• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Hey guys
    Dies anyone have hands on experience loading lightweight 300aac? In particular Hornady 31000 XTP 30 Caliber .309 90 GR Hollow Point subsonic? I have a rem 700 in 300aac and I've been reading that these will expand at subsonic speeds so I'm thinking perfect pest control that I can load fairly cheap with more umph then 22mag. And silly quite.

Anyone messing with these care to share experiences?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Interesting idea. Never thought to go light with a sub but I can see your point for some things.

Wonder if there will be stability issues? Hodgdon's load data only goes to 110gr for the 300BLK.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Let's see. A 90 grain bullet at 1000 fps has a muzzle energy of 200 ft-lbf.

22 Magnum has a muzzle energy 300 ft-lbf (50 grains at 1530 fps).

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Of course a difference is the .22 mag is likely to create a smaller permanent wound cavity, but a large temporary cavity. That 22 mag will either fragment or expand to around .4”. That .309, if it expands well it’ll probably expand to around .5”. Less ricochet risk from the lower velocity bullet and of course much quieter. The .309 may penetrate deeper too as it’ll dump energy slower.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD

Most of my 22 mag ammo is the 30 grain vmax. Those numbers are alot less.
    https://mcarbo.americommerce.com/2016 Files/.22-WMR-Ballistics-Chart.jpg

At a slow speed I'm going to take the bigger projectile, especially one that expands. I just want the most efficient pest control and if I can do some tinkering to make my 300 work better then a 22 or 22 mag then why not?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Checked my stash and I don't have any of the 30 you're looking for.

I can see the gain. Plus, sometimes it is just neat to try things. Benefit of reloading, make what YOU want.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

At a slow speed I'm going to take the bigger projectile, especially one that expands. I just want the most efficient pest control and if I can do some tinkering to make my 300 work better then a 22 or 22 mag then why not?

Then why not build a 9mm AR?

147 grains, subsonic, bigger bullet, designed to expand at those velocities.

And smaller, lighter, and more handy. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

CCI 30 grain is listed at 2200 fps.

ME is 322, so higher than the 40 grain.

If you want expansion, there is the CCI Segmented hollow point. Or the V-Max, loaded with a Hornady V-Max bullet. Or the CCI TNT.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Kind of like seeking an equivalent of .32-20 .

For pest control , isn't an unexpanded .30 flat nose already "bigger" than an expanded .223 ?

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Get a tub of Trail Boss powder and start with 5 grains and work down until you get subsonic speeds. I load a 110 grain cast HP over Trail Boss for a super quiet groundhog round that I use when in close proximity to houses on the farm. It expands really well and drops them in their tracks.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Get a tub of Trail Boss powder and start with 5 grains and work down until you get subsonic speeds. I load a 110 grain cast HP over Trail Boss for a super quiet groundhog round that I use when in close proximity to houses on the farm. It expands really well and drops them in their tracks.

I've got some trailboss for this, you get it. I want the quietest expanding round I can get to shoot 60 yards and in. I have the rifle so why not.

9mm wise I have a stribog a3 already that I have a recipie for 147s that it likes, but it will never be a quiet as my bolt action.

All I want is a max effort of sound suppression but with a projectile that actually functions. I've made some quite 208 grain amax, but they don't have the terminal balistics I'm looking for.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I've got some trailboss for this, you get it. I want the quietest expanding round I can get to shoot 60 yards and in. I have the rifle so why not.

9mm wise I have a stribog a3 already that I have a recipie for 147s that it likes, but it will never be a quiet as my bolt action.

All I want is a max effort of sound suppression but with a projectile that actually functions. I've made some quite 208 grain amax, but they don't have the terminal balistics I'm looking for.

You need to get into bullet casting! I cast a 110 grain, 145 grain and a 200 grain hollow point for subsonic use in my Blackout. I can use anything from pure soft lead to wheel weights to control the rate of expansion and accuracy I'm looking to achieve.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    You need to get into bullet casting! I cast a 110 grain, 145 grain and a 200 grain hollow point for subsonic use in my Blackout. I can use anything from pure soft lead to wheel weights to control the rate of expansion and accuracy I'm looking to achieve.

I plan to start casting in the next year or so, I feel like it will be a completely new hobby, just like reloading and I don't have the time to take on a new hobby yet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    First step, get a suppressor. :D

Handgun bullets (unless you cast) are going to give you a more choices of ones that will expand subsonic. For rifles, look to the varmint bullets.

In the OP, you stated you were looking for more oomph than .22 Mag, but were proposing lower energy rounds.

You did not mention sound levels.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Handgun bullets (unless you cast) are going to give you a more choices of ones that will expand subsonic. For rifles, look to the varmint bullets.

In the OP, you stated you were looking for more oomph than .22 Mag, but were proposing lower energy rounds.

He mentioned it, see bolded portion from quote.
    Hey guys
    Dies anyone have hands on experience loading lightweight 300aac? In particular Hornady 31000 XTP 30 Caliber .309 90 GR Hollow Point subsonic? I have a rem 700 in 300aac and I've been reading that these will expand at subsonic speeds so I'm thinking perfect pest control that I can load fairly cheap with more umph then 22mag. And silly quite.

Anyone messing with these care to share experiences?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Less paper energy than .22WMR , but much bigger holes . Back to small & fast vs big & slow debate of all time .í

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD

First step done, I have three.

Back to light load sub conversation

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Less paper energy than .22WMR , but much bigger holes . Back to small & fast vs big & slow debate of all time .í

A debate that is approaching 100 years old. And still not solved.

Hey guys And silly quite.

Quite. :lol2:

Just kidding. It’s a problem that seeks creative solutions. I have a Savage 10 in .300-221 (wildcat predecessor to 300 BS). It is very easy to stick a low weight, subsonic projectile in the bore, or worse inside the suppressor. Heavy (over 200 gr) projectiles work better.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A lot more than 100 yrs . Manly Man .75 Muskets vs Wimpy .69 Muskets . Followed a generation later with Manly Man .69 Muskets vs Wimpy .58 Muskets , and repeat .

But on topics , a subsonic 110-120 of .308 to .312 will put more smackdown on bigger critters than .22WMR .

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I have a couple of xtp 90 loads. Trail Boss wasn't very consistent for me. I think I settled on N320 or N32C. I'll look at my notes when I get home. Mine were out of a CVA break action rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom