• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • keikosman

Dec 4, 2019
    I say it’s your property, as long as it’s during reasonable hours you’re good. When this corona blows over I’ll come over with my ar and some friends nice guns too and we can really show them a good time lmao

Right! I've got to BZ my 450 and exercise my 50 cal barrels from Bear Creek. Probably should cycle the other ones too, now that I think of it.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I figured suppressors would come up, as well as the FU mentality. It's best not to deliberately annoy if you can help it, then they won't be pushing for new legislation or local ordinances. This is the way to win in the long run.

Practically speaking, one thing you can do now (while you're waiting for your F4 form to clear the ATF) that will make a HUGE difference, is shooting through a piece of culvert. It's what they do at some outdoor MD ranges.

In addition, if your wife doesn't mind (hehe) you can open a window inside your house, set up a shooting table INSIDE the house, and position your barrel a few feet back from the window. I have a friend in WV that does that with his 22LR to shoot woodchucks without bothering the neighbors. He's in a regular subdivision with farm land behind him. I'm not sure if the concussion from a large bore rifle could break the glass.

I'm not sure, but I think it may even be legal to have a shooting range inside your house (e.g. basement) even when you're less than the 150 foot minimum from other houses. That I am uncertain of. Obviously you would want to make it as soundproof as you can and check with officials. I used to shoot my 22 pistol with reduced loads at a backstop I placed inside my fireplace. No one could hear it so I never worried about it.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018

Thats essentially what we shoot through on my farm. I want all of my neighbors to be happy if possible, even though the closest is just under a mile away. And with the vast distance with 20 acres in Calvert that guy is a Land Baron, but one should strive to make reasonable accommodations to keep the peace.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    If it was equipment you were using on/for your property they'd complain about it. If it was kids being kids they'd complain about it or dogs being dogs. Some people, no matter what you say or do or try simply won't accept it so they play victims, even if it is legal. Had the same problem with neighbors with my AIR RIFLES & deputies called a couple times but to no avail. Total bafoons!!!

Last edited:

TEN-X

Aug 16, 2011
    Prince Frederick MD
    Same problem

We have 18 acres in Calvert Co. Back in the late 90's I had a P in the A neighbor who called the police everytime I fired a round. The State and Sheriff's Dept. said I was not breaking the law and left. One Dep. suggested I put up a sign stating that " The Range was Hot". About the 10th time a young Tac guy showed up for the complaint. I told him the neighbor was just being vindictive. He had a "talk" with her and the problem stopped. I would try to document that you reached out to them and they would not respond. I would just keep doing what your doing. I don't believe you are violating the noise ordinance. You might also want to have a conversation with an attorney so that you are sure of your rights. Good luck

Mike

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    why don't you call and ask the LEO. Calvert did just pass their 2A sanctuary for the county I'm thinking they will be on your side.

Mike Evans is a narcissistic a-hole dim0crap. I don't trust him, nor Tim Cameron (RINO) in St. Mary's. Watch your back.

Most troopers aren't bad, unless you get a young prick.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    It's easy to call the neighbor an ass but if my neighbor was shooting next door i just might bother me. Not that i'd suggest they stop. When I smoked and other people were smoking and I wasn't their smoke bothered me. I never told them to stop, I lit one up. A berm would probably help quite a bit. Even a sandbag wall would help. Look at what a huge difference a muzzle device makes to the shooter.

OP bought 21 acres. He didn't buy a 2 acre lot in a subdivision next to another 2acre lot next to another 2 acre lot etc. He's at least 150 yrds away from the neighbors house enjoying a perfectly legal activity on his own property. Not exactly next door.

jjjefferson

Aug 22, 2011
    Laurel, MD
    You kidding me?

In addition, if your wife doesn't mind (hehe) you can open a window inside your house, set up a shooting table INSIDE the house, and position your barrel a few feet back from the window. I have a friend in WV that does that with his 22LR to shoot woodchucks without bothering the neighbors. He's in a regular subdivision with farm land behind him. I'm not sure if the concussion from a large bore rifle could break the glass.

I'm not sure, but I think it may even be legal to have a shooting range inside your house (e.g. basement) even when you're less than the 150 foot minimum from other houses. That I am uncertain of. Obviously you would want to make it as soundproof as you can and check with officials. I used to shoot my 22 pistol with reduced loads at a backstop I placed inside my fireplace. No one could hear it so I never worried about it.

This has to be the worst advice on so many levels....SMH

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    Feel your pain with neighbors and uncalled for complaints about your range on your property. Please don't put cow or other animal manure to cause smell, until or if you get shut down by the court. All those ideas ppl have proposed might be good for revenge but have no place in common practice of demonstrating how a good neighbor coexists. The times you shoot is a big positive and anything done to reduce noise and promote safety is neighborly and shows common sense.
    My neighbor, a renter from Australia, was walking her dog one sunday afternoon and said, 'hey, john wayne where are you guns?' As I was taking my cowboy cart out of my car while still dressed in my cowboy action shooting outfit of western clothes, hat, boots and spurs. I said here in the travel bags would you like to see them? Not really, but am curious. So I put on my gun belt and holsters, took the Six shooters out, carefully and deliberately showing empty and holstering. Walking over to her porch where she was now sitting, upholstered one and again demo MT and handed one to her. Bloody good I've never touched a gun before. And even asked if I had bullets, yes in the car, but not while we have the guns, later when I put the guns away I'll bring some over. I also showed her my lever and shotguns. Bottom line she commented on my cautiousness with safe/MT and how she just now changed her mind on America's love of guns, from OMG danger to they might be ok if shown respect of them.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I’m in northern Carroll County, my range is set-up to shoot out of my barn. Makes it noisier for me, but I have yet to get a complaint from my neighbors. I try to limit how often I shoot my large caliber rifles for now, I have a suppressor in jail (now at 180 days) because I do want to be a good neighbor and I love having the ability to shoot on my own land. Best of luck with your unfortunate situation.

I live in N. Carroll County as well. I hear shooting everyday and I love it. I have an air rifle range setup in my backyard. I am in a subdivision, but if I could I would shoot my rifles too.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    about 500ft going off a recently drawn survey plat. there are lots of trees between his house and my shooting bench, he states he can see my barrel from his porch. I understand it is probably loud, but what do you expect living next to a farm

Why don't you just move to the other side of your farm instead of jumping through a lot of tire hoops to keep everyone happy?
    About 500 ft could really be as closer than you are to the target to the other persons house for an average home built range.

I'm a gun owner and avid shooter and would be asking the same question to myself before I even built a bench.
    And, I live on a farm.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Living in Calvert and we hear gunfire so frequently that even my children can recognize it. My 5 year old son can even estimate caliber.

Shooting is so common in this county I cannot imagine you would have any issues if law enforcement were to be contacted repeatedly. I shoot a bit further south than you OP but I have "brought the noise" many a time and never had an issue. We live down here for purposes such as this so give 'em hell and don't back down!

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    OP bought 21 acres. He didn't buy a 2 acre lot in a subdivision next to another 2acre lot next to another 2 acre lot etc. He's at least 150 yrds away from the neighbors house enjoying a perfectly legal activity on his own property. Not exactly next door.

150 yards in the country is the same as 150 yards in the city. I'm not suggesting he stop shooting or that he did anything wrong.

Sirex