• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Alright, finally got the last part in and on, so here's the final parts list and picture. Much appreciation to Daemon, as he helped with everything from the build list to the build itself.

Lower: Spike's Tactical (nothing special, bought it in store)
    Lower Receiver: Rock River complete
    Trigger: ALG Defense
    Upper: Alpha Shooting Sports Forged - Laser Caliber Marked
    BCG: DS Arms Complete
    Charging Handle: Radian Weapons Raptor Ambi
    Barrel: 16" Hbar, 1:7 with melonite finish chambered in 5.56 from Delta Tactical
    Gas: Gas Block, Gas Tube
    Buffer: Aero Precision
    Stock: Magpul CTR + 0.25 Riser (I have a thin face, tried the DIY method and just settled on this because it was more comfortable in the end. Yes I'm aware of the charing handle issue, but I keep mine fully extended anyway)
    Muzzle Device: Yankee Hill Phantom
    Handguard: Strike Industries 13" Key-Mod
    Handstop: BCM KAG for key-mod
    Sling + Attachment: endplate is QD from BCM, sling is Magpul para/QD 1-2 point, from attachment point is BCM Key-Mod QD adapter with a mapgul paraclip to QD mount (that actually works really well once you get the angle right)
    Optics: Magpul BUIS, Bushnell Trophy TRS-25

Panel kit is the 5 inch from BCM, bolt release is troy industries, riser is UTG 0.83.

21ah7vp.jpg

Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

That beast looks sharp! How do you like the BCM hand stop?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Future upgrade. The grip came with a kit, so I wasn't too pressed to immediately change it. I'll have to see what I like after some time and shopping.

Over time you’ll accumulate a box of parts like grips, hand guards, BCG’s various stocks and fore grips that didn’t make the cut for some reason or another. Eventually you’ll have enough parts to build a new rifle and start the process all over.

Good luck.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Over time you’ll accumulate a box of parts like grips, hand guards, BCG’s various stocks and fore grips that didn’t make the cut for some reason or another. Eventually you’ll have enough parts to build a new rifle and start the process all over.

Good luck.

Been there...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Good luck.

I am getting there. Really the best spare parts are the ones you have to pick from a working rifle.

Jan 25, 2017
    I'm looking for input from fellow Marylanders about which direction to head in for my first AR. I currently hold my HQL and have a sig 9mm that I use for range days, but I'm curious about bumping up to a larger caliber.

From my understanding, an ar 15 HBAR is the only legal way to own my own, but I did not know if this rule also applied to ar 10s, or if they were outright banned. I have been weighing pros and cons, trying to figure out if I wanted to jump up to 5.56 or 7.62, but it wouldn't matter if the ar 10 is banned. So far I've seen that the HBAR workaround still applies, but I haven't found an outright yes or no answer.

I'm looking around $800-1600 for a built rifle (I considered building my own, but found it not recommended for the prices) and would probably want to shoot at 100-400 yards. Also, as I live in the Annapolis area, I can travel pretty easily to VA if anyone has any recommendations for shops or larger ranges.

Thanks guys

I would highly recommend building your own and scouring deals, you can really make a great rifle tailored exactly to your needs.

With that being said, however, if you would like to get a built rifle and you're willing to spend $800-$1600, you can find a good deal on a Daniel Defense and their rifles are fantastic. They have a fantastic warranty and their customer service is pretty good. This would be on the higher side of your budget.

On that other hand, you could always buy a base rifle like the S&W M&P Sport II and then use the remaining cash in your budget to upgrade anything to your liking after you've shot it for a while. The AR-15 world has so many options, and it's one of the things that make it great.

Last edited:
    Alright, finally got the last part in and on, so here's the final parts list and picture. Much appreciation to Daemon, as he helped with everything from the build list to the build itself.

Lower: Spike's Tactical (nothing special, bought it in store)
    Lower Receiver: Rock River complete
    Trigger: ALG Defense
    Upper: Alpha Shooting Sports Forged - Laser Caliber Marked
    BCG: DS Arms Complete
    Charging Handle: Radian Weapons Raptor Ambi
    Barrel: 16" Hbar, 1:7 with melonite finish chambered in 5.56 from Delta Tactical
    Gas: Gas Block, Gas Tube
    Buffer: Aero Precision
    Stock: Magpul CTR + 0.25 Riser (I have a thin face, tried the DIY method and just settled on this because it was more comfortable in the end. Yes I'm aware of the charing handle issue, but I keep mine fully extended anyway)
    Muzzle Device: Yankee Hill Phantom
    Handguard: Strike Industries 13" Key-Mod
    Handstop: BCM KAG for key-mod
    Sling + Attachment: endplate is QD from BCM, sling is Magpul para/QD 1-2 point, from attachment point is BCM Key-Mod QD adapter with a mapgul paraclip to QD mount (that actually works really well once you get the angle right)
    Optics: Magpul BUIS, Bushnell Trophy TRS-25

Panel kit is the 5 inch from BCM, bolt release is troy industries, riser is UTG 0.83.

21ah7vp.jpg

Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

Something's wrong, I don't see a bottle of miltec on your list....

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Good luck.

Yep, been there as well..... I found a part I needed for my next build. It was quite refreshing actually.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-pistol-grip-ar-15-with-finger-grooves-rubber

You can probably find one on Ebay with free shipping. These are my favorite but you may have to cut the little nub on the front off. It's there to fill the gap when using a milspec trigger guard which your rifle doesn't have.
    Funny enough I bought that exact one without seeing this post and had to learn the hard way to cut the front rubber tip of after fiddling with it for 10 minutes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would highly recommend building your own and scouring deals, you can really make a great rifle tailored exactly to your needs.

With that being said, however, if you would like to get a built rifle and you're willing to spend $800-$1600, you can find a good deal on a Daniel Defense and their rifles are fantastic. They have a fantastic warranty and their customer service is pretty good. This would be on the higher side of your budget.

On that other hand, you could always buy a base rifle like the S&W M&P Sport II and then use the remaining cash in your budget to upgrade anything to your liking after you've shot it for a while. The AR-15 world has so many options, and it's one of the things that make it great.

Unless you happen to live in Marylinistan where the M&P is illegal. That is when I tried to buy one about a year ago. Can't remember if it was the lack of HBar or copycat issue. Just get a Colt while you still can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom