• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I'm looking into taking a course - preferably live - in preparation for the ISC2 CISSP certification. Has anyone here taken such a class or does anyone have a recommendation?
    Thanks....

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    ISC and Global Knowledge both offer courses

There are a significant number of additional hoops you need to jump through to be eligible...refs, past experience etc

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Not 100% sure but New Horizons in McLean has a nice facility and good instructors.

ASM Educational Institute accross from White Flint mall in Rockville is decent but they're geared toward CISCO stuff but they do add a CISSP so you can pad your resume nicely.

There's another place on Key West ave in Gaithersburg but I forget the place. It's a nice place also. I really liked taking some career training there.

BadShot25

Oct 9, 2008
    I've taken a CISSP class and though I can't recommend the class, I highly recommend the book used. The CISSP book by Shon Harris.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I did the ISC2 Live On-Line for a couple months, 2 hours a week. Worth it. And, you can replay (and captcha) the sessions. Also, getting some t0rrent$ of Shon and converting to MP3s for the commute came in real handy even though they were 4 years old. Not much has changed.

The only issue is that no matter what kind of training you take, you'll close the exam booklet after answering about 5 questions to check if you're taking the CISSP. All the training in the world makes you feel like you're a complete idiot and should just quit the exam rather than finish it. That said, don't blow a lot of money. Take your time, read/listen and hope you have some easy questions. I was weak in crypto so spent the most amount of time on that domain, only to have 2 crypto questions.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Thanks for the replies above. I'm thinking I'll go with the ISC2 Live On-Line class. I think I'll watch the 2 hr session, then read the corresponding portion of the book, then maybe watch the session again. Otherwise, it's just too hard to figure out what's important in that 1000 pg tome.

vette97, when you said that you'll close the exam booklet after answering about 5 questions to check if you're taking the CISSP, what did you mean? After the prep, did the test feel easy, hard, or totally off the wall?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hardest test I've ever take, including my masters 3 hour essay final exam.

Once you feel ready to take the test, take a few example tests, and go back and review the domains you score lowest on.

Some of the questions will have all correct answers, you'll have to pick the most right of all the choices. This testing method requires you to be in sync with CISSP vocab and methodology. Good part is that it has standardized a lot of things people used to argue about, now not so much.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I will definitely second the Shaun Harris books. My guess about closing the book is that you'll look at it and think you didn't study what they were asking. The first 10 questions or so were the hardest in my opinion and i believe they do it on purpose. I know that after the test there were questions on it that i had never covered in training or study. They are not limited to asking questions from the book they cover things someone with 5 years experience should know.

Again the hardest test i've ever taken and I was so happy to pass knowing i would not have to take it again.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    They are not limited to asking questions from the book they cover things someone with 5 years experience should know.

Again the hardest test i've ever taken and I was so happy to pass knowing i would not have to take it again.

Yep, I agree with md-rick. I had been in this business (different business actually, but with a strong cyber (special) background.

To even be eligible for the test I had to already have a Bachelors Degree, and have a current CISSP that knew me for years, vouch that I was otherwise qualified in the domains by ISC2's strict criteria.

At that time I had just completed extensive training in several security related tools like forensics (EnCase, ILook & FTK), and some others (non-forensics). As an additional duty I was also my units Information Assurance (IA) person for my (cyber+) office. At that time I had about 15 years experience in other security related fields that did cover some of the domains. I led our works study group for nearly three months before the test, and took two weeks leave to crash study just before the test. During this period, I read every book I could find on the domains (there weren't as many back in 2003), and took several full pre-tests. Our study group pitched in and we bought an expensive (few hundred dollars) pre-exam test. Each time I went back and studied the parts that I missed and concentrated on the domains I did worst in.

On the day of the test, I was early with my sanitized and examined dictionary. I had the test taking technique down (you should study/practice) 'how to take this test' as they take away points for incorrect answers. In the 5 hours for the test, I ate nothing and took one bathroom break. Too break, only one student at a time, and you have to sign out to use the bathroom. Was strange showing two forms of ID to take a test, and having several watching you every second of 5 hours while you take the test is a bit un-nerving. I needed all 5 hours to take the test, and felt I had about a 50/50 chance of passing. Maybe I over prepared.

After the test I immediately went to my car and went page by page through the best book available (and largest) the Shaun Harris book. I highlighted every topic covered on the test, and made a recording (both exclusively for myself), recalling as many test questions and topics as possible. Merely as a study aid, just in case I failed the test. I've never shared these with anyone, and it really wouldn't help because there are several versions of the test, and they are constantly being updated. I read someplace that a large percentage of the test questions do not count, they are merely 'testing' the test questions to possibly use in the future.

One site I used to help study from was CCCURE.org or something like that. Any google search for CISSP and it will turn up. From when I was studying, I recommended it. Don't know how it is today. Thankfully I passed, first time go, and always get more than enough continuing education credits (and pay) on time, so I will never have to take that test again as long as I keep up with the requirements. I also like that this test has an oath (of basically 'do no harm'), there is an alumni collaboration forum (very useful!). This cert, also qualifies as the only DoD cert for several DoD IA jobs, et. al.

You picked the right one to pursue. I know several folks that failed the test first time around, one that was very qualified and took it 3 times, never passing it, so good luck, and I'd be interested in you sharing how it goes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom