• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n00dles

Hardcore Conservative
    Dec 18, 2008
    Right Behind You!!!
    Hey all,
    I've been searching the forums & can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm about to purchase my first AR (Stag Model 8) and was told that I can only get the 'Maryland Model 8'. I assumed this meant I would get a 20 round magazine instead of a 30 round.

But then I was told that it would be a Post-ban AR with a 'Pinned Stock', not an adjustable or fixed stock. Does anybody know what this means?

Also are there any other things I should know about?

Thanks for the help.

Go Caps!!!

Sep 16, 2009
    Adjustable stocks are fine in Maryland. I think I would find a more knowledgeable dealer. Go to the Gun Rack in Burtonsville or Gun Connection in White Marsh for an AR. If your present dealer is hassling you over the stock, the whole deal will be a problem I would bet.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Adjustable stocks are fine in Maryland. I think I would find a more knowledgeable dealer. Go to the Gun Rack in Burtonsville or Gun Connection in White Marsh for an AR. If your present dealer is hassling you over the stock, the whole deal will be a problem I would bet.

:thumbsup:

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Maybe some dealer or distributor has a bunch of pinned stocks lying around and they are trying to dupe people into buying them???

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    You cannot take possession of a magazine that has a capacity over 20 in MD, even with the purchase of a new rifle. If the rifle ships to your FFL with a 30-rounder in it, they'll likely give it to you with no mag at all or if they are really nice, they'll throw in a 20-rounder for you.

I'm not aware of any regulation on stocks in MD. Folding, adjustable, underfolder, one that looks like your mother ... doesn't matter in MD.... well, as long as it's there ... I think that a lack of a stock would put you into some weird pistol laws, but as long as there's a stock, MD doesn't care.

Congrats on your first AR, Stag's a good company, just don't get shafted by your FFL. What town are you in, we'll be glad to recommend dealers in your area who will be glad to feed your Evil Black Rifle disease!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Agreed with everyone else, your dealer sounds like they may be misinformed. They're correct about the mags but the stock is a whole different issue.

n00dles

Hardcore Conservative
    Dec 18, 2008
    Right Behind You!!!
    Congrats on your first AR, Stag's a good company, just don't get shafted by your FFL. What town are you in, we'll be glad to recommend dealers in your area who will be glad to feed your Evil Black Rifle disease!

A client of mine has his FFL. He was going to get it for me for around $950, but it's been out of stock & I have to constantly keep on top of him to get it ordered. He did hook me up with a nice deal on a Millett DMS-1 though.

I live in Boonsboro but work in Frederick. I would be glad to take my business elsewhere if I could get the Stag Model 8 for less than $1K.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    It looks like gunbroker.com has a bunch in the $900-$1100 range so that's probably pretty doable. I don't know much about that part of the state, but I'm sure someone nearby will be along and see this thread soon enough and provide their insight.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    A client of mine has his FFL. He was going to get it for me for around $950, but it's been out of stock & I have to constantly keep on top of him to get it ordered. He did hook me up with a nice deal on a Millett DMS-1 though.

I live in Boonsboro but work in Frederick. I would be glad to take my business elsewhere if I could get the Stag Model 8 for less than $1K.

If (ETA -Since) you have access to an FFL who can do transfers for you, I would check out this thread before spending close to $1000 for a Stag AR:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14008

If you have the time, I would shop around for deals that can be routed through your FFL. The AR15.com website's Equipment Exchange forum has many reputable dealers posting sale ads for higher-tier AR-15s. Good luck!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you can find someone to handle the transfer for you, I'd suggest talking to Marlin at P.D.I, screenname Carryaglock. He's not far from you and is top notch to deal with. He is in WV, hence the need for the transfer.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If you have access to an FFL who can do transfers for you, I would check out this thread before spending close to $1000 for a Stag AR:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14008

If you have the time, I would shop around for deals that can be routed through your FFL. The AR15.com website's Equipment Exchange forum has many reputable dealers posting sale ads for higher-tier AR-15s. Good luck!

That "chart" is an arfcom joke. You're doing a disservice pointing anyone to it looking for real information. It's nothing more than one self-appointed expert's opinion, in chart form.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    That "chart" is an arfcom joke. You're doing a disservice pointing anyone to it looking for real information. It's nothing more than one self-appointed expert's opinion, in chart form.

OK, right, whatever . . . that issue was hashed out in that other thread (where you said the same thing) and across the internet.

If YOU don't think it has value, well thanks for expressing your thoughts. We'll let the OP make up his own mind.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Stag themselves are wrong. They had on their old web site some incorrect info about MD and the laws. Silly stuff like we needed a pinned stock, etc. I never bothered to contact them since I was just looking and wasn't buying their stuff.

Since Gun Connection and Continental are among "dealers" per Stag's web site, maybe those shops should correct the maker. Of course, since Stag is wrong about MD gun laws, maybe neither shop is a dealer either.....

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    if you can make it, come out to the Frederick shot tomorrow. lots of ar-15 rifles and nice peeps to talk to.:D

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I guess I'm behind the times or something, but since when does Stag with post ban features actually command a grand?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If you can find someone to handle the transfer for you, I'd suggest talking to Marlin at P.D.I, screenname Carryaglock. He's not far from you and is top notch to deal with. He is in WV, hence the need for the transfer.

Do this and don't look back. PDI will educate you on the purchase AND get it to you for far lower than you thought possible.

n00dles

Hardcore Conservative
    Dec 18, 2008
    Right Behind You!!!
    I guess I'm behind the times or something, but since when does Stag with post ban features actually command a grand?

The Stag I'm looking at is a gas piston model as opposed to direct gas which I have found to generally be more expensive.

Do this and don't look back. PDI will educate you on the purchase AND get it to you for far lower than you thought possible.

I have sent him an email & he is looking up prices for me.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I wouldn't pay a premium for a new gas piston design over direct impingement. One is proven to be reliable and one hasn't proven a thing. Most of these new gas piston rifles seem to cause way more problems then they fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom