• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddn3f

Jul 23, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    Hi, I currently live in VA and in the next 6 months be moving to MD. I do not currently own a firearm, but I plan to purchase one. I read that in MD, handguns purchased after 2003 are required to have an internal mechanical safety device.

So I am looking to buy a S&W M&P 9. Which version should I buy so that it is legal in MD when I move.

209001: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $656.00
    109001: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a (California Compliant)
    209201: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $656.00
    109201: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $656.00 (California Compliant)
    209301: 17 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $656.00
    109301: 10 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $656.00
    209401: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a
    109401: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a (California Compliant)
    209601: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a
    109601: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $ n/a (California Compliant)

ddn3f

Jul 23, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    Thanks for the quick responses guys.

My fiance works in Baltimore and I work in DC. MD doesn't seem all that bad. Are AR 15s legal to own in MD as well? Any special requirements?

Koszmar

Apr 3, 2009
    Manchester

My fiance works in Baltimore and I work in DC. MD doesn't seem all that bad. Are AR 15s legal to own in MD as well? Any special requirements?

They are legal but there is a 7 day wait period because they are regulated.

ddn3f

Jul 23, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    Regulated?

What does regulated mean? What if I buy out of state and bring it in? If I buy in MD, then I have to get the 10 round mags. Any other information I should take into consideration?

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County
    Also, load up on 30 round mags for the AR while you are still in VA. You can't buy anything over 20 rounds in MD. But it’s perfectly legal to bring them into the state and to posses. Just order them online and have them delivered to your place in VA online prices seem to be better than store prices.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    handguns and evil black riffles are regulated in maryland requiring more extensive background checks and mandatory 7 day waiting period. so buy those before you come to maryland if you can.

There is a list of firearms that you can no possess in MD no matter where they were purchased, I'm sure someone can find the link for that list.

you can only PURCHASE magazines of 20 or less rounds in maryland but you can own any capacity magazine and you can buy them out of state and transport them over state lines.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

MD BS is way worse than VA:

- no concealed carry permits for "self defense" unless you are a business owner who handles A LOT of cash deposits, OR if the local police insist that the state police issue the permit. The most recent example was the blogger ProGunProgressive, who only got his permit after higher-ups in the Baltimore PD insisted that the state police issue him one after he got death threats from being too active helping the PD round up neighborhood thugs and dealers. The MSP rejected his application as "not having a 'good and substantial reason'" for a permit (the vague standard under MD law). He only got it on appeal after several high-placed phone calls were made.

- MD laws say you can only transport your handguns between home and the range or gunsmith (and a few other exceptions, like "dog obedience training"). If you stop for an errand during the drive, or leave your gun in your car all day while at work for a trip to the range later, you are committing a "crime" that could land you up to three years in jail if caught. There is a raging debate statewide over whether the handgun magazines need to be unloaded during the transport. Several law enforcement sources tell us "yes," but no statute, regulation, or court decisions says that, or is cited. The handgun law in MD just says that the handgun needs to be "unloaded" during the transport.

- magazines are limited for purchase and sale, or "offer for sale," to no more than 20 rounds. But you can buy them out of state all you want and bring them back with you.

- The stupid "shell casing" (whatever that is) law means that many new or custom guns are not available for sale in MD. You can get around the law by paying a licensed "manufacturer" here to collect a fired cartridge case, but that is time and expense.

- The stupid "integrated mechanical safety device" law currently allows you to buy a handgun ONLY if (1) it has a built-in lock, the kind that seems to fail and lock itself unexpectedly or (2) you shell out $20-40 for one of those "Omega Locks" that nobody ever actually uses.

- "Regulated" means that is a handgun or an "assault weapon or its copy" per a specific list of makes and models. Buying one of these evil "guns only for hunting people" :rolleyes: means that you (1) have to show proof of 'safety training' (hunter ed or DD214 or watch the 20-min video at the gun store, (2) fill out a 3-page form, to include mental health records waiver (SSN is not required, don't put it down even though it's on the form); and wait "7 days" so the state police can run a check to determine if they can "disapprove" the sale.

I moved here from VA for similar reasons as you are contemplating (I got married and my wife owned a home here). We all do what we have to do. MD is way better than DC or NJ or NY/NYC or MA, that's for sure (but not saying that much).

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think everything has been covered so far, but one important thing is in MD you have to be 21 to even possess most handguns and the regulated long guns. You also cannot buy regulated from other state residents withut going through either the MD state police or a MD regulated firearms dealer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Internal safety lock

Is it legal to own a gun without one of those? So if I bring a S&W M&P 9 from VA without the lock, is that legal?
    Actually it can be a removeable gun lock as long as it works internally basically. In other words it can be a gun made without a gun lock and you can insert a separate gun lock designed to work inthe chamber and barrel. SO this means that even though there is the law the gun has to be sold with this lock, any gun made before 1985 or made after 1984 and is on the handgun roster can be bought in MD regardless of if it has a built in gun lock.

YOu can own any handgun you bring with you in MD regardless of the year of manufacture or if it is on the handgun roster if you are over 21. The exceptions are fourteen pistols banned in MD (well, thirteen now because one made the roster somehow). These are the fourteen thirteen?. http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=168891&postcount=13
    Sorry, what is the shell casing law?
    Maryland has a ballistic fingerprinting "database" of all new guns sold in MD and new guns require a spent shell casing so they can sticki it into a storage shed for a half dozen years and do nothing with it. What the shell casing law does is to make it hard to get guns directly from manyfacurer for Marylanders and keeps some out of state dealers from dealing with us.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sorry, what is the shell casing law?
    If you buy a new regulated gun or new handgun, it needs to come with a fired shell casing. The shell casing gets sent by your FFL to the MSP, where they will do something with it. So as far as we can tell, that "something" is nothing.

Thus, if you're buying on gunbroker or something, you'll need to make it comes with a fired shell from the manufacturer, or buy one used. Or you can engage the services of a local FFL 07 to fire a shell for you, for a fee (and do the transfer!). I've heard _rumor_ that some of the manufacturers will provide a fired shell casing if you ship the gun back to them - Sig in particular, but there may be others.

Personally, I just bought a used gun. Didn't feel like dealing with it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Get your C&R, get a Romanian, Yugo, or Russian TT-33 or TTC. 7.62x25 is a much better round than 9mm. As others have said, load up on mags and anything you want before you move to this horrible state. One thing to pay attention to is the "assault pistol" list, you cannot bring them to MD.

Mark

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If you buy a new regulated gun or new handgun, it needs to come with a fired shell casing. The shell casing gets sent by your FFL to the MSP, where they will do something with it. So as far as we can tell, that "something" is nothing.

Thus, if you're buying on gunbroker or something, you'll need to make it comes with a fired shell from the manufacturer, or buy one used. Or you can engage the services of a local FFL 07 to fire a shell for you, for a fee (and do the transfer!). I've heard _rumor_ that some of the manufacturers will provide a fired shell casing if you ship the gun back to them - Sig in particular, but there may be others.

Personally, I just bought a used gun. Didn't feel like dealing with it.

One correction, it is not all regulated firearms, it is just the handguns that need the shell casing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom