• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So, all these cases are being held for NYC. If NYC doesn't reach the merits on mootness grounds, then the Court will have lots of cases to choose from for a grant. Anyone want to start a betting pool (no money, just fun) on which case they will grant, if NYC goes away?

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    So, all these cases are being held for NYC. If NYC doesn't reach the merits on mootness grounds, then the Court will have lots of cases to choose from for a grant. Anyone want to start a betting pool (no money, just fun) on which case they will grant, if NYC goes away?

Pena v Cid is my bet

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    I would think it won't really matter which case is finally decided. The held cases cover enough of the horizon that the most likely opinion - regardless of the case taken - will be a decision on how 2A cases should be decided rather than what the decision should be.

But I don't think NYS will be mooted. If it were to be, and one of the "held" cases revived, then the decision would be kicked into the Oct 2020 term, and it's not clear the Court would favor that.

I am not a lawyer.

Master_P

May 27, 2015

Mance v. Barr implicates a federal law. Zero chance it gets mooted.

All the other 2A cases implicate state laws. Granting one of those runs the risk of riling up the anti's to start the mootness shenanigans all over again... especially if they get away with it in NYSRPA.

Mance is also a very easy case to resolve. At the time of the founding, you could travel across state lines to acquire a firearm in common-use.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My bet is Pena (the California microstamping law). It is as irrational as the NYC ordinance and equally devoid of any reasonable public safety rationale. That makes it an easy case. My second choice is Rogers because of the square conflict with Wrenn. Rogers is the NJ carry case and it was first in line among the 3 NJ carry cases now before the Court and was filed before Gould and Malpasso (2 other carry cases). No way that NJ will moot that case. Mance is tougher, precisely because it is a federal law, which the Court is usually reluctant to invalidate. Worman involves evil black rifles and a decision there would cause a firestorm of criticism. Too high profile. They can use any of these cases to establish a standard of review and then GVR all the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom