• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    The first few days of Trophy Rockfish have been tough. I postponed 3 trips out a week or so due to poor fishing. Don’t feel right carrying people out when expectations are low. We did manage to land one yesterday, 43”. Hopefully the water warms up soon and gets these fish going!
    View attachment 231670

View attachment 231671

We got one today. Hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    The first few days of Trophy Rockfish have been tough. I postponed 3 trips out a week or so due to poor fishing. Don’t feel right carrying people out when expectations are low. We did manage to land one yesterday, 43”. Hopefully the water warms up soon and gets these fish going!
    View attachment 231670

View attachment 231671

Nice! You did better than most, from what I’ve heard. Are you in the upper bay? Good on you for postponing some trips.

With the warming water hopefully we will all get plenty in the coming 2 weeks.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    42" in the box yesterday morning. It has been painfully slow, but it seems like it's picking up.
    SYGdyCJ.jpg

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    My nephew caught this guppy.

Attachments

• 31124545_321869968341110_2277063004593848320_n.jpg
      31124545_321869968341110_2277063004593848320_n.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 385
    Recommendations for some fishing in Montgomery or Howard counties? I'm not a fisherman but my girlfriend used to go when she was little. I got her a rod last year but we have yet to use it, and want to change that.

Also question, if I am attending but not taking a rod, do I still need a license?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Recommendations for some fishing in Montgomery or Howard counties? I'm not a fisherman but my girlfriend used to go when she was little. I got her a rod last year but we have yet to use it, and want to change that.

Also question, if I am attending but not taking a rod, do I still need a license?

No

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick

For easy low-key fishing in MoCo, maybe try the community pond in Clarksburg - just east of 355 on 121. Just park in the lot, walk about 50 yards and start fishing. The bank is even mowed for you. Maybe not the best fishing, but for a beginner or kid it's easy and there are definitely fish in there. I've caught many, many bluegill and bass.

Also, look along the C&O canal - lots of spots to fish all along the Potomac, and the canal itself has fish in many locks. Plus every visit is like a little history lesson.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Another great day with Capt. Chris (member here ChrisD) on the Teaser. First 2 fish within an hour of going out, both on at the same time, and 3rd fish about 30 minutes later.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
      fish.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 379
    For easy low-key fishing in MoCo, maybe try the community pond in Clarksburg - just east of 355 on 121. Just park in the lot, walk about 50 yards and start fishing. The bank is even mowed for you. Maybe not the best fishing, but for a beginner or kid it's easy and there are definitely fish in there. I've caught many, many bluegill and bass.

Also, look along the C&O canal - lots of spots to fish all along the Potomac, and the canal itself has fish in many locks. Plus every visit is like a little history lesson.

thanks! I'll check it out

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD

You mean the kings park? That’s the only thing I can think of.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    This is me and my buddies keepers for a days fishing on the South Branch at Smoke Hole. I caught a total of 45 trout that day and had over 30 that slipped the hook before I could net them.

Attachments

• Trout.jpg
      Trout.jpg
      80 KB · Views: 320

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    Hey Chris, how a bout leaving a few for your little Bro and me...LOL. Nice to see the fish are moving through now, I'm hoping to see a few stragglers:D.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    We (my son) only caught one today but it was a biggun.

Attachments

• 20180506_174026.jpg
      20180506_174026.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 244

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD

Do you have a boat, canoe or kayak, etc?

There's Rocky Gorge reservoir that has bass, stripers, and more. I've seen folk bank fishing too but being out on the water brings a lot more options into play.

On the north side of Columbia there's Centennial Lake. Plenty of bass in there as well.

Both sites have public boat launches.

As someone else pointed out,you don't need a license if you don't bring a rod, also assuming you don't "try out"your girlfriend's rod. Fishing is fishiing whether it's your rod or not.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Do you have a boat, canoe or kayak, etc?

There's Rocky Gorge reservoir that has bass, stripers, and more. I've seen folk bank fishing too but being out on the water brings a lot more options into play.

On the north side of Columbia there's Centennial Lake. Plenty of bass in there as well.

Both sites have public boat launches.

As someone else pointed out,you don't need a license if you don't bring a rod, also assuming you don't "try out"your girlfriend's rod. Fishing is fishiing whether it's your rod or not.

In addition to a fishing license, you'll need a stamp (I believe) to fish Rocky Gorge reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom