• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 27, 2018
    Hello. I am a md resident and I recently was gifted my great grandfathers 1926 Colt police 38 from an out of state relative. He was a nypd inspector and won the gun in a competition on august 26, 1926. The gun is patented oct. 1926. I've never owned a gun prior to this and want to make sure that I am on the right side of the law. Based on what ive read there is a 2013 md law requiring I get a hql, but ATF says it should be an eligible c&r. So I'm confused, but i know i have my hunters safety certificate from the late 90s. Im scared to ship it anywhere and dont really trust the gun leaving my home. Its priceless to my family and i would like to insure it and pass it down.

Also, once my ducks are in a row, i would like to fire it. Any care tips for a newbie would be apprieciate. And what kind of ammo can i use? It has been kept in its original holster for most of its life.

Attachments

• 15170681268511104479387.jpg
      15170681268511104479387.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 535
    • 15170682049951813928869.jpg
      15170682049951813928869.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 422
    • 151706823852980946749.jpg
      151706823852980946749.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 428
    • 1517068279395335199990.jpg
      1517068279395335199990.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 441
    • 1517068347656860587664.jpg
      1517068347656860587664.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 418
    • 1517068389635157932583.jpg
      1517068389635157932583.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 420

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    That’s beautiful, your right to get your ducks in a row in md. And I would insure that also.

I don’t know much about these things but someone who does will be along soon enough

And don’t forget to do the introduction thing.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The gun is C&R eligible, so no need for HQL.
    If the gun is coming from outside MD, it must be transferred through an FFL.
    The gun is probably shootable, but have a gunsmith check it out to err on the side of caution.
    I have never seen ivory finished that way; more usual for bone or staghorn. The cracks worry me. If it was my gun I'd put a set of wood grips on it for shooting purposes, but I'm no expert. It would be sad to have them fall apart in my hand.

As has been noted, very nice gun.

Jan 27, 2018
    Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. Im not sure if they're ivory either, but it was what i was told. Ive done some searching for colt ivory grips and have found two colts a 38 and a 22 long (which i beleive may be the next generation) with identical looking grips and read they stopped putting on the checkered wood w/emblem i think in 23. Maybe he changed the grips a few years later.

With the c&r? Do i have to send it away?

Whats an FFL?

I have a friend who is a liscened gunsmith/builder and i hope to have him look at it this week. Does it require a special loaded "period" ammo?

Thanks again! You quick replies made my afternoon.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Very nice :thumbsup: as others have stated the grips are not ivory, keep them for show get wood/polymer for when you shoot. I would recommend find a friend/gunsmith that can brake the gun down to get to that surface rust on the hammer, under the cylinder release, cylinder and crain you can take care of that with a little 0000 steel wool and mobile One oil. Take the grips off and check the area under them. NEVER store the gun in a holster, get a gun rug or gun sock for storage. Bass pro for $5-6.

About the C&R FFL/03 Look for and read the sticky's in the forum Curio and Relic (C&R)

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    FFL is a holder of a Federal Firearms License.

They come in different flavors; interstate transfers of firearms must be handled through a Federal license holder. Gun dealers (FFL01), collectors (FFL03), manufacturers (FFL07) and pawnbrokers (I dunno their FFL #) all have versions of this license.

The C&R license empowers collectors to purchase and import firearms from other states. They are forbidden to deal in forearms as a business, and they are limited to purchasing firearms older than 50 years, or those which are listed by the BATFE as curios or relics. This license is of no use in MD for transactions within the state, though it is fine for buying guns from outside.

If your pistol is not in MD you could obtain a C&R license for $30 - takes about a month. Then you could have the pistol sent to you or pick it up yourself, with no need to deal with MSP (Maryland State Police) or any other FFL. MD would have no record of your ownership; all records would be logged into your books. You could receive a firearm from an unlicensed person in any state, except MD.

FFL01 is your neighborhood gun store owner. He can buy and sell across state lines, and is most likely going to be the transfer agent between an out-of-state seller and a MD purchaser. For transferring a regulated firearm within the state, you can use this guy, or go to an MSP barracks for transfers between individual within the state.

There's a box to check off a C&R-eligible firearm on the MD forms; use it for the appropriate firearm, and you will not need an HQL.

A positive note: if you do acquire this pistol and properly register it with the state (which will be done automatically if you go through MSP or FFL01) you will be exempt from the training requirement to obtain an HQL, which you will need to buy a modern (<50 year old) firearm in MD.

On the whole, it might prove simpler to move to a free state. The Free State is not. (This is sarcasm, more or less).

FFL is a holder of a Federal Firearms License.

They come in different flavors; interstate transfers of firearms must be handled through a Federal license holder. Gun dealers (FFL01), collectors (FFL03), manufacturers (FFL07) and pawnbrokers (I dunno their FFL #) all have versions of this license.

The C&R license empowers collectors to purchase and import firearms from other states. They are forbidden to deal in forearms as a business, and they are limited to purchasing firearms older than 50 years, or those which are listed by the BATFE as curios or relics. This license is of no use in MD for transactions within the state, though it is fine for buying guns from outside.

If your pistol is not in MD you could obtain a C&R license for $30 - takes about a month. Then you could have the pistol sent to you or pick it up yourself, with no need to deal with MSP (Maryland State Police) or any other FFL. MD would have no record of your ownership; all records would be logged into your books. You could receive a firearm from an unlicensed person in any state, except MD.

FFL01 is your neighborhood gun store owner. He can buy and sell across state lines, and is most likely going to be the transfer agent between an out-of-state seller and a MD purchaser. For transferring a regulated firearm within the state, you can use this guy, or go to an MSP barracks for transfers between individual within the state.

There's a box to check off a C&R-eligible firearm on the MD forms; use it for the appropriate firearm, and you will not need an HQL.

A positive note: if you do acquire this pistol and properly register it with the state (which will be done automatically if you go through MSP or FFL01) you will be exempt from the training requirement to obtain an HQL, which you will need to buy a modern (<50 year old) firearm in MD.

On the whole, it might prove simpler to move to a free state. The Free State is not. (This is sarcasm, more or less).

In your situation, the highlighted part about getting your own Curios and Relics (C&R) FFL may be your best bet. It will take a little longer, but will actually be easier and cheaper than having it shipped to a Maryland dealer/01FFL. You will be paying the out of state FFL ~$30 for their service + shipping of ~$25 + the MD FFL ~$50. The total fee to transfer a privately owned pistol from out of state will run in the ballpark of $100. A C&R is $30 for 3 years and you can use it to collect other eligible firearms as well.
    All of this, of course, is assuming you are an upstanding citizen and legally allowed to own firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom