• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    The Grey Man is always invisible in plain sight.

The Grey Man is totally aware of his environs, his own capabilities or lack thereof, his weaponry and his levels of competence with that weaponry. He constantly strives to improve upon both his capabilities and competence. In public, he is always respectful, even to the point of obsequiousness if the situation calls for it. He always appears to be just a little confused by what is happening around him, while in reality he is alertly doing a tactical assessment.

The Grey Man NEVER draws attention to himself by word, dress, action, or mannerism. The Young Grey Man is dismissed as a wimp, the Older as a doddering old fool. The Grey Man derives great inner satisfaction from having this portrayal of himself accepted by all he meets, for it means he is succeeding in his disguise of his actual persona.

The Grey Man is a private man. He practices with his weaponry in private, or only with his fellow Grey Men, always in a secluded location. If he must resort to use of a public facility, he schedules his practice for times when he is likely to be the only one there. At such times he would probably wear bright clothing, to be remembered only as ‘that guy in the red jacket and sunglasses’, a quite different person from his usual persona. If right-handed, he would always occupy the leftmost station on a NRA bullseye pistol range, with his back to an observer, or the rightmost one for riflery or combat pistol practice. He would not have his name emblazoned on clothing or equipment, nor would he have any noteworthy affiliation proclaimed on his cap. “He’s just a guy. Comes every Wednesday morning for his coffeebreak. Always pays cash.”

The Grey Man does not drive a pink Cadillac with steer horns on the hood, NOR does he drive the biggest mutherin’ 4X4-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles BOV in the lot. The older his vehicle is, the rustier, the less likely it is to draw attention (or to be stolen, for that matter). This vehicle is, under its exterior, scrupulously maintained and in excellent running order. If pulled over by authority on the basis of appearance, it can be shown to meet or exceed all requirements under licensing laws, and an obsequious co-operative manner precludes a search under the seats. The Grey Man does not speed on the highway: cruise control is his friend. So is the Highway Patrol: he waves to any he sees. If he travels the same route constantly, at the same times, The Grey Man becomes a ‘fixture’ and can be dismissed from conscious observation.

It helps the Survivor to build up this persona of The Grey Man gradually and over time. The anti-gun sheeple neighbors will quickly rat out the ‘Patriot’ who is always loudly declaiming about his ‘Rights’ and ‘what will happen if they try to take my guns’. The Grey Man goes far out of his way never to offend anyone, imitating the duck which appears calm on the surface of his pond whilst paddling like hell under the surface.

Be seen as conservative in all you do. A Survivor is a Grey Man, and that little old grey man alone over there in the corner is probably a Survivor!

And that young guy next to him? Just another wimp? Or are they both watching each other’s backs?

Making the other guy waste precious time in assessing the situation is a big part of staying alive. Practice being grey now, while there's time to build your skills.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    It helps the Survivor to build up this persona of The Grey Man gradually and over time. The anti-gun sheeple neighbors will quickly rat out the ‘Patriot’ who is always loudly declaiming about his ‘Rights’ and ‘what will happen if they try to take my guns’.

I have a hard time praising this Grey Man. He sounds like a FUDD... not concerned with any loss of rights as long as he flies under the radar.

He will stand alone when the time comes to make "his" stand.

-Boxcab

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I think tan or beige with subtle earth tones would be better. J/K

Grey is no way to live life. The Nazis and other evil regimes came to power because men chose to become grey rather than fight the wrongs and injustices being carried out against their neighbors.

Sooner or Later, everyone has to make a Stand. I'd rather Stand today with my friends and neighbors than Stand alone tomorrow.

Survival is not just about living but how you live too.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Does the Grey Man Open Carry? :)

Depends, does the state in which the Grey Man lives recognize his right to conceal carry? If so, concealed means concealed. Otherwise, if the Grey Man is forced to choose between OC and being defenseless, he'd probably go with OC. Then again, I don't know the Grey Man, and maybe he would prefer to be defenseless in the name of not offending the hoplophobes.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    This is how I view certain Grey philosophies and the desire to be inconspicous

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

Martin Niemoller

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    You guys have completely missed the point. And taken this to extreme pretty quick. Usually a nazi reference does not show up until post 100 or so.

Being a Greyman is not about having a "grey" attitude", it is about blending in on a day to day basis, not for being the "don't give a puck" about anything jerk off.

The entire Greyman attitude came about due to the number of people in "high-risk" jobs traveling around the world and just wish to blend in. Most do not want to be another of the incredible number of people in foreign countries walking around in 5.11 clothing and a Pack covered in MOLLE straps.

This attitude is based on not standing out if you do not need to.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    You guys have completely missed the point. And taken this to extreme pretty quick. Usually a nazi reference does not show up until post 100 or so.

Being a Greyman is not about having a "grey" attitude", it is about blending in on a day to day basis, not for being the "don't give a puck" about anything jerk off.

The entire Greyman attitude came about due to the number of people in "high-risk" jobs traveling around the world and just wish to blend in. Most do not want to be another of the incredible number of people in foreign countries walking around in 5.11 clothing and a Pack covered in MOLLE straps.

This attitude is based on not standing out if you do not need to.

I got your point but was making a joke about the OC thread next door to this one.

I get the Grey man ethos. Fit in. Blend.

Drawing attention to yourself can be asking for trouble. I grew up in a rough hood...we understood "grey" automatically. It does not mean walking from a fight that needs fighting. It means staying out of the crosshairs so that you can decide when to fight.

Partly off topic, but I have four pairs of 5.11 "Tacticool" pants. I bought them because they are awesome to wear when working in the woods, garage, house, yard, etc. All those pockets and straps make great places to hang tools (a multimeter fits in that back right "gun" pocket perfectly when I an figuring out where the hell I cut a speaker wire in the basement).

I would never wear them in public in a way that cold be seen as anything more than work pants ala Dickies. Usually they are covered with lawn snot, dirt or oil. And I don't ever see people in defense wearing them. It's pretty much a uniform for the contract security people, but that's about it.

5.11 will soon have to switch back to their technical rock-climbing roots. The "tacticool" thing is going to wear out fast because they are kinda becoming a joke unto themselves.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    This is how I view certain Grey philosophies and the desire to be inconspicous

Thought provoking thread - very interesting

I'm not sure that it's grey man or stand up for your rights. I don't think it's one or the other. I tend to lean towards the inconspicuous / gray man lifestyle rather than draw attention to myself. I don't talk loosely about guns and SHTF stuff in public places. I don't drive around with bumper stickers proclaiming "F*ck Authority", "Right Wing Extremist" or even "I'm the NRA".

I don't feel the need to advertise my opinions to everyone all the time and I don't want random people (some of whom may have "issues") knowing my business.

I don't dress or act like a "bad ass" or get involved with douche bags who want to brawl because they've had too much to drink and too much testosterone. I'm more likely to run away from a conflict if I have the option.

But that doesn't mean I don't write my representatives to voice my concerns or discuss my opinions with my fellow shooters, I just prefer to do it discreetly.

Jack London wrote the words that I try to live my life by every single day...

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I will use my time."

I'm with Huckleberry and Boxcab. The Grey man sounds like a Fudd. A guy content - no - striving - to keep his head down so he escapes scruitny. So when the hammer comes down, he'll be able to ....... well, I don't really know what he'll do. He sounds like a *****.

On the other hand, if there are enough people who are living "in color" (not Grey) then maybe it might just give the hands who want to swing that hammer pause. Enough people who are open, clear and unambiguous in their simple message of promissing to not go gently.

THOSE are the people who might keep this whole mess from happening. Not invisible men who scurry around trying to be invisible, and creating an illusion in the heads of the hammer wielders that they will not face resistance or mortal consequence.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm the average suburban dad....boat shoes and loud shorts. My SUV has that little stick people family on the back window. I tell bad jokes and take my daughter to the mall.

I, too, have your back. :thumbsup:

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    i have a brown 4x4 on unnecessarily large tires. and i have some stickers. tho i don't sit on my porch cleaning my guns, i have been known to occationaly shoot my 22 off my porch, but that is pretty much standard in my hood. i think i'll be the brown man.... if that's not too ghey

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    i have a brown 4x4 on unnecessarily large tires. and i have some stickers. tho i don't sit on my porch cleaning my guns, i have been known to occationaly shoot my 22 off my porch, but that is pretty much standard in my hood. i think i'll be the brown man.... if that's not too ghey

That's cool.....we all thought you were that way anyway :D j/k!!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The Young Grey Man is dismissed as a wimp, the Older as a doddering old fool.

I've been told this about me a few times. That because I don't walk half cocked trying to fight guys, girls will be afraid to go out with me.

My answer was that yes I don't like to fight, but if someone I care about is threatened, they will awaken a part of me that the person threatening me will not enjoy meeting.

The challenge for the gray man is to be involved in politics, while maintaining his "camouflage."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom