by it, although I trued to assure them it is normal, we are far enough away, and its nothing to worry about. I just wish they'd invite me over to shoot over there, lol.

Walk over to the farm when they are shooting, and ask if they need any help. Maybe they'll be neighborly...

Action

Mar 25, 2020
    Private range

This reminds me of the similar problem Duffys gun room in Sparks Md, Baltimore County incurred. Im friends with the owner. I went go High School with in fact. I graduated 1976, he around the same time.
    Sometime later he became the owner of Duffys Gun Room retail gun store and repair shop. Thus he also had an outdoor shooting range down the street from his shop, which at the time was considered to be out in the country, though not far from suburbia -( Hunt Valley). He was able to work on guns and take to his range close by to test fire and pleasure shooting. Wouldn't you know it before too long he too started to get complaints same as you. His position was you people move into the country where it is commonplace to shoot, then you complain about hearing the noise as if you had decided to stay in suburbia. In essence, your bitching has forced these one sided laws because the county looks at future growth of communities and stores. Future development equals more tax base for the county! Money controls everything. People forget the importance of our second amendment and need to accept the importance of these rights, but in the end, gun owners seem to lose more times than not.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Due to the increase in ammo prices, this is giving me some time to evaluate my range rather than using it. Im going to look into moving further back, away from this neighbor. That way he cant "see my rifles barrels".

I called the local sheriffs office and was told if your 150yds away from his house, they cant tell me to stop. If homeowner requests a decibel check, they will bring a meter out. Anything above 65 decibels at his receiving property line, is noise violation and i have to stop/move further away.

Now the question is if his property line is 450ft away from where i take my shots, does a .308 carry over 65d at his line :shrug:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    LOL, if you have a S&W M&P 15-22, that’d be perfect - looks just like an AR and I can see your neighbors head explode when the Deputy Sheriff is packing the sound meter back in its case shaking his head at that neighbor for wasting his time :lol2:

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I wonder what law enforcement agency has a forensic sound measuring device for such a charge to ever be worth the court time. They attack alcohol testing and it's needs for chain of custody, maintenance, records, user training, etc. A sound meter?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Due to the increase in ammo prices, this is giving me some time to evaluate my range rather than using it. Im going to look into moving further back, away from this neighbor. That way he cant "see my rifles barrels".

I called the local sheriffs office and was told if your 150yds away from his house, they cant tell me to stop. If homeowner requests a decibel check, they will bring a meter out. Anything above 65 decibels at his receiving property line, is noise violation and i have to stop/move further away.

Now the question is if his property line is 450ft away from where i take my shots, does a .308 carry over 65d at his line :shrug:

I know a few deputies in Calvert. if your 150 yards away , and you have the proper back stop. there is nothing your neighbor can do. make sure the muzzle are facing away from your neighbors. and the noise will travel away from him. I have heard several stories like yours over the years. if you do your part the police will tell the neighbor to pack sand !! there is no reason if you have the land and a proper back stop , that you cant shoot on your own property!! and the sheriff's department will back you up !!

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I wonder what law enforcement agency has a forensic sound measuring device for such a charge to ever be worth the court time. They attack alcohol testing and it's needs for chain of custody, maintenance, records, user training, etc. A sound meter?

This is a very valid point. Measuring sound is a science in itself. Local governments may not be able to meet a defined noise measurement procedure and prove it in court.
    However it may end up being an expensive argument to win.

Or it may be an expensive proposition for a neighbor to measure and prove.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD

A Sound measuring device is not that expensive, so my guess is most places will have it.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I was a range officer at RPM gun shop on John's Island SC back in the 80s. This is what we did when the "neighbors" complained about our noise. The neighbors were 1/2 a mile away. It works..
    Damn, I was stationed in Charleston twice, 86 to 90, 92 to 96 or so, I remember shooting and buying guns and ammo there.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Decibel reader can be purchased for under $20. That might save you from having to move your range and know before they call the cops.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I feel your pain. I am born and raised in Calvert. I live in Huntingtown in a subdivision. No one in my neighborhood is from Calvert. Certain people in my neighborhood complain about all the shooting. They make comments like "its fully automatic machine gun fire!" My neighborhood like every neighborhood in Calvert backs up to multiple farms. People are always shooting. Never bothers me and also adds some camouflage to anybody else shooting. The police have had to tell my neighbors unless they are within 150 yards of your house it is legal. My advice is just be nice to your neighbor but please continue shooting and don't give in! These are our rights!!!!!

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    I feel your pain. I am born and raised in Calvert. I live in Huntingtown in a subdivision. No one in my neighborhood is from Calvert. Certain people in my neighborhood complain about all the shooting. They make comments like "its fully automatic machine gun fire!" My neighborhood like every neighborhood in Calvert backs up to multiple farms. People are always shooting. Never bothers me and also adds some camouflage to anybody else shooting. The police have had to tell my neighbors unless they are within 150 yards of your house it is legal. My advice is just be nice to your neighbor but please continue shooting and don't give in! These are our rights!!!!!

appreciate the response! I don't plan on giving it, just looking to see what others been thru. A officer on the phone told me a officer can come out with a decibel meter and check, but if I'm 150yds away from a structure i wouldn't be in violation of the ordnance. Who knows, only time will tell

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Sounds like you might needs to invite some Hooligans down for a field trip!

I’ve never been along on a Sunday morning shoot, but I understand the guys can make a little noise and a lotta smoke.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Sounds like you might needs to invite some Hooligans down for a field trip!

I’ve never been along on a Sunday morning shoot, but I understand the guys can make a little noise and a lotta smoke.

Amen, I don't have that problem. Thank the Lord.
    I live on front or a SD, next to two SS retirees, and a few military heroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom