CCW / WCP what to do when not conducting business?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmnhsd

Nov 17, 2020
    Couldn't find anything when searching for this.

Say your restrictions are "only while conducting business".

What specific Maryland code/instruction from MSP specifies what to do with the gun when you are not conducting business? Assuming you have a business where you work in the field- after you have made the last "deposit" or whatever for the day, and are officially off duty, but are not going home yet, or if you take a lunch break?

I know that technically when talking about non CCW persons- although while legal to transport a gun to work with you every day to a business location under the usual restrictions of 4-203 if you are the business owner, there is no language as to what is permitted between the time you leave work and the time you get home, or whether you must take a direct route or not.

But I would assume that since it is assumed that a permit holder will carry every day, and naturally they will have to contend with doing other tasks throughout the day that are non work-related, that there would be some instruction given to them how to proceed after their official duties are over, or during periods between duty times throughout the day.

Assume the person lives far from their workplace area of operation, and making extra trips back home would be impossible. Like lets say they live in Salisbury and work in Frederick, but take a 4 hour lunch that for the purposes of the restriction are not considered "conducting business".

Thanks

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    As far as I know they do not offer such restrictions anymore. They should be all unrestricted now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For * Owners * is default Unrestricted . For non- owner business related , still " while conducting business " .

As per MSP testimony prior to last fall's change , yes you are expected to schlep back & forth to home . Even if it's a long way in opposite direction . If it's such a hassle that you de facto can't be armed a lot of the time ? Too bad,so sad .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For * Owners * is default Unrestricted . For non- owner business related , still " while conducting business " .

As per MSP testimony prior to last fall's change , yes you are expected to schlep back & forth to home . Even if it's a long way in opposite direction . If it's such a hassle that you de facto can't be armed a lot of the time ? Too bad,so sad .

They also testified repeatedly at the HPRB meetings that they do not know how to define if you are conducting business.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That too . Kind of took the state of suspended cognitive dissonance to new levels ,but that was their " Testimony Story " , and they were sticking to it .

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    MSP is not issuing restrictions on permits for business owners any longer, if that's the category you fall into you can request a modification and get your restrictions removed.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    If you are an "employee" with a restriction... it's not unreasonable that you are on the way to... on the way home from... or doing something that is related to your company. Picking up supplies? Shop is out of bottled water? Call for service? Cancelled call for service? Don't overthink this... just sayin'...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Of all these carry permit questions, answers, predictions, guesses, wonderments(whatever a wonderment is), etc...... I don't think there is 1 single solitary case mentioned/happened/post/thread made about someone with a permit having a "business owner interaction" with law enforcement and what the outcome/resolution was.

If that's the case, maybe therein lies the answer to ALL the questions?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Of all these carry permit questions, answers, predictions, guesses, wonderments(whatever a wonderment is), etc...... I don't think there is 1 single solitary case mentioned/happened/post/thread made about someone with a permit having a "business owner interaction" with law enforcement and what the outcome/resolution was.

If that's the case, maybe therein lies the answer to ALL the questions?

For some of us, just having that "interaction" can destroy our carriers.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For some of us, just having that "interaction" can destroy our carriers.

Totally get it. And relying on the experience of others offers no confidence either.
    But In my over 20 years of carrying everywhere in the country and throughout the world, not 1 scintilla of interaction with anyone questioning possibly having seen my pistol. Never. I think that reflects the majority of other carriers (LEO and citizen).

So, for a permit carrier looking at (vague at best) answers to legit questions, what do you do? Are the lack of answers keeping carriers from carrying?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    concealed = concealed = concealed

Of which there is no legal requirement in MD. You can certainly be charged with a host of other things to make up for it, but Maryland does not specify the manor of carry. I covert carry al the time down here in SOMD all the time, even seen a few people open carry; any one who knows where to look simply doesn't care down here. Would I do so in Baltimore or Moco? Absolutely not.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I think Travis is going for , if thoroughly concealed , low likelihood of issues ( baring concealed magnomitors ) .

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    The answer is likely going to be in trial judgements on similar issues. If there are none, whomever wants to test this will be the first. Do you want to be a legal test case? I wouldn’t. So we’re it me, I’d head straight home after the last defined “duty” was done and drop off the gun. That’s the requirement on someone without a permit who is taking their gun to the range/show/store/etc. They are expected to go directly to and from. Tons of threads on that subject on here. Maybe it doesn’t apply directly, but it seems really similar to me. Concealed or not, I wouldn’t test it if you like owning firearms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Back when I had a restricted permit, I went on a "cop walk" in my neighborhood in Baltimore City. I spend the majority of the time walking next to a very friendly BPD officer. So, we'll call him Officer Friendly.

Officer Friendly had no idea I was carrying my handgun. Knowing some BPD officers, I'm nearly certain had he noticed, and I showed him my permit, he would have been far more interested in how the hell I got a permit than the G23 in my holster.

That said, I'm a real estate agent... everything I do is business related. It's nice to have my unrestricted permit now so I don't have to worry, but I never really worried.

YMMV, of course.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Back when I had a restricted permit, I went on a "cop walk" in my neighborhood in Baltimore City. I spend the majority of the time walking next to a very friendly BPD officer. So, we'll call him Officer Friendly.

Officer Friendly had no idea I was carrying my handgun. Knowing some BPD officers, I'm nearly certain had he noticed, and I showed him my permit, he would have been far more interested in how the hell I got a permit than the G23 in my holster.

That said, I'm a real estate agent... everything I do is business related. It's nice to have my unrestricted permit now so I don't have to worry, but I never really worried.

YMMV, of course.

100% agree with your logic. Still, I wouldn’t want to be (and bankroll) the test case for the courts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

YMMV, of course.

Dinner out with the wife at 8 p.m is business related?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Dinner out with the wife at 8 p.m is business related?

In an opportunistic line of work where new sales leads often come from a casual chat with a stranger, and being out with a pocket full of business cards - and being on call should a client have immediate issues ... yeah, business never sleeps. Even on date nights.

I’m in a different line of work, but it’s the same story.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In an opportunistic line of work where new sales leads often come from a casual chat with a stranger, and being out with a pocket full of business cards - and being on call should a client have immediate issues ... yeah, business never sleeps. Even on date nights.

I’m in a different line of work, but it’s the same story.
    "as long as I have a phone, I'm at work".
    Yeah ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom