• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I turned my prints and forms in to Reistertown about a week ago and got the letter today saying that my background is clear. Anyone know about how long between getting that letter and getting my prints and forms back?
    Thx!

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    you got a letter seperate? Weird, it took me a month to get my paperwork back, and it was all together. I cant really remember if the letter was there or not since it doesnt matter, but it probably was.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Weird . . in September I got BOTH the letter and the forms back in the same envelope about two weeks after dropping them off.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Well, I called the MDSP. They said that CJIS often sends out two letters, one to the "customer" and one to Firearms Registration, even though they are not supposed to send out the customer letter.

I just hope that means my prints were ok. Presumably, Registration wouldn't bother to request background form CJIS if the prints were bad, but who knows....

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    If you get a CJIS letter always call the Handgun Division to ask if they received their copy, sometimes CJIS forgets to CC them.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I have a question...Once you turn in your prints and you get all of your papers back...Once you get the clearance can you buy a class 3 weapon or suppressor every 30 days?

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I have a question...Once you turn in your prints and you get all of your papers back...Once you get the clearance can you buy a class 3 weapon or suppressor every 30 days?

I don't think that the suppressor is a "regulated firearm" within the meaning of the MD law as it's not a gun. So you can buy them all day long, if you want. The suppressor purchases are regulated on by the National Firearms Act (federal law), I think.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

The prints and sign-off are per purchase . . . you need one MSP sign-off on each form for each silencer/SBR/SBS/AOW . . . you can submit multiple forms of the same type (form1/form 4) with one set of fingerprint cards. MSP didn't say anything about my multiple forms.:thumbsup:

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    The prints and sign-off are per purchase . . . you need one MSP sign-off on each form for each silencer/SBR/SBS/AOW . . . you can submit multiple forms of the same type (form1/form 4) with one set of fingerprint cards. MSP didn't say anything about my multiple forms.:thumbsup:

You can eliminate the prints & CLEO (MSP) signoff by using a trust, but the ATF Form 4 (tax stamp) is the long lead item and must be done once per-purchase.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    You can eliminate the prints & CLEO (MSP) signoff by using a trust, but the ATF Form 4 (tax stamp) is the long lead item and must be done once per-purchase.

O rly? That's interesting. I didn't know that the trust avoided the whole MSP sign off. Nice...

If my prints are bounced for quality, I'm doing the trust. Screw it.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Ok, I think I understand that now.But is that only if it is not regulated? So if I go to purchase an automatic weapon. I file my prints and do the background check. Since it is a regulated weapon after the 30 days, I have to go threw the whole process again????

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Ok, I think I understand that now.But is that only if it is not regulated? So if I go to purchase an automatic weapon. I file my prints and do the background check. Since it is a regulated weapon after the 30 days, I have to go threw the whole process again????

???

NFA items do not fall under MD "regulated" laws. The possible exception being full-auto guns, which have to be (re)registered yearly.

accce

Jul 19, 2011
    I turned my prints and forms in to Reistertown about a week ago and got the letter today saying that my background is clear. Anyone know about how long between getting that letter and getting my prints and forms back?
    Thx!

Same thing here. How long did it take to get your print cards back?

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

Not sure on the State end of things, but on the Fed end you can transfer 2 items per set of fingerprint cards.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    If you get a CJIS letter always call the Handgun Division to ask if they received their copy, sometimes CJIS forgets to CC them.

Absolutely call them if it has been over 4 weeks. Usually about 2 weeks after you drop your prints and forms off you will recieve a letter from CJIS confirming a background check on you. Then in about another 2 weeks you should recieve your forms back from the State signed off on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom