• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    H&R 700 Semi-Auto these rifles are built like a TANK and use the same basic piston system as the H&K 700 as well as magazines

Very accurate and built like a Centerfire

Jim

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    This is how well my Savage 93 GL and CZ 512 shoot with different ammo at 100 yards off of sandbags.

I did have a Remington 597 in 22 WMR and had nothing but trouble with it so I sold it.

Attachments

• Savage 93GL vs CZ 512.jpg
      Savage 93GL vs CZ 512.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 220

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This is how well my Savage 93 GL and CZ 512 shoot with different ammo at 100 yards off of sandbags.

Nice shooting.

I swear this thread is giving me the hankering for a Henry pump in 22 WRM or a Winchester 9422M if I save a bit more coin for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not trying hijack but one other comes to mind as very accurate but I can't remember what it was,hoping the MDS brain trust can help.

Lever action but fed from the top (single shot),similar to a rolling block for lack of better description.A friend had one back in the day (.22 Win. Mag) that was deadly accurate.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Not trying hijack but one other comes to mind as very accurate but I can't remember what it was,hoping the MDS brain trust can help.

Lever action but fed from the top (single shot),similar to a rolling block for lack of better description.A friend had one back in the day (.22 Win. Mag) that was deadly accurate.

Ithaca 49?

http://gunsmagazine.com/greatest-little-gun/

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Your description made me think of the Martini Action "Fed from the top single shot."
    https://www.google.com/search?q=martini+action&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Savage 65M. Bonus is it uses the same mags as the current Savage .22WMR bolt guns. Considered very accurate in its day. I had one that was given to me in the 80's. Great for knocking off pests. If I could find another I would pick it up in a heartbeat. Nice thing is it was never sold with a synthetic stock as far as I know.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a Ruger 77/17 with SS bull barrel and laminated stock. Great accuracy, fit and finish. I'd look for one of those.

My 9417 is a beautiful rifle. Tube fed gets old after a while.

I had a 597. One day while shooting with my son, it misfed and the round went off. It blew the magazine down with enough force to bruise my palm and blew the lever off the bolt. I'm really glad it was me shooting and not my 6 year old son. He had shot the previous magazine.

I realize the OP is about a 22 wmr. The .17 hmr is a necked down .22wmr. Very similar rifles/actions.
    Pretty much all the makers including Remington recalled all those .17 HMR rifles because they were built on the specs and when the ammo came out it was hotter than originally thought apparently and was not recommended to be used in a semi-auto. People can get them to run but you have to clean them about every 100 rds. or sooner. Remington will still take those back and convert them to .22WMR for free. The 597 requires a much heavier charging handle to give it the weight to slow down the action down to where it works better.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Marlin 57- M in 22 WMR

Yes, I think that it was a Model 57M, made from 1960 to 1969. He had had it marked for sale at $395, a little high, but he will entertain offers on his guns,
    I bought a Winchester 255 in 22mag at one of the Frederick shows this year for around $50 less than he had it priced.

Hell Yes:thumbsup:

I bought one in 1971; used but excellant. Tube feed, short action lever-matic for $65.00. Very accurate & totally reliablible. Tad heavy but I used it for Fox, Turkey in W/Md during Fall season. Groundhogs ete.

Sold it in 1980 to buy Xmas presents for the kids. I truely don't know what they price for now but I do know they are scarce.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :sad20:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    22wmr is highly underrated. Glad to read this healthy discussion and admiration for these rifles.

I recall as a kid, I'd go out and shoot 22LR all the time. Then one day, a relative loaned me their 22wmr and a box of shells. I remember feeling like it was a 'real' rifle.

What caliber is the next baby step up from 22wmr?

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I picked up a used Marlin 882SS for about $170 puts all the rounds in one hole at 25yrds. It was supposed to be for my Grandson but his mama won't let me give it to him so I shoot it once in awhile till he grows up.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    22wmr is highly underrated. Glad to read this healthy discussion and admiration for these rifles.

I recall as a kid, I'd go out and shoot 22LR all the time. Then one day, a relative loaned me their 22wmr and a box of shells. I remember feeling like it was a 'real' rifle.

What caliber is the next baby step up from 22wmr?

Well, more than a baby step I'd suggest. But I'd say the next step up would be 22 Hornet centerfire. CZ chambers their Model 527 for this cartridge. Ruger chambered it also in their discontinued 7722 series. There may be others. For reasons mostly along the line of "just because", I've been toying with the idea of buying a 527 in 22 Hornet for awhile now. One might argue 17wsm rimfire also.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Well, more than a baby step I'd suggest. But I'd say the next step up would be 22 Hornet centerfire. CZ chambers their Model 527 for this cartridge. Ruger chambered it also in their discontinued 7722 series. There may be others. For reasons mostly along the line of "just because", I've been toying with the idea of buying a 527 in 22 Hornet for awhile now. One might argue 17wsm rimfire also.

Thx!

Looks like the FN5.7 might be that next step up from wmr and before the hornet? Then the hornet, then .222 then .223 then, .243?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Hornet

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Thx!

Looks like the FN5.7 might be that next step up from wmr and before the hornet? Then the hornet, then .222 then .223 then, .243?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Hornet

That cartridge didn't cross my mind. But yes, that makes sense for 5.7.

Now after .223, there's a ton of hotter .22 cartridges to list before you get to the .243 and 6mm's. Of the more mainstream ones, .22-250 is probably the most recognized by name and typically encountered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom