Glenelg
    I have a switchback22 and is full auto rated and can take these calibers:

22LR, 17 WSM, 17 HMR, 22 MAG, 22 WMR, 22 HORNET, 5.7 X 28

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you believe the Silencer test videos, the Dead Air Mask has better sound reduction than the Oculus.

Mask 10/22 rifle 116 at ear 22/45 pistol 118 at ear
    Ocululs 10/22 rifle 120 at ear 22/45 pistol 125 at ear

Looks like both would be hearing safe on the rifle I guess (?)

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Cool, guys! Thank you for the feedback. I'll see if I can swing by Engage gun shop and take a look around. Think I heard it take something like 9months for paper work to get approved? So sounds like it will take a long time to get.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    With subsonic ammo, most if not all decent 22 cans will be hearing safe. Buy once, cry once. Stick with the majors brands DA/SiCo/Rugged/etc.
    I have used numerous 22 cans over the years. As I said before, go with SS baffles. Look at the FRP stats. That is first round pop. What good is a can if the the first round is 20-40 db higher than subsequent rounds? Monocore cans are notorious for a loud FRP.
    The weight diff is not really noticeable to me to go with aluminum (bitch to clean) or TI (expence and can't dip it).
    Go look at silencer forums.com and the silencer forum on arfcom.

Or be done with it and get the Mask. It is an excellent choice. Cant go wrong with that. And yea, expect 9 months to a year for the stamp.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have 2 tactical Solutions Axiom suppressors. they are very easy to clean. have 17-4 stainless baffles . and is full auto rated in up to 5.7x28 .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks like Rugged decided to make an aluminum baffle rimfire can; not sure why
    Rugged Mustang 22
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/10/07/rugged-mustang-suppressor/

Aluminum Oculus, most specs are the same, but weighs 1/2 of the all steel version(2.4/3.3ox mustang short/long vs 4.3/6.9 oculus). A good anodized baffle can clean up fairly well with solvent and brushes, especially the simple cone baffles Rugged uses. Problem is lead is tough to clean off of them, and if you damage the hard and slick anodizing, the aluminum underneath gets fouled quick, and isuch easier to damage. If they did an aluminum tube, steel main stack baffles and Ti extension tube baffles and mount it probably would have been awesome, easier to clean, and about 4oz, much lighter without most of the drawbacks of an all Aluminum can with Ti thread insert.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Does anyone her actually shot an oculus in the short config? I switch mine between a 10/22 and a mkiv and other then one time when I first got it it is always in the long config. It is a nice idea, but in practice it is too much effort to reconfigure it.

Nothing wrong with the oculus, but I think the short config is a gimmick that isnt useful in the real world.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Does anyone her actually shot an oculus in the short config? I switch mine between a 10/22 and a mkiv and other then one time when I first got it it is always in the long config. It is a nice idea, but in practice it is too much effort to reconfigure it.

Nothing wrong with the oculus, but I think the short config is a gimmick that isnt useful in the real world.

I do, for 2 reasons. First is that it is pretty quiet on a rifle, or even longer pistol barrels. It sounds awesome on an 8" Ruger charger with side folding brace, and on rifles it's just a little bigger than a flash hider, but quiets them down with very little bulk. Obviously the full size config is staple gun quiet, but there is also a bit more blowback/port pop. On a handgun the 3" short config is tiny, makes my 4.5" mk4 about the same size as my unsuppressed 7" buckmark, and for small 22s like my Walther P22 it's awkward with a full sized can. Even with the short config, it's still about as loud as a suppressed 9mm, and on a rifle, subs vs supers has a larger difference in sound than the long vs short config. For me at least If I want something quiet, I use my DA mask, but most of the time if I'm just shooting a bunch of stuff suppressed, I use the Oculus in short config. Usually only run the Oculus in long config on SBR/braced pistols where a little bulk, and weight isn't a big deal, but the barrel is short enough that it is a bit louder than I want.

Of course dB numbers are subjective, and probably not accurate the way silencer shop measures them, but they are at least comparable. From their Oculus test:
    long on a rifle - 116dB muzzle , 121 dB ear
    short on a rifle- 122dB muzzle , 122 dB ear
    long on a pistol- 117dB muzzle , 125 dB ear
    short on a pistol-133dB muzzle , 128 dB ear

Of course the host matters too, some stuff like my CP33 has port pop and a really short barrel, so it's probably just barely hearing safe with a short Oculus, but on a 16" bolt action the short config is noticeably quieter at the ear than the long configuration is on some pistols

Thwack22

Aug 8, 2012
    NoVa
    I've seen a few shooters running a Dear Air Mask in competions and was impressed by the low noise level and consistant accuracy (YMMV). As rimfire ammo runs so dirty, I shouldn't have been surprised at how quickly the internals needed cleaning. Using a brush and CLP on each baffle, plus the end caps and the can itself was tedious, and I wanted avoid using/storing /disposing of a home brewed toxic solution. I ended up just spraying the parts with PAM cooking oil and now it just wipes clean.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Anyone mention the Spectre II? Mine is super quiet. I do the dip which works but precipitating the lead acetate into a non soluble form is kind of a pain. You can get phosphoric acid from the brew store but you're still creating hazardous waste in the process.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Anyone mention the Spectre II? Mine is super quiet. I do the dip which works but precipitating the lead acetate into a non soluble form is kind of a pain. You can get phosphoric acid from the brew store but you're still creating hazardous waste in the process.

Yup, both of mine

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've seen a few shooters running a Dear Air Mask in competions and was impressed by the low noise level and consistant accuracy (YMMV). As rimfire ammo runs so dirty, I shouldn't have been surprised at how quickly the internals needed cleaning. Using a brush and CLP on each baffle, plus the end caps and the can itself was tedious, and I wanted avoid using/storing /disposing of a home brewed toxic solution. I ended up just spraying the parts with PAM cooking oil and now it just wipes clean.

I cleaned a can ONCE before I got an ultrasonic cleaner. Use 50/50 simple green/water in a bag with baffles in the tank with water to knock most fouling off leaving a thin coat, or use more expensive CLR to clean them spotless.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I cleaned a can ONCE before I got an ultrasonic cleaner. Use 50/50 simple green/water in a bag with baffles in the tank with water to knock most fouling off leaving a thin coat, or use more expensive CLR to clean them spotless.

Does that take off the lead as well or just the carbon?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have been using the dip and letting it evaporate slowly. The lead remains behind in the jar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom