Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)

Notices

Old May 10th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #151
GolfR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdasto View Post
The style of shooting involved in 3-gun and Action Shooting does involve off-angle shooting (not directly at the impact area). Dirt is the best side wall material. Before anyone asks, these barriers will get shot up after several thousands of rounds and "leak" but Hesco makes patches. These are the best options for us right now.
To further this, the use of Hescos for shooting backstops is pretty much SOP in the military. Every shooting range I saw in Afghan used Hescos and while they did start to look a little beaten, full auto 30 cal, mini gun, 50 cal, and all the rifles on base barely made a dent after more than a year of use. Once the dirt on the inside settles it's almost as solid as a concrete wall but the surface absorbs impact very well.
GolfR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #152
kyserthehun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy3006 View Post
Who did we hire to design the range and when will we see a drawing?

What will the design cost and what is the projected cost of the range?
Looks like you didn't get an answer but i'm interested as well.
kyserthehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 01:32 PM   #153
tdasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyserthehun View Post
Looks like you didn't get an answer but i'm interested as well.
Sorry that I missed the first request...

Who did we hire to design the range? The "range" is made up of the 200-yd safety berm (now built) and five shooting bays. The safety berm I designed for free. The shooting bays are being designed by committee of interested AGC Badge Holders. The committee will meet again after the berm has passed final inspection (still waiting for more grass to grow) and they will send their design specification to the AGC Executive Committee and then to the Trustees for approval.

What will the design cost and what is the projected cost of the range? As previously stated the design is free. The safety berm ran about $92,000 for construction which included free dirt. I received several quotes for construction and non-free dirt for twice that amount. We got a deal. Additionally, the Trustees approved the sale of 100 15yr AGC Range Badges to fund the cost of the berm and range. We needed 52 15yr badges sold to cover the cost of the berm which we recently accomplished. The remainder of sales will fund the construction of the five shooting bays and I plan to build as much of it as possible with those funds.
tdasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 01:36 PM   #154
tdasto

I doubt that will be acceptable.
tdasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #155
Art3
Eqinsu Ocha

This may start out as a gripe...but I'll end it with a question to keep it in line with the thread title.

Last Sunday (6/17/18), when we first got to the Barnes Range in the late morning, cease fires were being called consistently late, by about 5 min. There did not appear to be a match going on that would have affected the timing. This was a little annoying, but not the end of the world. Later in the afternoon, we joined a club shoot at the far end of the range, and the cease fires started being called even later...ten to fifteen minutes after the hour and half hours. At this point, it was becoming less tolerable because we had a match going on that required regular target changes.

Our club president went to find the RSO at the range house to see what was going on at 15 past the hour (honestly, I don't remember which hour...probably 3pm) and was told, "I'm too busy to call a cease fire." How can an RSO be too busy for 15 minutes to call a cease fire? In the interest of safety, if whatever he had going on was so important that it demanded that much of his full attention, he probably should have made the range cold in the first place until he was finished and could get back to officiating range safety. Was there no other RSO on duty? (apparently not)

Also, while we were standing around, waiting for a cease fire, my father witnessed a negligent discharge from somewhere towards the middle of the line. He saw the guy shoot while standing, then bring the rifle down to a low ready position when it went off, into the drainage ditch directly in front of the concrete pad. That's the sort of thing that probably should be reported to an RSO, but if he's too busy to call a scheduled cease fire, what's he going to do about something unexpected like that?

We've been AGC members for almost six years. This was the first time I didn't feel safe.

So, to put this gripe into the form of a question, "Is there usually only one RSO working the Barnes Range on Sundays? Can we have two?"

Thank you.

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #156
SKIP

Look at the RSO schedule and you will see only one with some overlap on the second shift. It is not easy for one to supervise multiple ranges.
On the other hand there is the cost involved and the new minimum wage.
SKIP is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)