• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I have a pretty decent electric knife sharpener, I may try that, but just curious... whats the best way to sharpen a machete? I never thought about it before but mine is getting a little dull now.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Belt sander. It'll sharpen quickly, keep the steel relatively cool (if you do your part right) polish the edge well, and create a durable convex edge.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I use my worksharp for mine but you can also take it to most any place that sharpens blades for equipment (lawnmowers, etc) and they'll do it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Harbour freight belt sander with 120 grit belts, light pressure, work fast so you don't heat it up, flip it once you get a burr along the entire edge, drag it across a block of wood to pull the burr off. Basically the way I sharpen just about all outdoor edged tools, holds an edge for a long time, is really quick, and gives a nice smooth convex edge without burning it. Grinding wheels heat up quicker, don't leave as smooth of a surface, and grind a concave "hollow" edge that doesn't support the tip as well.

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    File... Lose weigh, get in shape, free the mind of social issues, build self esteem, conquer your fear of something new, beat your chest, drink a beer, chop something up. Have a nice day.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I use a Dremel tool to sharpen chain saw, mower, and other garden tools. Have used it on the machete with good success. The guide kit that they sell works very well. Good blades are done by hand on an Arkansas stone and strop.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    if you are located anywhere near eldersburg, I will sharpen for you on my belt grinder.
    Stop by!
    pablo

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have a Ken onion worksharp that I use now, but I always used a single bastard file while clamped in a vise, wear leather gloves and work slow, it's easy to take material off and you cant put it back on.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I was gonna say, you could walk into a local machine shop with a 6 pack...

If yer willing to make the investment, I myself use an original Work Sharp belt sander style mini sharpener - pretty idiot proof. I use that for all my knives but before that, it was always machine shops + beer fer me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom