• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Curious as to what everyone recommends for AR-15 drum mags that are reliable? Thanks in advance.

shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    I have cheapo 50rd plastic one that works great. Ill take a look when I remember and find the brand. I have 100rd c drum thats all jammed up. Friend has the same issue.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Curious as to what everyone recommends for AR-15 drum mags that are reliable? Thanks in advance.

BETA C mag 100 round drums are the gold standard of reliability, and as expected they are the most expensive and the hardest to find.

I have cheapo 50rd plastic one that works great. Ill take a look when I remember and find the brand. I have 100rd c drum thats all jammed up. Friend has the same issue.

The 100 round “c” drum that you say is all jammed up: did you buy it at a gun show?

If so, you almost certainly have the cheap Korean KCI knock-off and not a legit Beta C mag, which is very reliable, and almost impossible to find at a gun show.

Here’s how you check what you have: on the KCI Korean knock-off, the two front facing plates have a “ratchet edge”, (see picture below) while the leading edge of the Beta C has two perfectly smooth circles forming the front-facing plates.

Attachments

• CD447D70-499B-4AEB-8584-F7EC1549AD77.jpeg
      CD447D70-499B-4AEB-8584-F7EC1549AD77.jpeg
      28.6 KB · Views: 433

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Most of mine are Pmags or GI style aluminum mags. You can't go wrong with either. Pmags are more reliable/take abuse a little better than the older aluminum ones.

I like Hexmags a lot too—they aren't as well known as Magpul products, but I haven't had an issue with them. Most of the newer poly mags are fine, honestly, Magpul was simply the first decent poly mag to market and the the gold standard every one of them is competing with.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Most of mine are Pmags or GI style aluminum mags. You can't go wrong with either. Pmags are more reliable/take abuse a little better than the older aluminum ones.

I like Hexmags a lot too—they aren't as well known as Magpul products, but I haven't had an issue with them. Most of the newer poly mags are fine, honestly, Magpul was simply the first decent poly mag to market and the the gold standard every one of them is competing with.

I was wondering about the Hex Mags, I was looking to get some of those for my 300 black out due to the different feel the mag has. I may look at those more in depth. I ended up buying a couple of Magpul 300 blk mags but blindfolded they feel too similar to the 556 mags.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a couple of their 60 rd mags , Only used one of them and it was flawless
    I too wish they weren't so expensive , Guess that's why I only have 2 .

My drums run flawless and are beautifully made but a PITA to load, thinking a 60 and 100 rd mag would be much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom