• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I haven't seen it posted in a consolidated thread anywhere but what are folks finding for transfer costs now that the state has the new electronic system. Seems like handgun transfers should come down by at least the $10 fee for that system.

Also, I'm trying to find which shops will pin "high capacity" magazines on a transfer.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I haven't seen it posted in a consolidated thread anywhere but what are folks finding for transfer costs now that the state has the new electronic system. Seems like handgun transfers should come down by at least the $10 fee for that system.

Also, I'm trying to find which shops will pin "high capacity" magazines on a transfer.

The state doesn't charge the $10 anymore?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Never understood why transfers are so expensive. I get that it's work, but I have to think that cheap transfers get customers in the door and buying other stuff, but maybe that's not the case...I'm sure they know their own business.

My "local" FFL is also a gunsmith and does $5 transfers. I probably would not have given him my smith work if he hadn't offered the cheap transfers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Never understood why transfers are so expensive. I get that it's work, but I have to think that cheap transfers get customers in the door and buying other stuff, but maybe that's not the case...I'm sure they know their own business.

My "local" FFL is also a gunsmith and does $5 transfers. I probably would not have given him my smith work if he hadn't offered the cheap transfers.

Probably a mix of both. They probably get enough people who only use them for transfers. It would be interesting if a shop did something like $10 transfers if you purchase $100 of merchandise at the same time or something.

Alternate do something like $30 for the first transfer and $10 for each additional or whatever.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex

I think it's partially to try and make it less of a good deal to buy online so you just buy from the store. Oh that $39 stripped Anderson upper online, that'll be $64 now, but here is ours, only $99....

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Can you use a pre-paid credit card for the MSP fee? With the track record of the MSP when they farmed out the paperwork prior to FSA 2103, not sure if I want to put my CC into their system.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Damn son. Here I thought my $20 transfers were good.

Considering sales tax is 8.25% here, it's pretty easy to save money buying online with free shipping when you know the only thing added on top is gonna be $20.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    I don't know about what kind of $$$ you guys make BUT any transfer cost over $25.00 is way TOOOOO much. It takes 10 Min or Less X 6 per Hr $150.00 for a Hours worth of work is pretty decent .

Jim

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    MD transfers are a lot of work. Not to mention time spent doing ppw when you could be selling your own products. And then the inevitable clusterf*** situations that will pop up with some transfers that take forever to get resolved. If I were a dealer I would charging a good amount for those headaches.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I saw that post. Frankly those prices suck compared to others around.

Business' don't operate as charities. It costs money to receive your firearm at an FFL, it costs money for the FFL to verify that the firearm is transferable, it costs money to transfer the firearm to you when you come in to pick it up.

Most if not all gun stores, who are FFL's, will waive the transfer fees, if you purchase the firearm through them. The transfer fees are built into the price of the firearm.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Now that I think of it, how many of these threads pop up over the course of the year? Seems almost on par with "what is an hbar?" and "how do I get an hql?" :D

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I don't know about what kind of $$$ you guys make BUT any transfer cost over $25.00 is way TOOOOO much. It takes 10 Min or Less X 6 per Hr $150.00 for a Hours worth of work is pretty decent .

Jim

The building costs money, heat costs money, A/C costs money, lawyers cost money, benefits cost money, equipment costs money.

The fully burdened cost of an employ is far and above what that employee is payed per hour.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/calculate-fully-burdened-labor-costs-33072.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom