Fired shell casings: Do all new guns have them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I mean they have to test fire then gun, so they already have the casing. Why not just throw it in the box.

From the sounds of it, the requirement of having the shell casing is pretty uncommon. What percentage of sales are into states with that requirement? 5%? (Just making up a low number.)

So maybe you just collect shells on the guns that are ordered by MD dealers. That may be be the most efficient from the manufacturer's perspective.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    From the sounds of it, the requirement of having the shell casing is pretty uncommon. What percentage of sales are into states with that requirement? 5%? (Just making up a low number.)

So maybe you just collect shells on the guns that are ordered by MD dealers. That may be be the most efficient from the manufacturer's perspective.

Best I can find, only MD and NY require a fired casing and for a while NY would test fire a gun, for a fee, for the buyer.

Even though NY has just under 19 million people I don't think there is the level of handgun ownership there as here. The rules and BS that one must deal with to get a permit to own a handgun there, makes MD look like the best place on earth.

How many handguns are sold in MD each year?

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    I apologize that this is somewhat unrelated, but just curious. How accurate are the markings on these shells? Are the markings unique like fingerprints and LE can just upload the shell and identify exactly who's gun it was?

Look at it this way. Go buy a spare firing pin and barrel. Change them into your gun, commit a crime, throw them away and re-insert the original pin/barrel.

What are the odds of tracing that shell now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom