• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In all honesty, I didn't dig in on this because I don't practice open carry. I would never want to give away my tactical advantage, nor would I want to give some moron an excuse to pick a fight with a older chubby guy. When I'm in the Commonwealth, I carry concealed everywhere, except where prohibited. When I'm in the gulag of Marylandistan, I carry while working because that's what my permit says I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it, some folks don't OC and I won't bust your balls for that decision. But on the other hand please don't interject the opinion of one particular LEO as law for the entire commonwealth thereby discouraging someone who might want to be able to defend himself and his loved ones, even by a practice that you yourself don't engage in.

And go get your restrictions lifted.

I wish you well.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I get it, some folks don't OC and I won't bust your balls for that decision. But on the other hand please don't interject the opinion of one particular LEO as law for the entire commonwealth thereby discouraging someone who might want to be able to defend himself and his loved ones, even by a practice that you yourself don't engage in.

And go get your restrictions lifted.

I wish you well.

I appreciate that. Here is my general line of thought, even if only one lawman that I encounter has a conservative view of carry laws, a reasonable assumption is that there are other lawmen that have the same view. While a court of law might exonerate me after arrest, I could still get arrested, something I'd prefer to avoid, even with my $1,125,000 of carry insurance.

BTW, I have a hearing with the HPRB on 12/5.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I appreciate that. Here is my general line of thought, even if only one lawman that I encounter has a conservative view of carry laws, a reasonable assumption is that there are other lawmen that have the same view. While a court of law might exonerate me after arrest, I could still get arrested, something I'd prefer to avoid, even with my $1,125,000 of carry insurance.

BTW, I have a hearing with the HPRB on 12/5.

IANAL (lawman, not lawyer) but wouldn't said lawman have to cite what statute you violated upon arresting you? I'm sure some of our legal eagles can weigh in, but in the mean time I'd wager that if you were arrested for no other reason than simply open carrying that your bank account would grow exponentially.

And good for you on the hearing, I plan on being there on the 5th, please make sure to introduce yourself.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I go to Pa often. Before I had a Pa permit I would open carry anywhere I wanted to go. I also saw several females open carrying many places. Key is, I have no idea with tight jeans and shirts how they could ever conceal!

(Right after I posted the girls in the gym ad appeared. How appropriate. )
    d7df73b6394b7d5a0462ed7887145a35.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't want to reignite the whole OC vs CC thing . But currently for most Md'ers it is OC vs No C in Pa , setting different parameters .

From my experience and observation , OC is common in most of Pa . The topic is extensively covered in the excellent PAFOA forum .

It seems the "harassment" is mainly in a few townships in Phila vicinity . The " harassment" is mainly in requesting ID from OC'ers . ( Under State Law , no grounds for demanding ID for mere carry w/o seperate cause that crime being committed . This is where Pa OC activists push back, and ultimately prevail . If you were to be pragmatic about not simultaneously being 4A activist , and providing ID in the unlikely event of being asked , you could OC with zero negative consequences .)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    PA has state preemption. No county or township can make a carry law that conflicts or changes state statutes. The exception is Philly, which being a city of the first class (over 1 million population) can make their own rules. That’s why you need a permit to OC in Philly

Preemption statute

Title 18 SS 6120

Attachments

• pa 6120.jpg
      pa 6120.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 225
    Last edited:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    And we know that every county sheriff's deputy is completely up on their respective state's carry law and that what they tell you in the permit office is gospel, right?

C'mon, man, leave the BGOS in MD.

A decent argument for not having permits issued by multiple agencies. OTOH, get a single organization like MSP and... .

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    If PA is still undera state of emergency you would need a permit that is recognized by PA to oc. I have seen many do it and have never seen any reaction by others.

Nobody

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    PA has state preemption. No county or township can make a carry law that conflicts or changes state statutes. The exception is Philly, which being a city of the first class (over 1 million population) can make their own rules. That’s why you need a permit to OC in Philly

Preemption statute

Title 18 SS 6120

A slight correction. Philly cannot "make their own rules" just because they are a city of the first class.
    That determination has been made by the PA State Legislature, not Philadelphia.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    If PA is still undera state of emergency you would need a permit that is recognized by PA to oc. I have seen many do it and have never seen any reaction by others.

Nobody

Thank you, and yes, this is correct. Due to Wol's unending State of Emergencies, a PA LTCF or recognized alternative is required for ANY form of carry (or transport for the purpose of carry) while the SoE is in effect.
    And he keeps renewing them as they expire. Go figure. :rolleyes:

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    How do you open carry when the weather turns cold? Even with a coat unzipped it would conceal a firearm.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good base layers , warm waist length jacket, some what lower riding holster on the order of a Border Patrol .

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Then it's not OC , it's CC and you need a permit
    e.

That was my point.

Not sure I can picture a shoulder holster over a heavy jacket but I guess a tactical thigh holster would work, thanks all.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Perhaps a shorter heavy jacket like cops use might work. They need access to their sidearm.

I've seen heavy jackets with a cut out for your firearm perhaps

Or a motorman's jacket but with a newer style. Short enough to not conceal the firearm?

Attachments

• motorman2.jpg
      motorman2.jpg
      5.2 KB · Views: 160

Vswillj1

Oct 1, 2018
    So short of the long is I can’t get a PA CC permit without a MD CC

My morals are not for sale, my integrity is worth my existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom