• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    I live in AA county and looking at the straight wall cartridge regulations realized I could use my Uberti .45. It has the 7” barrel. What I'm curious about is that I've got Hornady cowboy loads @725 Muzzle FPS and Fiochi cowboys @750 Muzzle FPS. Would these rounds meet the proper muzzle velocity when shot out of a lever action? Looking to pick up one that I can carry both out in the woods.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Now, I'm not well-versed in the 45 Long Colt myself, but I am a reader of Chuck Hawks and value his opinion on proper hunting calibers. (I've met the guy too - he's great and will talk straight to you)

Google "Chuck Hawks 45 Long Colt" and you will find a number of articles on the caliber, generally stating they are not suitable for ethical deer hunting due to force delivered on target and lack of expansion of most bullets.
    He does provide an exception for Hornady LeverEvolution ammo at relatively short ranges.

I'm not sure about legality - it very well could be legal, but don't think I'd recommend shooting low power cast cowboy loads at deer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Long story made shorter, neither of the loads you list would meet Maryland handgun requirements for deer of 6 inch barrel minimum, AND a minimum of 700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

From here, things get a bit into the weeds.

Does there exist 45 Colt ammunition capable of reaching that Maryland energy spec? Yes.

But, can your Uberti handle the pressure that such ammo would need to generate?

I'd have to research this extensively, looking ideally for a standard pressure load that, perhaps with a proprietary powder, could meet that spec.

In a Ruger or a Freedom Arms, revolver construction is such that the answer is yes absolutely. Simply buy or make such higher than standard pressure ammo, and you're good to go with the spec. But in a Uberti, or a Colt single action for that matter, and even with a boutique ammo manufacturer like Buffalo Bore, my very best guess is no.

I don't have the time to do the research at present, sorry. Somebody will be along to either confirm or refute my suspicion.

Now out of your lever action, those loads still won't meet spec. But there is ammo available that will. Check Buffalo Bore for options.

Last edited:

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    The minimum muzzle energy legal for deer hunting in MD is 1,200 ft-lbs. I don't think cowboy loads will get you there. You would need to get a 260 grain bullet moving around 1,450 fps to meet the minimum energy requirements.

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    There was a misunderstanding on my part with the box listing FPS and missing that the regulation is for ft lbs. I haven't been able to find how to convert or calculate that, but I did find a general .45LC ballistics chart. Seems that if I want to use the .45, I'll need to get up to around 1500 FPS. Also iirc, Cowboy Rounds are meant to be lower power since they're for competition, but unfortunately whenever I can find 45LC in the area, that's all they have.

Now, I'm not well-versed in the 45 Long Colt myself, but I am a reader of Chuck Hawks and value his opinion on proper hunting calibers. (I've met the guy too - he's great and will talk straight to you)

Google "Chuck Hawks 45 Long Colt" and you will find a number of articles on the caliber, generally stating they are not suitable for ethical deer hunting due to force delivered on target and lack of expansion of most bullets.
    He does provide an exception for Hornady LeverEvolution ammo at relatively short ranges.

I'm not sure about legality - it very well could be legal, but don't think I'd recommend shooting low power cast cowboy loads at deer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Define short range though. Being in AA County and primarily a shotgun hunter, most of the shots out of my stand or blind are 30 yards or closer (usually within 15 yards). On the ethics side of it, I'm comfortable with my accuracy and shot placement that given I had a round that was within regulation, I wouldn't have a problem using it. On that note, we're talking about a deer standing 15-20 yards, not trying to make fast throw shots on a full speed runner.

Long story made shorter, neither of the loads you list would meet Maryland handgun requirements for deer of 6 inch barrel minimum, AND a minimum of 700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

From here, things get a bit into the weeds.

Does there exist 45 Colt ammunition capable of reaching that Maryland energy spec? Yes.

But, can your Uberti handle the pressure that such ammo would need to generate?

I'd have to research this extensively, looking ideally for a standard pressure load that, perhaps with a proprietary powder, could meet that spec.

In a Ruger or a Freedom Arms, revolver construction is such that the answer is yes absolutely. Simply buy or make such higher than standard pressure ammo, and you're good to go with the spec. But in a Uberti, or a Colt single action for that matter, and even with a boutique ammo manufacturer like Buffalo Bore, my very best guess is no.

I don't have the time to do the research at present, sorry. Somebody will be along to either confirm or refute my suspicion.

Doing quick searches, it seems that the Uberti is rated for running the SAMI @20k PSI but not +P which runs at 23000, and there is some standard Ammo but it'll be something I have to order online which I was hoping to avoid.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think LC can be effective on deer, but not a Cowboy load from a short barrelled revolver with fixed sights.

45LC in a Ruger or rifle loaded with "Ruger only" level loads which puts you in 44mag lane is a different story.

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    I assumed he was asking about rifle since he said "Would these rounds meet the proper muzzle velocity when shot out of a lever action?"

If they'd meet proper muzzle velocity when shot out of either. I was looking to get a lever action to match for when I go out, I'd carry both, but it's looking like it's a no go for SAA's.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    There was a misunderstanding on my part with the box listing FPS and missing that the regulation is for ft lbs. I haven't been able to find how to convert or calculate that

Heres the formula for calculating energy in foot pounds:

Energy = W x (V)^2 / 450395

This translates to energy is equal to weight of the bullet (in grains) multiplied by the velocity squared, then divided by the fixed constant (450395)

For example: https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/45-colt-255-gr-cowboy#!/

A 255 grain Hornady 45LC at 725 fps is (255 * 725^2)/450395 = 297.6 ft lbs. which agrees with Hornady.

for a 255 gr bullet at 1460, you are at 1207 ft lbs.

You probably need a long (>16") barrel and a +P hunting load to get there.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Corbon has some +P 45 colt loads that claim >700 ft lbs from a 7.5" barrel. One is 820 ft lbs with a 355 gr bullet.

They also have a 300 gr jsp that claims 1300 fps and 1126 ft lbs from a 7.5" barrel. :whoa: It will kill the deer, and your wrists.

idk if the Uberti could handle that tho.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    These are the things I find to be like why. How many men died to a 45 colt or scholfield in the last half of the 1800’s? How many men died in the 1860’s to a 44 caliber pistol round? All shooting soft lead.

I understand the law is the law, but how could a 45 colt pistol or a 1858 or 1861 pistol be considered not lethal enough? That’s a big hole with a soft lead projectile

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Basic background -

"Cowboy loads " , just under 300 ftlb .
    " Normal Standard " load of 255 @ 875 is about 430 fllb from pistol .

Would a 250/255 gr lead bullet with broadside double lung hit be fatal to Bambi ? Absolutely . Are your current loads on hand Maryland legal ? No .

Va and WV require 350 ft lb from pistol , rifle is by caliber ( bore size ) , not ft lb there , and would be legal even with your wimpy loads .

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I remembered some of the old West Virginia guys from the hills looking shocked when the DNR told them you couldn’t kill deer with a 32 caliber muzzle loader. But they killed squirrels, coons and deer all with the same rifle

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    These are the things I find to be like why. How many men died to a 45 colt or scholfield in the last half of the 1800’s? How many men died in the 1860’s to a 44 caliber pistol round? All shooting soft lead.

I understand the law is the law, but how could a 45 colt pistol or a 1858 or 1861 pistol be considered not lethal enough? That’s a big hole with a soft lead projectile

No doubt DNR went by the same study that asserted that the "Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto" should be banned.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Right and just reading the 45 ACP having 355 ft pounds with a 230 grain bullet. How many Germans and Japanese got one of those. Sure wouldn’t what to defend myself with that wimpy round <Sarcasm>

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland DNR regs are what they are , and not necessarily a reflection on what can be effective .

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    The 45 Colt will cleanly kill deer at any range your rifle or handgun can accurately hit. It has done so since 1873, and yes even with the 'weak" cowboy loads.

Cowboy loads shoot right through deer at 35-40 yards with from a Blackhawk. I’ve done it. Dead deer, no issues.

However, your handgun cannot handle the loads that will get you to MD's minimum energy level. And unless your lever is a Marlin, it won't either. But the 45 Colt is, was, and always will be extremely effective on deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom