• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Where did it come from ATF? ATF took lessons from the Maryland State Police and made stuff up.

The only reason we know about it is that ATF was forced to reveal it in a criminal trial a while back.

Keep in mind though since it is not an official regulation and has never been through the rule making process, they are free to make different stuff up at any time- and not disclose it, the same way they did not disclose it before.

Its only a matter of time now before the Biden administration kills these completely. Its been a Bloomberg wet dream for years.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    Where did the come up with this magic LOP thing anyway? I’m pretty sure many pistol braces when fully extended would exceed the LOP the ATF likes, wouldn’t they?

The length of pull is supposed to serve as a divider between braces the might accidentally get put against your shoulder and stocks which are designed to get placed against your shoulder. The majority of commercially made braces are shorter than the 13.5 by a reasonable safety margin, SB says theirs is 12.5" on an ar pistol. SB thought went through the process of submitting theirs to the ATF and worked out an agreement with the ATF higher-ups about it.

The other difference between Q's and the other braces I have looked at is the adjustments. Q's one has two settings whereas most others have multiple in between fully extended and closed. I don't know if that is making any difference in this situation.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Trump won’t let this happen, he is pro 2A and pro constitution.

He may not be around much longer, sad to say.

Drill a third hole. Go big or go home.

Pic attached.

3 to 4 million braces have been sold, sounds like "common use" to me.

I guess I should buy a few real quick, gotta pump those numbers up - those are rookie numbers.

How the ATF measured the Honey Badger vs the proper way, parallel to the bore.

No surprise that the ATF doesn't know how to use a ruler.

The length of pull is supposed to serve as a divider between braces the might accidentally get put against your shoulder and stocks which are designed to get placed against your shoulder.

> Accidentally

Attachments

• 1599850110358.jpg
      1599850110358.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 525

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The video Smokey posted is about the ATF possibly changing AR/AK style pistols to be AOWs.

Here is the law firm's letter referenced in the video and referenced by Military Arms Channel also referenced in the above video.

https://comms.wiley.law/8/3583/octo...ports-and-may-require-nfa-registration(2).asp

Maybe President Trump (never gets old) is waiting for the election to be over, but I really hope he reigns in the ATF. They just make things up as they go.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    lololololol thinking Trump cares a bit about your pistol braces. Priceless.

Plus side, I'm gonna be able to do the "I TOLD YOU SO" thing to about several hundred people on the Interwebs, so that should keep me happy for a while.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ATF regulatory ban checklist

1. bump stocks
    2. pistol braces on AR/AK pistols (not banned, per se, but you get the gist)
    3. ?

I'm guessing 80% builds are next on their list, and there may be creative ways they can approach this.

UBCs/registration and semi-automatic bans would be coming via a legislative path first.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It turns out that there is more to this, apparently, it does revolve around particular firearms not being review and approved with the braces. SB tactical has apparently possibly not been completely forthright about its braces being reviewed and approved.
    They have been deliberately misleading consumers for years. There is a non-trivial chance SB Tactical could get destroyed in a class action lawsuit if the ATF decides the SBA3/SBA4/etc are stocks.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    They have been deliberately misleading consumers for years. There is a non-trivial chance SB Tactical could get destroyed in a class action lawsuit if the ATF decides the SBA3/SBA4/etc are stocks.

That's not really true. Go read SB Tactical's website. They posted a lot of their correspondence letters between themselves and the ATF as proof that the ATF reversal is unfounded.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Were I running ATF, I'd be tempted to use the amnesty power to allow a no-cost SBR registration period.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I saw those reports, and I gotta say, a little skeptical that the ATF is just gonna blanket open the SBR registry for free to anyone who claims they had a brace on a pistol. Either they're gonna only do factory braced guns, or maybe the standard of proof will be higher, I don't know, but I can't even imagine what their workload would look like if they gave an opening for everyone to just register a bunch of lowers for free.

Incidentally, this would screw a hojillion people over anyways, because if they decided braces/stabilizers are stocks (or something functionally similar), there's a LOT of people who have < 10.5" builds in MD who'd wind up with a hard-to-use old-style AR/AK pistols because a stock wouldn't get them over 29". Ditto for people in states that don't allow SBRs.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    I think this will take a while to play out, I have no doubt that SB tactical, sig, Q, DD, and all the other manufactures will sue to block the change. Also, a full read makes it seems like they are establishing new evaluation guidelines to ward off future efforts at things that can not be fired one-handed.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Were I running ATF, I'd be tempted to use the amnesty power to allow a no-cost SBR registration period.

Looks good on paper and it would be the right thing to do.

It would also give a slightly more complete picture of WHO/WHAT/WHERE/HOW MANY FLEEING DOGS TO SHOOT ON THEIR WAY TO THE SAFE/WHO YOU BOUGHT THEM FROM for your replacement with a radically different outlook to exploit.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

been awhile since it was discussed, but seem to remember it was argued that the way FOPA was enacted, the AG or Pres could open the NFA (including post-85 MGs on F1s) for amnesty periods at-will. Would be an epic, if only short lived FU if Trump did just that for free F1 stamps on all NFA stuff including post 86.MGs. Of course the joke could be on us as we engrave and drill 3rd holes in everything, that at that point most every AR rifle and lower on the planet would be registered with the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom