• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    My 80+ YO Inlaws have moved in with me. As such, he asked me to retrieve his guns from his house in VA, giving them to me for letting him move in. I offered to pay for them but gave up after he refused to talk anymore about it. I know where the ol lady gets her stubborn streak :)

I knew he had kept a few firearms around the farm, but he hadn't touched them in at least 20 years.

This is what I returned with. They were under the bed wrapped in a blanket. All have varying degrees of surface corrosion and field wear. Did a little google fu on the serial numbers to date them

A Sears Model 200 12 GA, Ser 69XXX (1969?) Worst corrosion on barrel, receiver has worn bluing and the stock has a "bubba'd" repair that isn't flush with the grip. Functions well, not too dirty internally.

An Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 20 GA Ser 3711XXXXX (1969-1970?) Minor corrosion on barrel but overall great shape. Some field dings on the furniture but nothing major. Functions smooth as silk. (Stop drooling Shotgun Joe, it ain't for sale)

A Marlin Model 39A .22 Ser AA15XXXXX (1965?) Exterior corrosion, chamber is dirty as hell and lever won't fully function. Furniture is dark, but no dings.

So, it looks like I have a little restoration work to do. The corrosion bothers me because anything I can think of trying will mar the finish and require reblueing.

Looking for suggestions on how to proceed.

Attachments

• inlaws-guns.jpg
      inlaws-guns.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 95
    • sears-model-200.jpg
      sears-model-200.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 105
    • ithaca-37-featherlight.jpg
      ithaca-37-featherlight.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 124
    • marlin39a.jpg
      marlin39a.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 102

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Very nice! Hang on to that 39A for sure.

Oh yeah, NONE of these will be sold. I do plan to pass them down to grandkids/nephews in much better shape though.

I just downloaded the manual to break down the Model 39A to see whats gumming up the works.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Wow, those are nice. Of course, I have both the Ithaca and the Model 200. The Model 200 is a Winchester 1200 and has one of the slickest actions I have ever seen.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Soak metal parts in Kroil.

Wipe surface rust with Kroil using 0000 steel wool gently so you don't take away the bluing.

Wipe off the Kroil and clean with Eezox.

Apply more Eezox to all metal surfaces. Let sit overnight. Wipe off any un-dried/pooled. Repeat.

Edit: Damn, beaten.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thats not bad at all, I pulled some that were worse out of my grandfathers house and have seen a few in my carefully controlled climate get as bad (granted asian junk). Soak em, steel wool and forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom