• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I stumbled across an c prefix 1897 shotgun with two serialized barrels one is a 20'' cylinder marked tube in 12 gauge the other is 30" and marked full. The gun is also a take-down model with hard rubber butt plate and in reasonable shape. Could anyone give any insight on what I'm seeing. There are no ordnance markings or LE rack numbers or markings that can be seen.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The shorter tube has been stamped over modified with cyl. I was hoping someone knew more about factory conversions. It is two serialized barrels matched to the receiver however and was professionally done a long time ago. I chose to stay away from it because I don't need another and I cant confirm a riot option, thanks for the reply though.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    The shorter tube has been stamped over modified with cyl. I was hoping someone knew more about factory conversions. It is two serialized barrels matched to the receiver however and was professionally done a long time ago. I chose to stay away from it because I don't need another and I cant confirm a riot option, thanks for the reply though.

Somebody made a deer barrel. What was/is the asking price?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    500 bucks, minor forearm splits on both the 3 screw fore-end, 30% finish on the shortened barrel. Hard rubber butt plate on factory inlet for teardrop steel plate with correct rounded pistol grip. No oil drenched wrist with no cracks improved ejector spring with tight lockup on both tubes with no adjustment to interrupted thread mechanism. There is some very minor pits (g) to the barrel in front of the forcing cone in one or two spots on each barrel from BP shot shells bores are generally good. Chambers have not been length-ed or forcing cones opened up. 70% finish remaining on action and additional barrel.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, the problem is, once I get a hold on something I have a hard time parting with it so I figured I'd just let it go. If I picked it up I couldn't separate the barrels and would just relegate it to the vault and maybe someone else would enjoy it more. If I was really into 97's it would be a no brainer. Then again, if it's still around for awhile I can still grab it. I have a E prefix thats a pretty good card gun. Maybe if I dont go deer hunting tomorrow morning I'll take it to the Federalsburg VFW turkey shoot.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I just got one of these but the barrels had different serial numbers. The receiver and full choke are from 1925 and the modified choke is from 1931. Also, the wooden slides are different. The older one is kind of straight and the newer one is kind of rounded over. Did Winchester just sell barrels? Both barrels are 30".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom