• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    How many people are McKee Beshers on opening day of dove season? Also, how plentiful are the birds. I need to come up with some options for dove hunting because getting a limit lately has been difficult.

They plant several fields, the ones closest to the parking areas get crowded. The fields in the back are better. Last year the weather was good and there were plenty of birds. This year there was a storm moving through and still a good amount of birds. They came out every time it stopped raining. I had a new hunter with me so we sat in one of the clearings before the sunflower fields. I've been a couple years with only a few birds though. It just depends on the sunflowers. It seems they have it timed better with opening day now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Squirrels and deer will be the easiest thing for you to hunt without much shooting experience and without much hunting knowledge.

Rabbits generally hide in the brush. Rarely do you see them during the day, but I have a couple fat ones by my house that I see on occasion. Mostly see them when I am mowing the grass and they shoot out of brush or from under a tree when I am mowing close by. I have seen a couple come out of brush while I have been out pheasant hunting and walking around, but not many. Best we have ever done hunting rabbits is with a beagle.

Squirrels and deer I have seen plenty of in the woods, while in a tree stand, while sitting on a seat on the ground, and while in a ground blind.

For geese, you are going to have to find a field that they want to be in, you will need some decoys, you will need to learn to call a little bit, and you will need to learn how to wing shoot. Waterfowl and doves are the two types of hunting I like the most. If you obtain permission to hunt a field that geese are using and you want some help hunting them (e.g., layout blinds, geese, calling, etc.), shoot me a PM. Just a ton of work to kill 1 goose. Have to find places to hunt late season that are in the western zone so you can bring home a truckload of geese and make a year's worth of jerky.

As far as turkeys are concerned, probably the hardest animal to hunt out of what we are allowed to hunt in Maryland. However, you do have some turkeys by you.

Despite whacking ground hogs here (so F-big many this year!) and deer hunting here. Wife won’t let me hunt rabbits. I don’t see them all the time, but plenty around.

But I could sit for 3 days and not see any I’d bet. Semi-rural and rural (and suburban) areas you just have to be patient and you’ll find rabbits.

Never seen a rabbit hunting them on public land. Though only deliberately tried a few times and I don’t have dogs.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Hey I'm new to the area but not a new hunter. I too am going to be trying to hunt Patuxtent River state park here in the near future. I've heard there isn't much rabbits, so will probably just try squirrel and then deer once season is here. I'll shoot you a PM, I wouldn't mind having someone join me.

newhunter

Oct 4, 2021
    Great fun

I've really enjoyed my hunting experiences so far and have hiked 40+ miles of unmarked PRSP trails. I love being out there at dawn and dusk with nature. Today I took my first shot and made my first ever kill, a squirrel. I know that isn't much but it's big for me. I was glad that I hit it, and I was surprised and happy that it died instantly and didn't suffer. I felt obliged to skin, gut and eat it - it was surprisingly okay but I am not used to doing any of that and I am not sure it's worth the effort of doing it too often. As you can see I should have been a little more gentle in preparing it! I learned some good lessons.

I also had a great encounter with a buck. If only it was firearms season. But I enjoyed seeing it all the same.

Some pics attached.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      183.2 KB · Views: 98
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      124.1 KB · Views: 98
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 93

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Man, that’s great! I have killed plenty of squirrels, but always gave them away, I had heard they were gamey as far as taste. Yours looked tasty, after deer season, I might have to try some. How did you season and cook it?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Nice pics!

Squirrels are a lot of work for little meat, kind of like crawdads IMO. But a handful of them can be a nice meal.

newhunter

Oct 4, 2021
    Man, that’s great! I have killed plenty of squirrels, but always gave them away, I had heard they were gamey as far as taste. Yours looked tasty, after deer season, I might have to try some. How did you season and cook it?

I just made a quick rub of chipotle, garlic, salt and pepper, and cooked it on charcoal. Served with tequila! It was more gamey than chicken but less than some rabbit I've had. I don't like gamey tastes and I found this to be okay.

PS do not make the mistake of telling your significant other they've just eaten tree rat.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If you have a deep fryer (sadly I don't) and you hunt squirrels with a couple of friends you can do a heck of a fry if everyone does well. Beer batter or spice rubs.

hamburglar79

Oct 19, 2021
    Odenton
    Totally understand your situation.

All in all keep asking questions to fellow hunters, read up on hunting articles and laws, be confident and proficient with your firearm, and get outdoors and practice as much as possible.

I know thats easier said then done.

Awhile back I spoke with the Maryland R3 Coordinator, Christopher Markin (christopher.markin@maryland.gov), and he can help you figure things out as a new hunter.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I just made a quick rub of chipotle, garlic, salt and pepper, and cooked it on charcoal. Served with tequila! It was more gamey than chicken but less than some rabbit I've had. I don't like gamey tastes and I found this to be okay.

PS do not make the mistake of telling your significant other they've just eaten tree rat.
    Less gamey than rabbit? Whoever is cooking for you needs a lesson or two. That’s the complete opposite of traditional wisdom, squirrel is a notch below rabbit on the taste scale. Squirrel to me tastes similar to rabbit, just a little rubbery or chewy (they’re a really muscular little critter). Rabbit is served as a delicacy in many restaurants around the world, squirrel is not. Both meats are not, in my opinion, worth a stand alone meat like a steak would be. Squirrel or rabbit is best in stew, or casseroles, to me anyway. I like squirrel tacos, and squirrel or bunny Swedish meatballs with gravy. As far as not liking “gamey tastes”, I’d suggest not being a hunter or eating wild game meat. None of it will ever taste like store bought meats, it will always taste “gamey” as you say. Keep in mind that what many folks call “gamey” could just be improperly handled or processed meat, like if you gut shot it or punctured the digestive organs or bladder during the field handling, or didn’t cool the carcass fast enough or long enough. That’s a very important skill to learn as well, perhaps the most important if you plan to feed the meat to people.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Try soaking both rabbits and squirrels in saltwater for a 2-4 hours in the refrigerator in a covered bowel or gallon zip lock bag, then rinse and prepare. It will pull a lot of the gaminess out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've really enjoyed my hunting experiences so far and have hiked 40+ miles of unmarked PRSP trails. I love being out there at dawn and dusk with nature. Today I took my first shot and made my first ever kill, a squirrel. I know that isn't much but it's big for me. I was glad that I hit it, and I was surprised and happy that it died instantly and didn't suffer. I felt obliged to skin, gut and eat it - it was surprisingly okay but I am not used to doing any of that and I am not sure it's worth the effort of doing it too often. As you can see I should have been a little more gentle in preparing it! I learned some good lessons.

I also had a great encounter with a buck. If only it was firearms season. But I enjoyed seeing it all the same.

Some pics attached.

Either you have to be almost unemployed or the grocery store meat aisle needs to be empty before hunting makes sense as anything more than a hobby.

I try not to laugh when my fellow hunters tell me, "I have no idea why my wife has a problem with me hunting. I mean, I'm putting meat on the table!"

I don't even feel like arguing with them about it. Finding a part time job on the weekends would probably put even more meat on the table and the outlay would be a lot less.

Still, a great skill to have when the grocery stores have nothing on the shelves.

Congrats to you on your first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom