• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hey guys,

I understand that MD laws prohibit the CC of gravity knives and switchblades. Technically, a spring-assisted knife is different, but has anyone ran into problems with law enforcement over one of these?

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I've never had a problem but I also don't use my knives in front of police officers or ask them about it. I am 100% confident spring assisted are legal but I am only 25% a given LEO will understand the difference between spring assisted and automatic knives like switchblades.

They sell spring assisted knives like the SOG flash II at Dick's which I am sure would not occur if they were illegal.

swimtb

Jul 17, 2013
    crofton area
    Never had any law enforcement issues and I have been carrying a assisted opening for almost 25 yrs. I do know that assisted opening is illegal to carry in Ocean City. I would say don't do anything to give law enforcement a reason to make your knife an issue. Again switch it out before heading to the beach.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Whatever happened subsequently, or his prior dirtbagness, a spring assisted knife was the PC for F. Grey .

How the exposed pocket clip of assisted looks different from the pocket clip of non-assisted, I don't know.

Meanwhile; assisted is perfectly legal under State & Federal law. Baltimore City, OC ( & Rockville ? ) have local ordances.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If it's a knife where you have to touch part of the blade to deploy it, you're good to go. The flipper and/or thumb studs are part of the blade on most spring-assisted knives -- therefor not switch blades. These knives are literally everywhere.

That said, I carry a Kerhaw Skyline daily. No spring in it at all, but if you keep it cleaned and tune it right, and practice a bit, the blade can be deployed very easily and reliably. Knife is legal pretty much anywhere in MD. IANAL.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well, someone killed him, he was alive when the police found him with the knife.

It was this guy.

darwin-as-an-old-man-337-450-17.jpg

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Spring assisted are considered separate from switchblades in Maryland due to how state law defines a switchblade (Criminal Code 4-105), which requires that the knife have some kind of actuator (button, slider etc) manipulated in the handle. For reference, switchblades are illegal to sell or offer for sale under this law. If spring assisted were considered the same thing, thousands of store owners in the state would be in jail.

Given a spring assisted is a folding knife and is not s switchblade, it counts as a penknife (Mackall v State), and is exempt from the concealed carry statute (4-101). Be wary of local city laws. Baltimore City's has a ordinance against switchblades that uses different definition of what they are, and that definition is inclusive of spring assisted knives. That is why Freddie Gray was arrested, btw. Mosby's public statement that his knife was legal under state law is correct, but she did not account for city law, which is why the false imprisonment charge was dropped from the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom