• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just make sure those darnthings dont move on you. An old man was suffocated last year locally when he got trapped by one. I know you know that but thought I would mention it. A pile of them just fell over in the lane going back to my little range in Rhodesdale. Going over there right now. To sight in and then zero some rifles. Good luck over there, I hunted thereabouts years ago and that's a great place.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not knowing what the OP has for actual hunting land it's hard to say. I'm just not thrilled about the stand placement in the first place. He would probably be better served hunting that spot from a ground blind. It would allow for better scent control, I think. Kinda hard to tell from those photos though.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I put the stand up. I could not fit the 3rd ladder section. Seems pretty solid the way it is but just after putting it up and looking at strapping those 2 together I found what I felt was a better place not so in the open as this(Not pictured)
    #1 I don't want to attract too much attention from neighbors so moving to the other spot will be more discrete and less in the open. I found a big walnut tree that will really hide me from them visually and there is a pocket where I just need to trim 1 branch to get a good view of where the corn is.
    2 does, 3 fawns and 2 bucks were packed together this morning eating the corn.
    40414eb684e02c0b8e55175be7ff7c97.jpg

My son and I had spectators when putting up the stand
    2876cdc33be0dab1baf64b2f75dac148.jpg

Hard to see them in this image but I was zoomed in from the house
    1f26ee4d2f01238735f3991a1df95cb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My 2 cents is that looks like it would be better with a ground blind there, by it may be I can't see where the height gives better line of sight to something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yes, I was thinking to add a cover.
    Yes, I think it is a bit in the open.
    I am concerned a ground blind out in the open will spook the deer before they even get close.

I'm going to try to move that stand to the other tree this week. The other tree is bigger and fuller. Looking at it yesterday I think I could even put a ground blind there too and it would be hard to pick out.
    This tree has a better angle on the movement of the deer being perpendicular to the movement. The other tree they would be coming towards me until they start feeding and I'd be waiting for them to turn.

I'll try to get a pick of it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Here are some pics.
    In first pic you can see the existing placement of the stand faintly on the tree to the right. I put text showing where I want to move it per some suggestions here. The deer come in and out a trail (not on my property) on the tree line to the right. Most of the time (when I don't have corn), they head up that tree line which is off my property. Sometimes (many times when I have the corn) they head along the creek treeline that is on my property. half the time they head back from direction they came, sometimes keep going down the creek.

The big walnut tree has a small branch I'd have to trim and I'd have clear view to the area where the corn feeder will be. I would only have broadside shot AFTER they are feeding and start to move and turn (see pick where the corn bag is). I need to use a tree stand if I'm using muzzleloader or shotgun some day because there are houses on the other side of the tree line. If I'm using crossbow, not so big of a deal. For shotgun/muzzleloader the existing tree stand placement is safe.

Trailcam pick taken from a smaller tree close next to where feeder is.
    The buck is still in the felt.

Attachments

• treeline1a.jpg
      treeline1a.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 98
    • treestandtree.jpg
      treestandtree.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 97
    • treefeedarea.jpg
      treefeedarea.jpg
      88 KB · Views: 95
    • trailcam.jpg
      trailcam.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 82

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'd say go for the stand on the walnut and lop the limb off. It gives you much better coverage and in general, they will turn and present a shot. If up high enough, even if they don't turn broadside, if they come close under, you have a spine shot down and if you miss the spine, you've got a lung/heart shot (though not a double lung).

Probably a couple of things you've considered since your location is listed as HoCo. A stand is pretty much required unless you are bow hunting or using shot in a shotgun. Ground safety zone with slugs and rifles (I don't think ML are specifically mentioned) is 300 yards. It is 150 from a stand or with shot/bows. You might be further than that to a neighbor's house, but nearly a quarter mile is also a damn long distance. The safety zone is mentioned in HoCo statutes, not on the DNR website.

How far is it to the property line from where the feeder is/how friendly are you with the neighbors. Sometimes even a good hit an a deer can run 100+ yards (I am sure you know that). That is the kind of thing that would make me nervous hunting anything closer than about 100yds from a property line.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Here are some pics.
    The big walnut tree has a small branch I'd have to trim and I'd have clear view to the area where the corn feeder will be. I would only have broadside shot AFTER they are feeding and start to move and turn (see pick where the corn bag is).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is perfect. You want them relaxed when you nail them. A relaxed deer does not travel as far after being shot. Also relaxed deer bring in bigger deer to the feeder (bigger, older deer are more wary and ruthlessly use younger deer as scouts). If you shoot them when they are wary and coming into the feeder, you might miss the big one - and also the deer travel a lot farther. If they are relaxed, you might even bag a 2-fer. Even with your crossbow (I've done it).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well I am glad I posted this and you guys kept pushing me to move it. My son and I moved it today and I really like the new spot. If the deer approach from the normal direction the other trees will block their view as they approach until they are within range of a crossbow or bow. I am thinking i will put up some sort of backstop behind me to hide any movement of my profile.

Especially once the leaves of that black walnut tree fall

Stand
    4ce63a411e81f215b04db3fedd39d859.jpg

Approach
    780e990919546db754eb8f31163dda48.jpg

From the tree
    0fb1db4df7aa9199f57127b1d1dff655.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well I am glad I posted this and you guys kept pushing me to move it. My son and I moved it today and I really like the new spot. If the deer approach from the normal direction the other trees will block their view as they approach until they are within range of a crossbow or bow. I am thinking i will put up some sort of backstop behind me to hide any movement of my profile.

Especially once the leaves of that black walnut tree fall

Stand
    4ce63a411e81f215b04db3fedd39d859.jpg

Approach
    780e990919546db754eb8f31163dda48.jpg

From the tree
    0fb1db4df7aa9199f57127b1d1dff655.jpg

I was going to suggest a back stop. If you cut some oak branches(white oaks are best) with leaves on them, they should keep the leaves throughout deer season giving you good back cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom