• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I searched and did not see a single thread about this. Me and my boys have been having fun with some inexpensive throwing knives I gave them for Christmas. Perfect Point, $10/set of 3. No bent tips yet. I love the sound they make when they stick! Good throws seem to run in batches, probably when our distance is just right. Anybody else tried this?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I had fun with y boys. Just be sure you have a clear background well beyond the target to retrieve the missed throws that go beyond.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've always wanted to learn how to do this but never tried. I like the idea of a cheap, starter set as Christmas gifts. I may do this for my kids next year as a stocking stuffer

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I got a set given to me last year. I took them to work and a few of the guys and I threw them at a piece of plywood for a while. Pretty fun. I will say that it was not as easy as some
    make it look.

I would love to be good at it but that's pretty much where it ended. They are actually still in my toolbox at work.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If a BB gun can put your eye out, what in the world could happen with these?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    If you are throwing in grassy areas, it can be helpful to spray paint the handle a bright color to help find them if you miss. Also it's harder to stick in plywood rather than a real wood with a grain, I used to have a target in the backyard, that I made from a cut of a fallen tree I found on the way home one day. Or you can bolt a few 4 x 4s together.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I've got several throwing knives I've had since I was a kid. I was pretty good. Could throw right and left handed at the same time pretty accurately and both would stick.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I had fun with y boys. Just be sure you have a clear background well beyond the target to retrieve the missed throws that go beyond.

Here are a few safety tips that might not be obvious at first:
    * After you finish throwing, and a couple of you are bent over picking up knives at the same time, you grab the first one, then put it in your other hand and the point winds up right at face level.
    * Then one of my boys stood up with them in his hand pointing out. I saw the look on his face when he realized they passed pretty close to his brother.
    * Last thing is when they glance back right at the thrower. Kind of like how an arrow can skip off the edge of a target.

Fortunately, no injuries yet and we all have a little more respect for them.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    The "glance back" thing is only happens with light small knives. I still remember when years ago such knife bounced of the upper corner of the board and went up into the leaves of the tree, and I was standing not knowing were it would come down :)
    BTW, throwing stars are no less fun.

I would suggest getting Cold Steel "Perfect Balance Thrower" (that's one heavy thing though) and/or "True Flight Thrower" (the cost is around $20 for either one). They are bigger, but safer from my point of view and you feel turns better. On the other hand, Glock knife also a nice thing to throw and has other uses :)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you are throwing in grassy areas, it can be helpful to spray paint the handle a bright color to help find them if you miss. Also it's harder to stick in plywood rather than a real wood with a grain, I used to have a target in the backyard, that I made from a cut of a fallen tree I found on the way home one day. Or you can bolt a few 4 x 4s together.

Tell me about it. A year ago I was cutting the grass in the back yard and my son saws "Dad! Let me know if you see my throwing knife. I lost it about where are mowing right now."

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Y'know what's really easy to use as a bladed ranged weapon?

Circular saw blades.

Use the 24-tooth or similar low number, so they have bigger points, and they're like shuriken on steroids.

Yes, my MA past included playing with thrown weapons - I was never very good, but saw blades were FUN!!

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD

Circular saw blades.

Use the 24-tooth or similar low number, so they have bigger points, and they're like shuriken on steroids.

Yes, my MA past included playing with thrown weapons - I was never very good, but saw blades were FUN!!

Ha! Howz about a scalpel Frisbee!
    This dude's laugh gives me the creeps!

May 13, 2005

Circular saw blades.

Yes, saw blades are quite fun! if you can get the feel for throwing hatchets and tomahawks, they are a hoot too.. then try an axe :D But seriously, work your way up to it, it's not for the meek or weak.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Yes, saw blades are quite fun! if you can get the feel for throwing hatchets and tomahawks, they are a hoot too.. then try an axe :D But seriously, work your way up to it, it's not for the meek or weak.

Ah hatchets and axe throwing. The good ol days.
    Back at WVU I was on the Woodsman team (collegiate series of timber sports) and was the lead axe thrower on the team.

May 13, 2005
    Ah hatchets and axe throwing. The good ol days.
    Back at WVU I was on the Woodsman team (collegiate series of timber sports) and was the lead axe thrower on the team.

That's sweet, collegiate sharp shit throwing :) Didn't know they had that! lol

I learned a little bit on throwing the bigger stuff from some miners when I lived in AZ. There were a couple who work with and throw a pick axe and a sledge hammer better than most people could use a fork. Real life THOR kinda stuff. Would NOT want to be on the receiving end of a sledge. That was some crazy shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom