• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    BLUF - NFA trust principles will be required to submit prints and photos.

Can't insert link from phone but The Hill just published an new article about this. Draft rule is up on reg gov website as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    So what is the consensus of the hive on this? Paging Rusty....

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I think this falls into the "we have to something since evil congress won't" category.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Even though its effect on crime will be a null set

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Its not all about Trusts. Looks like theyre removing CLEO signoff for Individuals. They made mention of this a while back. For those filing as an Individual, there would be no CLEO signoff but the applicant would need to inform the CLEO of the NFA purchase.

"(3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO."

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I'll have to read the rule through in detail. From my brief perusal, it appears to be a good faith attempt to address a problem of their own making, namely that the ATF cannot seem to competently process trusts without placing additional burden on trustees.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I wonder if what you have on a trust already will be grandfathered in. I have a trust with five NFA items on it and I wasn't planning on anymore.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Well shit! I wonder how this will affect everyone including myself that have recently sent in forms through a trust? I imagine this change could happen before our forms are approved next spring making them incomplete at that point. Will this be retroactive or for new forms after the change is implemented.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I wonder if what you have on a trust already will be grandfathered in. I have a trust with five NFA items on it and I wasn't planning on anymore.

They have to.

When we received our NFA tax stamps, we were obeying the law at the time.

When getting a new NFA item, we will have to play by the rules that are in place at that time.

Last edited:

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    *sigh*

Have been waiting until after Oct 1 to get into NFA stuff due to $ constraints, and now this.

Things are unraveling fast now boy

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    This is a good thing.

The biggest hassle with NFA paperwork wasn't the photos and prints, it was the fact that you had to send it to two agencies (CLEO and BATFE) for sign-off. The main reason for most NFA trusts was to bypass CLEO sign-off.

Now you go straight to BATFE...one-stop.

Everyone thought they were clever with the NFA trust system. No one thinks of the potential downsides...particularly the possibility that the SC or some other court could rule that trusts don't enjoy the same rights (i.e. 2A) as individual citizens, if someone wanted to press the issue.

I am surprised that so many people just wanted to pretend that this wasn't coming.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Its not all about Trusts. Looks like theyre removing CLEO signoff for Individuals. They made mention of this a while back. For those filing as an Individual, there would be no CLEO signoff but the applicant would need to inform the CLEO of the NFA purchase.

"(3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO."

sounds like an improvement to me

so it is just a draft? or when does it take effect?

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    This is a good thing.

The biggest hassle with NFA paperwork wasn't the photos and prints, it was the fact that you had to send it to two agencies (CLEO and BATFE) for sign-off. The main reason for most NFA trusts was to bypass CLEO sign-off.

Now you go straight to BATFE...one-stop.

Everyone thought they were clever with the NFA trust system. No one thinks of the potential downsides...particularly the possibility that the SC or some other court could rule that trusts don't enjoy the same rights (i.e. 2A) as individual citizens, if someone wanted to press the issue.

I am surprised that so many people just wanted to pretend that this wasn't coming.

This isn't fully directed at you, but...

I disagree that having to submit photos and fingerprints for inclusion in some massive government database to exercise a fundamental human right can ever be considered a good thing.

Looks like I missed the boat on getting into NFA items.

*Cue the "if you don't have something to hide..." responses*

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This isn't fully directed at you, but...

I disagree that having to submit photos and fingerprints for inclusion in some massive government database to exercise a fundamental human right can ever be considered a good thing.

Looks like I missed the boat on getting into NFA items.

*Cue the "if you don't have something to hide..." responses*

They can argue that you can still (in free States) buy firearms without all of the hubub of photos/prints. A SBR or AOW is not necessary for the exercise of that right. Of course, if you look at Miller, they looked at military firearms in use at the time. In this era, that would be the M4, which is both FA and a SBR.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom