• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    That's BS. My FFL let me use the same one for multiple purchases. I'll try and research the law if I remember when I'm work tomorrow, cuz now I'm curious. Like someone said above, won't matter if they are just aholes

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My read of "legislative intent" is that no handguns except a few revolvers have an "integrated" safety device as actually intended. The concept of the bore lock was authorized (by the roster board, about a year after the law in 03?) because police could not buy their Berettas, as they did not have an "integrated" device. So the board graciously allowed bore locks to pass muster, otherwise it would be a complete ban on new guns except for Smith and Wesson and Taurus revolvers which had the Hillary hole. Thats my recollection anyway.

I have a Walther semi-auto that has the required integrated safety device. Its a pain because the key often jams in the gun in the locked position.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Asking for a friend,,
    News to me that MD requires a bore lock with the purchase of a new or used handgun??
    I have seen cable locks though.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Asking for a friend,,
    News to me that MD requires a bore lock with the purchase of a new or used handgun??

I've bought several new and used handguns over the last several years. Never had anyone mention one of those bore locks to me. I don't think I've ever seen one.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    There is a list of approved devices. I found it in quite a few threads, there is even a thread devoted borrowing it.

As far as I can tell it's been the law for decades in MD.

Asking for a friend,,

I've bought several new and used handguns over the last several years. Never had anyone mention one of those bore locks to me. I don't think I've ever seen one.

see here:
    Reposted from another thread from today on the Capial region Forum

current as of 09 JUNE 2021-- Link to MDSP Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices ...aka locks

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document Downloads/Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices.pdf

and here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=71938&page=89

Based on some old threads, apparently cable locks did not used to be approved, but now they are. I found a thread from 2010 that said no cable locks. There has been no law change only a reinterpretation.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Well I cannot find the list on the Handgun Roster Board website. The link above gives a list updated Sept 8th. you need a device from the list.

That said, FFLs around here appear to be *cough* inconsistently enforcing it. Some ask, some don't. Some make you pay $30 for it.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    So the question is,,
    will MSP supply this new updated list that allows the little cable locks?

Well I cannot find the list on the Handgun Roster Board website. The link above gives a list updated Sept 8th. you need a device from the list.

That said, FFLs around here appear to be *cough* inconsistently enforcing it. Some ask, some don't. Some make you pay $30 for it.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Apparently they used to be, but due to lack of production the Roster Board had had to approve alternates.

the bore lock law seems to date from the late 90s (Clinton Glory hole era).

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    So the question is,,
    will MSP supply this new updated list that allows the little cable locks?

I found the list (see link) just not directly on the HRB website. someone should ask them to formally post a link.

It seems to be accessible indirectly in the downloads directory.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Also, I would add, as with anything in MD, FFLs are *cough* inconsistent. So before you get into an argument with an FFL over cable locks, and before you pick up the gun, amd before you buy anything, call and ask.

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    I had to buy 2 to get my 45lc and one of my .22 revolvers, after that, they stopped forcing me to buy them and someone told me at my usual FFL that they aren't required anymore. Guess it's up to the FFL if they're enforcing it or not.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    And here is the email I received from MSP and the links to the document.

Good Morning,

The list is up-to-date on the MSP website: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/Downloads.aspx It is currently located under Firearms Dealer. The list is also posted on the Licensing Division’s Regulated Firearms Dealers section of the website: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Firearms/FirearmsDealers.aspx. It is currently located under Application Documentation.

So if a LGS is telling you that you need a bore lock,, they are blow smoke up your rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom