• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    So 1 of the legal ways to transport your handgun in MD is to and from a gun range, unloaded and in enclosed case. So if im coming from a gun range and get pulled over for whatever reason and ask if any weapons are in the car at the time and I say Yes, I was just coming from a gun range. Then what? Is the officer suppose to just take my word. How Do I suppose to prove I was actually coming from a place of shooting?

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    So 1 of the legal ways to transport your handgun in MD is to and from a gun range, unloaded and in enclosed case. So if im coming from a gun range and get pulled over for whatever reason and ask if any weapons are in the car at the time and I say Yes, I was just coming from a gun range. Then what? Is the officer suppose to just take my word. How Do I suppose to prove I was actually coming from a place of shooting?

The entire situation will dictate what happens.

if its 3 in the afternoon and you have a range bag sitting on the back seat then you probably won't have a problem.

if its 3am and your fidgeting and not making eye contact you will be questioned a lot harder.

In the end its up to the state to prove you were breaking the law and for them to prove you weren't legally transporting your firearm, but they can sure cause you an ass ache in the meantime.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Keep the firearms and ammunition in the trunk (seperated).

When the officer conducts a safety check of the passenger compartment for "officer safety", and finds nothing.

Just deal with him politely and take the ticket.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Assert your 5th amendment right to remain silent and take the ticket. Then be quiet. It's your right. If he asks to search, politely decline. If it's a temporary "detention" he can search the passenger compartment for his safety. But that's it.

And please guys spare me the "if I'm not doing anything wrong why not let him search". Go right ahead. Rights are lost a little at a time.

YMMV

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    What I'm saying is that it's all easily visible from the outside of the car. My cargo compartment is entirely visible from outside. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Is a gun-bag/earpro/eyepro probably cause?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Lock the bag. That's what I do

IMO gun gear in the back of your car or truck doesn't make you a criminal any more than a empty baby seat makes you a kidnapper. IMO it's not PC for anything but...

IANAL or a LEO

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

if its 3 in the afternoon and you have a range bag sitting on the back seat then you probably won't have a problem.

if its 3am and your fidgeting and not making eye contact you will be questioned a lot harder.

In the end its up to the state to prove you were breaking the law and for them to prove you weren't legally transporting your firearm, but they can sure cause you an ass ache in the meantime.

This is probably the first indicator. Does your story fit with what the scene.

Politeness and respect towards an officer, eye contact, not looking like your about to die of nerves (yes they know it's stressful to be pulled over)

If you don't have a dedicated passenger compartment, place it as far out of your reach as possible.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

IIRC Esqappellate said because of the narrow exceptions in 4-203, the burden is on you to prove you were engaged in the permitted activity.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia

No- its an affirmative defense that you have the burden of showing that you fit into one of the exceptions. This is one of the reasons my club has a sign in sheet. Proof you were at the range.

Mr H

Banana'd
    No- its an affirmative defense that you have the burden of showing that you fit into one of the exceptions. This is one of the reasons my club has a sign in sheet. Proof you were at the range.

But Rouchna has a valid point.

Prove you are GOING to the range...

That's a little more difficult.

Yes, in a REASONABLE world, that shouldn't be an issue... but this IS Maryland, after all.........

:mad54:

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    A non-lawyer answer....

Get a MD Designated Collector status

Then say, "I am a bona fide gun collector moving of part or all of my collection for private exhibition at my buddy's house."

Should work as long as each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster.

Or just answer honestly and state your business....whatever your career can stand.

Bottom Line: If you can't afford the time, don't think about doing the crime.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC

but don't you just have to raise the affirmative defense and it is the prosecutions job to disprove the defense?

Kind of like statue of limitations is an affirmative defense, all you have to say is that action is barred due to statue of limitations and its up to the other party to prove that its not past statue of limitations.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    IANAL, but I have never seen a Maryland law that states that you are required to tell an officer that you have firearms inside your vehicle during a traffic stop, even if he asks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom