• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    What if he's not a C&R though, just Joe Non-Felonious Citizen?

If it were me, I would transfer through a shop and he could pay the fee if he so desires. Private transfers aren't illegal, but you're describing buying one to give to a friend, which sounds awfully like a straw purchase. With a dealer transfer to him you become above suspicion.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I think a gift is not a straw purchase. Seems to me money has to change hands in order to make a purchase? But I would not let my generosity go beyond what would seem reasonable.

I think a C&R can sell a long gun to someone from another state, but the buyer(unless he too is licensed) must come to the address on the C&R license to do the deal.

I suspect it is not bending the law to the breaking point to buy, say, two items, with the express purpose of selling one, in order to reduce the cost of adding the piece to one's collection. So long as you're not doing this at a volume that would make it smell like a business, it's within the scope of the license, as I understand it.

However, to date I've not engaged in any of the above practices. I'd take pains to re-read my info pack, and maybe call ATF if the answer wasn't in cold print.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    What if he's not a C&R though, just Joe Non-Felonious Citizen?

You're fine. BUT. It could look like a straw purchase, IF you buy a long gun, then transfer it to someone else who isn't a C&R licensee, right away.

Especially if you're a new licensee, and doing this in your first few weeks of having a license, then it's going to look suspiciously like a straw purchase.

What's the difference between a straw purchase, or a gift, or an ordinary sale/transfer? It's open to interpretation, and that's where things can get really hard.

I agree that, to stay completely above board, and erase any possibility of trouble, you should transfer it through an FFL. That will only cost a few bucks but give you absolute peace of mind, if the BATF should ever happen to audit your records.

Or, you could convince your pal to get a C&R license, too. :D

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    All right, I'll hold off on this for now. If there's something from AIM Surplus that he really wants when I'm placing my order, I'll transfer it to him through an FFL so there's absolutely no possibility of me getting in trouble.

On another note, I just heard back from the CMP. They received my order for an M1 Garand. It'll take 30-60 days though. So maybe I'll have it in time for Christmas.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    All right, I'll hold off on this for now. If there's something from AIM Surplus that he really wants when I'm placing my order, I'll transfer it to him through an FFL so there's absolutely no possibility of me getting in trouble.

On another note, I just heard back from the CMP. They received my order for an M1 Garand. It'll take 30-60 days though. So maybe I'll have it in time for Christmas.

He can order from AIM through an 01 FFL Dealer also. That is a MUCH safer route IMHO. C&R is for your personal collection not to order for others and transfer. I know you are not trying to do anything illegal, but you do not want to be on the wrong side of a gray area.

Good purchase on the M1 Garand:envy::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom