• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Looking for any Spyderco experts here. In the last week and a half I bought 3 Spyderco knives. The first was a Paramilitary 2. I like it a lot, maybe a bit big for what I need these days. Or to be legal to carry? The blade is marked Golden CO. It has a lock style I haven't seen before. Very impressed with the knife.
    The second one arrived today. It is a Persistence model. The blade is marked China. The box did not include any paper work/warranty info. It's a different steel than the Paramiltary 2 and it has a normal liner lock. Not quite as smooth an action as the Paramilitary. About 1 1/2" shorter overall so a nice size.
    My big question is does Spyderco make knives in China or did I get a counterfeit? Bought it thru Amazon so easy enough to return.
    I'm waiting on a Delica, scheduled to be delivered this week. Just trying to find a nice comfortable sized knife that is OK to carry w/o freaking people out. A member here recommened Spydercos to me. He uses a knife daily and had good things to say about them. I have several Kershaws but thought I'd try something different. Not really interested in recommendations, just info on the Spyderco line.

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm far from an expert, but I do know Spyderco does manufacture knives in China. My guess is they are sourced out to another company, but some of their knives do have blades market from China.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    MD has no blade length limit on folding pocket knives. Spyderco's "value" knives are made in China, including Persistence. The higher-end knives like Paramilitary 2 are made in USA.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thanks guys. Dreadpirate answered a PM and told me his new Delica was made in Japan. How's the blade quality on the "value" knives?
    I did think that MD had some jurisdictions with a less than3" rule. Good to know I'm wrong . Also in case I travel I think I may want to have one under 3". Don't plan on going to Chicago so the really short doesn't apply. Also, nothing wrong with my Kershaws for the money but just in case I go to the city don't want an assisted opening knife.
    Have to admit, I really like this Paramilitary even though I blew my budget. Just not sure it's practical enough to keep. Also, I went with boring black and looking at the camo grip have to say I should have got it.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Blade quality on the Chinese versions is good. Fit and finish is good. Operation is decent to good. MD case law established decades ago that there is no blade length limit on folding pocket knives. Any local ordinances to the contrary are void. I agree in regards to traveling. I never travel with a blade longer than 3" since there's a patchwork of length limits as you go from state to state.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Saw a great knife awhile ago. An Emerson CQC-14. A 2'75" blade with a full sized 5" handle but $200 is out of my price range:eek:

Sep 29, 2015
    Delmarva
    As others have said, Spyderco makes knives in China, Japan, the US, and Taiwan.

They don't necessarily use Taiwan and Japan due to cost as some knives from there end up being more expensive. The quality on the Japanese, Taiwan, and US stuff is good with good steels. The Chinese stuff is rumored to be made by Sanrenmu and uses 8cr13mov. It's a basic steel that will take a decent edge but is not the most durable or wear resistant. It's also not that stainless so make sure you take care of it.

The lock on your paramilitary is a the compression lock. It's one of the strongest locks they make and is similar to a liner lock but sandwiches the liner between the blade and a stop pin. There have been tests done and it always holds up to extreme abuse. The steel on the regular models is S30V and is a great EDC steel. They also make the paramilitary with other steels periodically as sprint runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you want a bad ass knife that's a little smaller, check out the gayle Bradley air, or the dice. Both made of great materials. Cpm m4 is my favorite steel hands down for putting on and then maintaining an excellent edge.

Sep 29, 2015
    Delmarva
    If you want a bad ass knife that's a little smaller, check out the gayle Bradley air, or the dice. Both made of great materials. Cpm m4 is my favorite steel hands down for putting on and then maintaining an excellent edge.

I'll second the recommendation of M4 steel, it's my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Blade quality on the Chinese versions is good. Fit and finish is good. Operation is decent to good. MD case law established decades ago that there is no blade length limit on folding pocket knives. Any local ordinances to the contrary are void. I agree in regards to traveling. I never travel with a blade longer than 3" since there's a patchwork of length limits as you go from state to state.

A word about this, be aware of how you interpret "local". Federal reservations in the area I've visited, usually restrict length to 2.5", if they allow anything at all.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    A word about this, be aware of how you interpret "local". Federal reservations in the area I've visited, usually restrict length to 2.5", if they allow anything at all.

Good point. I leave my knives in the car when I go on base or to federal buildings. I've forgotten a few times and had to do the walk of shame back to the car to drop them off.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Wow-these would be great knives but out of my budget range.:sad20:

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    As others have said, Spyderco makes knives in China, Japan, the US, and Taiwan.

(Snip)

Don't forget Italy! A Lionspy is on my "someday list" because of the country of origin and the rare use of Elmax in the lineup.
    My only Chinese Spyderco is the Tenacious and it is a tremendously good value. It was also the start of my Spyderco addiction. Starting off with a PMII is a strong step into the affliction and by many folks opinions, it's a hard act to follow.

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD

Agreed. I have a blue Domino ( the bigger brother to the Dice) and it's a very well executed flipper that really shows off what Spyderco can do. I just received a Gayle Bradely 2 in the mail this weekend and I'm excited to see how the mythical M4 performs.
    For travels in MD, however, I think the OP's recent purchases are perfectly fine and small enough to fly under the rainbow.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed. I have a blue Domino ( the bigger brother to the Dice) and it's a very well executed flipper that really shows off what Spyderco can do. I just received a Gayle Bradely 2 in the mail this weekend and I'm excited to see how the mythical M4 performs.
    For travels in MD, however, I think the OP's recent purchases are perfectly fine and small enough to fly under the rainbow.

The M390 Bento box shop exclusive? how do you like it? probably next on my list.

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    The M390 Bento box shop exclusive? how do you like it? probably next on my list.

No, sadly not the Bento Box Shop PMII. I think you misread my post, the blue and M4 were referencing two different knives. But I like the way you think.
    I do happen to have a new sprint run PMII with brown scales in S35VN. Perhaps after it arrives I'll take some pictures.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No, sadly not the Bento Box Shop PMII. I think you misread my post, the blue and M4 were referencing two different knives. But I like the way you think.
    I do happen to have a new sprint run PMII with brown scales in S35VN. Perhaps after it arrives I'll take some pictures.

Not the PM2, the blue domino, in (204P, not M390) was it this:
    PE_Blue_Domino.jpg

or the blue weave CF version, either way, how do you like it? I like a good fast flipper, and LOVE the manix 2 series as an EDC, this seems to be about the same blade shape including the forward choil, but a shorter handle, and flipper/framelock vs BB lock. Looks like a slightly more compact knife, but probably a more solid "high end" feel. Have no experience with 204P/M390, or even the standard CTS-XHP for that matter, but have heard plenty of favorable opinion on both, XHP being like a tough and hard stainless D2, and 204P taking a finer edge, and holding it for a lot longer than S30V. I'm not a huge steel snob, I do like good edgeholding and toughness, but have had some "supersteels" that didn't live up to the hype. Have a manix in S110V, and not thrilled with that steel, it doesn't wear at all, but chips and rolls easier than S30V, so "dulls" and still needs to be touched up about as often as the same knife in S30V, OTOH the H1 in my cheap Spydie serrated lockbacks has exceeded my expectations, insanely tough, I can beat on it, straighten the bent edge(never chipped yet), and it keeps going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom