• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Picked this up recently, kind of an interesting Japanese Arisaka variant. Although no documentation has ever been found on these it’s believed that they may have been pre-production/test rifles or were intended to train assembly line workers while the Jinsen Arsenal in Korea was gearing up for Type 38 rifle production in Jan/Feb 1942.

It’s believed only about 400 of these were made/marked in this manner, with the highest reported SN so far being 371. This one I found is #364. Instead of the mum they are marked on the top of the receiver with the characters meaning “for education”. What’s also interesting on mine that certainly seems to support established theories on these being made during the early testing/training phase in production is the error someone made while cutting the dust cover groove. They started cutting it just a tad to high on the left side of the receiver as seen in the pic before making the correction.

Unfortunately this one came in a beat up and sanded stock that did not appear to be what it originally would have been matched with. Kokura arsenal provided a lot of rifle parts to get Jinsen up and running including stocks, so I was able to track down a nice looking Kokura donor stock. While not the rifle’s original, it at least makes it display better and although the gun is not perfect, I may never come across another one of these!

Attachments

• 7A74879A-71C4-4DB1-B411-2039F46B473E.jpg
      7A74879A-71C4-4DB1-B411-2039F46B473E.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 388
    • 61BCAFD8-427B-45B3-AEF6-D041295BEF83.jpg
      61BCAFD8-427B-45B3-AEF6-D041295BEF83.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 354
    • 4A2E8832-62C9-4E0E-B46E-36948BE4BBCA.jpg
      4A2E8832-62C9-4E0E-B46E-36948BE4BBCA.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 358
    • C97841DB-5DA9-4B46-AE5B-41AC31FB5658.jpg
      C97841DB-5DA9-4B46-AE5B-41AC31FB5658.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 350
    Jul 1, 2012
    Now that's pretty interesting and a great catch.

Knowledge is power, 99% of folks would have just passed it by (me too probably).
    I'll add that to my "One Thing Learned Today" list :)

Is the rest of the gun marked in the normal fashion? (bolt etc)
    It looks comfortably at home in the Kokura stock.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia

Knowledge is power, 99% of folks would have just passed it by (me too probably).

Indeed, I got it cheap on Gunbroker as I think most people glossed over it. Some of the earlier ones had parts matching by last three of serial, however on the later ones it seems parts were proof marked but unnumbered (per the T38 book by Allan). Mine seems to be consistent with that, only part numbered is the receiver. All bolt components and other parts (floor plate, trigger guard, barrel band etc) are Jinsen proofed but unnumbered. Thankfully whenever someone swapped out the original stock they transferred over most the other original parts. Only part I'm not sure about is the lower tang, as someone took a grinder to it in order to get it to seat into the old beater stock so it's pretty buggered up and I can't tell if it was numbered/proofed (why someone would bubba a metal part instead of taking off a bit of wood off a beater stock is beyond me though).

Jul 1, 2012
    Good thing it went to someone that knows what it is instead of someone that would part it out or degrade it even more!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

+1! Never heard of this variant until today. Thanks for sharing!!

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Neat variant and great find. I, like others, would most likely have passed it by. Especially with the stock the way it is. Thanks for sharing and teaching me something I didn't know about Arisaka's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom