• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Does the US Census Bureau or other US Gov't entity have an official ruling on Philiphines? On the surface it would indeed appear to be heavily shaped by Spain .

Various forms of possession/ Colony of Spain from mid 1500's , until we obtained it in the Spanish- American War .

Spanish was an official language until 1987 .

In the early days of Philiphine Census taking , the residents were not just allowed, but actively encouraged to adopt to Adopt Spanish Surnames.

At one point , the population of the main populated islands were 1/3 pure honky Spaniards .

The Philippine Colonial Gov'ts paid economic incentives for intermarriage between ethnic groups , and Spaniards were in the highest demand , by factor of up to 10 .
    Philipines have way more influences and cultural connection to Spain, than a lot of the Caribbean region countries considered Hispanic .

But it is ignorant is equate all Hispanics with "Mexicans" . Maryland in particular have Hispanics originating from all over Latin America , with no country having dominance.

Race is self identified. Honestly it is irrelevant and they should take it off the 4473.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Ok great. I intentionally didn’t bring that point up. They wanted both to have hql.

The guy left the mags out of the deal and was told by them that a handgun without the original magazines can not be transferred.

That is what really puzzled me

FFL is just looking to enhance his profits by getting the mags, not transferring them to you and then selling them to someone out of state.

Pick a different FFL.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    State Barracks.

Do your online paperwork first, show up on a Sunday morning after breakfast, takes about twenty minutes. Cost 10 per transaction (how many firearms at one time?? Up to 7at a time for 10.00 total from my experience).
    Wait a week to be not disapproved. The. Meet for Sunday breakfast and exchange the firearm.

That 7 is going to require a designated collectors letter though. Otherwise it is 1 every 30 days or 2 in 60.

In the process on my first barracks transfer now. Went at lunch to the barracks. It took about 30 minutes including a few minutes for the desk trooper to be free helping the couple of people ahead of us.

A lot less painful than I thought it would be.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have heard so many complains about them I have to wonder how they stay in business. Its like they go out of their way to fend off actual customers. I can only conclude its a laundering operation of some sort. I am speculating of course.

Or they serve the less refined sort who probably are only going to use the firearm once before the nice man in the uniform demands they drop it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    MSP Barracks is not automatically the best choice .That process requires buyer and seller to meet in person twice .

If the B & S live far apart , or at least one of them has unusual schedule of days or hours worked , that can be a pia . In those cases using the services if brick & mortar FFL , the buyer and seller need only meet once . A cpl more $ , but far better than travel expenses from any combination of Eastern Shore, Western , or Southern Md .

That’s true. I probably wouldn’t do a barracks transfer if as you mentioned our hours/days just didn’t work or it was a hardship to make them line up. That or I don’t think I’d want to do it if it involved more than about 2 hours of round trip driving between both occasions.

But when you might be talking a $200 or $300 firearm, possibly paying $50+ on top of the $10 MSP fee is adding quiet a bit to the cost.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Or they serve the less refined sort who probably are only going to use the firearm once before the nice man in the uniform demands they drop it.

No, they are across the street from AACo PDHQ. They cater to their 'friends' in the dept. They are just not fond of the unwashed masses.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Worth a Sh*t has to be the worst run FFL in the entire state. Idiots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the worst was the one in Columbia that rhymes with box. Maybe we could have a Death Match to determine the worst.

I live within easy walkin distance to Worth a Shot but having heard the tales I pass them by all the time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's all party of the Maryland Mental Math. Just like in WV distance has highly variable meaning, if not no meaning , in Maryland' "the Price" has only limited amount to do with "the Real Price " .

In addition to the nominal "price" add -

Transfer fee vs no Transfer fee .

Cost of Transfer services.

Direct cost of travel , plus total time, and timing requirements for minimum of two round trips . ( Hint - distance is more important than $10 difference )

The expenses are fixed ( ie not porportional to value of item involved .)

So yes , the "Maryland Factor" really changes the game for cheap regulated things .

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Does the US Census Bureau or other US Gov't entity have an official ruling on Philiphines? On the surface it would indeed appear to be heavily shaped by Spain .

Various forms of possession/ Colony of Spain from mid 1500's , until we obtained it in the Spanish- American War .

In the early days of Philiphine Census taking , the residents were not just allowed, but actively encouraged to adopt to Adopt Spanish Surnames.

At one point , the population of the main populated islands were 1/3 pure honky Spaniards .

The Philippine Colonial Gov'ts paid economic incentives for intermarriage between ethnic groups , and Spaniards were in the highest demand , by factor of up to 10 .
    Philipines have way more influences and cultural connection to Spain, than a lot of the Caribbean region countries considered Hispanic .

But it is ignorant is equate all Hispanics with "Mexicans" . Maryland in particular have Hispanics originating from all over Latin America , with no country having dominance.

Montgomery County is home to ~ 1/3 of Maryland immigrants. Latin Americans in Montgomery County , El Salvador is 3:1 all others combined. Considering the size of El Salvador, I'd consider that a huge disproportion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's all party of the Maryland Mental Math. Just like in WV distance has highly variable meaning, if not no meaning , in Maryland' "the Price" has only limited amount to do with "the Real Price " .

In addition to the nominal "price" add -

Transfer fee vs no Transfer fee .

Cost of Transfer services.

Direct cost of travel , plus total time, and timing requirements for minimum of two round trips . ( Hint - distance is more important than $10 difference )

The expenses are fixed ( ie not porportional to value of item involved .)

So yes , the "Maryland Factor" really changes the game for cheap regulated things .

That is 95% if the reason I finally got my C&R. Partly myninteredte have turned much more to older guns anyway, but Maryland tries to dissuade you st every turn from owning or buying guns. Especially scary handguns. Even if I was going to buy something st an FFL, that’s a couple of hours of my time, gas money, $10 for the MSP check. If I didn’t buy it from the FFL most seem to charge $50 or so for regulated firearm transfers. Or again, he shuffle for a barracks meet and then try to find a mutual time and location to do the transfer a week later.

Or since I am mostly interested in old stuff, find it out of state at a gun show (I am there already) or online and I at worst am paying shipping.

It’s just too bad that sometimes I like a modern gun. Or sometimes that C&R is only local...or local is the better deal/condition even with all of that hassle involved.

moconnell

Sep 25, 2013
    I thought the worst was the one in Columbia that rhymes with box. Maybe we could have a Death Match to determine the worst.

I live within easy walkin distance to Worth a Shot but having heard the tales I pass them by all the time.

Won't go into Box again. It's close but the son was a rude asshats, and that was when purchasing new. The dad wasn't much better to my son at a show.

MSP is the way to go if the two parties are close enough.

I didn’t know where else to post this and since the entire hql thing is anti 2A I figure this is the place.
    So I am purchasing a handgun private sale and decided to use an ffl based solely on location.
    My bad was to forget my damn hql card and left it at home. I truly thought that as long as I had it for pick up it was ok I obviously have and hql as I have the 77r pin and all with me.
    Called ahead first person told us both people need hql. Called back to say yeah we both have them however I didn’t have mine on me was it ok as long as I had it when the 7 day period was over person on phone said sure.
    Of course when we get there we find that is not the case according to them and that I actually need the card to even start the transfer.
    Wether that is correct or not is moot as it’s their store and their ffl and I can respect that.
    The gun has high cap mags?
    What happeneds when a private sale used gun has high cap mags?
    What should be done?

Don't use a gun store/FFL. They must book-in and book-out any firearm transfer and they will charge more than the MSP will charge for the transfer. MSP charges $10.00 for a secondary firearm transfer and the buyer only needs a HQL (by law) to take possession of the firearm after the transfer is "not disapproved" by MSP. Go to any MSP barracks during normal business hours and initiate the seconday transfer with your HQL and 77R information. On day 8 you can take possession of the firearm unless the MSP contacts the seller with other instuctions.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Don't use a gun store/FFL. They must book-in and book-out any firearm transfer and they will charge more than the MSP will charge for the transfer. MSP charges $10.00 for a secondary firearm transfer and the buyer only needs a HQL (by law) to take possession of the firearm after the transfer is "not disapproved" by MSP. Go to any MSP barracks during normal business hours and initiate the seconday transfer with your HQL and 77R information. On day 8 you can take possession of the firearm unless the MSP contacts the seller with other instuctions.
    V-tac, the above post is good advice.

Perhaps go to the Introductions, and post a good accounting of your self - link here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

We are very friendly here to new folks, but only to those of our ilk.

Magazines over 10 rounds cannot be exchanged in Maryland. Drunk driving is illegal in Maryland.

I advocate breaking NO laws.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The advantage of using a gun store is:

1) Buyer and seller only have to meet once.

2) Buyer and seller don't even have to meet, seller can drop off at one time, the buyer makes their trips to the gun store.

Both methods have their pluses and minuses. Neither one is perfect for every transaction.

Jul 1, 2012
    The advantage of using a gun store is:

1) Buyer and seller only have to meet once.

2) Buyer and seller don't even have to meet, seller can drop off at one time, the buyer makes their trips to the gun store.

Both methods have their pluses and minuses. Neither one is perfect for every transaction.

(3) Buyer can take the time to carefully examine the firearm in a "safe" environment (vice the MSP parking lot, etc).

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

This is from a longer entry in Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Definitions in the United States
    See also: Ethnic groups in the United States, History of Hispanic and Latino Americans, Race and ethnicity in the United States Census, and Hispanic/Latino naming dispute

While originally the term referred primarily to the Hispanos of New Mexico within the United States[36], today, organizations in the country use the term as a broad catchall to refer to persons with a historical and cultural relationship with Spain, such as Equatorial Guinea and Philippines which are- regardless of race and ethnicity.[1][2] The U.S. Census Bureau defines the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race"[37] and states that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity.[38] Generically, this limits the definition of Hispanic or Latino to people from the Caribbean, Central and South America, or other Hispanic (Spanish or Portuguese) culture or origin, regardless of race. Latino can refer to males or females, while Latina refers to only females.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

I always chuckle a bit when I pass by and see their sign placement...

Attachments

• WAS.JPG
      WAS.JPG
      12.8 KB · Views: 162

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads