• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Placed it on a set of scaffold just to check weight. I can’t make it to heavy for the skid steer. Now time to finish windows, paint, and shingle.

View attachment 324650
    Thats perfect. I have some scaffold laying around as well and have considered doing this but now I see it works perfect. I like the height too. I hunt a ground blind about 15' inside the woods off a field and have been wanting to put something like this in its place. Only thing I would do different is build the back wall about 8" shorter than the front and let that be my roof slope.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Thats perfect. I have some scaffold laying around as well and have considered doing this but now I see it works perfect. I like the height too. I hunt a ground blind about 15' inside the woods off a field and have been wanting to put something like this in its place. Only thing I would do different is build the back wall about 8" shorter than the front and let that be my roof slope.

It doesn’t really show it in the pictures but the roof has a 4” pitch. I figured a 1/12 is enough for a 4’ span, with architectural shingles. I hope I’m right.;)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I always wanted to build one that you could stand on top of and bow hunt.
    My buddy has an elevated platform thingy with some sidewalls-rails for cover but theirs is a hatch cut into the roof.
    You can climb a ladder and stand/sit on top.
    Its like one of those wooden jungle gym play-set arrangements but made out of boards with some scrap plywood strung around it to certain extent.
    The first time I went to it, I waited until daylight to size it up some before I went on top of it.
    I didn't want to fall out of it and kill myself or something just trying to kill a deer.
    Or ruin a good hunt opportunity.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Make the roof out of one piece of material. I built a stand on top of 16' 4x4's and built a 4'x4'x6' high box on top with windows and a door. During the year it shifted and instead of the roof slopping to the back it was leaning towards the front. It still worked until there was a foot of snow on the roof and as it melted the water dripped into the inside right down my neck.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I always wanted to build one that you could stand on top of and bow hunt.
    My buddy has an elevated platform thingy with some sidewalls-rails for cover but theirs is a hatch cut into the roof.
    You can climb a ladder and stand/sit on top.
    Its like one of those wooden jungle gym play-set arrangements but made out of boards with some scrap plywood strung around it to certain extent.
    The first time I went to it, I waited until daylight to size it up some before I went on top of it.
    I didn't want to fall out of it and kill myself or something just trying to kill a deer.
    Or ruin a good hunt opportunity.

Exactly the reason for the shallow roof pitch. Once on the scaffold I will put board hangers on and end up with a 3’ deck behind blind. I can build a ladder up to the roof and bow hunt off of the top if I decide to. Doubt i will, I have gotten lazy- with the crossbow and guns, I just want easy meat.

Easy meat- that doesn’t sound good, I meant deer meat.:)

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Didn’t get in the woods in time for muzzleloader, but it’s getting close.

C519D291-489D-4D87-984A-6AEFA009FD5B.jpg
    0C3EC5EC-C194-4D0D-9DEB-0DEC26FCA057.jpg
    E671BA2C-8BE5-4BC4-9896-9F15FC106B3B.jpg

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Build looks good! What do you think you have in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say around $700. I did use some materials that I already had laying around. It would be around a $1000 if I had to buy everything new. The materials are more expensive than usual because COVID- I guess,

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    I’d say around $700. I did use some materials that I already had laying around. It would be around a $1000 if I had to buy everything new. The materials are more expensive than usual because COVID- I guess,

Material prices are like everything else now. Lol. I was worried you were buying everything new and having to mortgage it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    After all that work don't forget to anchor it to the ground!
    Here's some liberated line equipment that was used to prevent an unexpected tip over.
    Once it's all pulled taught and fastened, the tendency for the whole structure to wobble or tip is reduced.

Stand anchors.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom