How Do We Legally Store Our Rifles Out Of State If Banned In Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    Not sure whether to put this in the water cooler or here, but since it deals more with legal issues I will post it here. My question is if legislation gets passed that outlaws AR-15's OR makes keeping them in-state unrealistic (high renewal/registration fees), then what is the best/cheapest legal way to move them out of state but retain possession of them?
    I could always sell them for $1 to an out of state friend and pay the FFL transfer fees. However if I want to keep them in my name, how do I go about moving them to another state?

Immigrate to the United States.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    In your hands/ in your safe. The state can pound sand. They're not getting mine, I can tell you that. Rather than expend energy trying to find where you can run away to, bring the fight to annapolis and keep them from being banned in the first place.
    http://marylandshallissue.org/joindonate-now/

I just bought a house so I'm not retreating anywhere. However, I have learned that having a backup plan is always preferable to tripping over one's dick in a panic.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    Pretty sure they will use your state/location of driver's license as your residence ... that pretty much stops anyone from having 2 or 3 state "residence". It works that way already for purchases ... that's why we can't reside both in PA and MD and purchase guns under both state's laws.

Actually, according to federal law, you can have multiple residences and purchase while residing in another state.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

(B12) May a person (who is not an
    alien) who resides in one State and
    owns property in another State
    purchase a handgun in either
    State?

If a person maintains a home in 2
    States and resides in both States for
    certain periods of the year, he or she
    may, during the period of time the
    person actually resides in a particular
    State, purchase a handgun in that
    State. However, simply owning property
    in another State does not qualify
    the person to purchase a handgun in
    that State.
    [27 CFR 478.11]

The problem would be finding a form of ID acceptable to the ffl in the other state since most states won't issue a state id to a person with a DL in another state.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    The simplest way is to establish residence in 2 states and simply transfer them to myself in another state. Does anyone have experience doing that? Would I even need an FFL to do that?

I understand that we have generally laughed at people getting too paranoid and coming up with crazy what ifs. However with what just passed in New York, I am putting absolutely nothing past O'Malley.

You would be right to not trust that clown. He is trying to out liberal everyone else to run for the presidency in 2016. That is if Dear Leader Owe-Bama actually gives up his dictatorship.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just talked to a family member who lives in another gun friendly state.
    I'll transfer any affected firearms to him until I can get the H outta here.

pilgrim

I've contacted out of state relatives that I can trust; it's an option in the event of political disaster. My hope is that the Senate President is more savy that the governor and can read the mood of the populace. There could be down-the-road trouble for the Democrat majorties if they end up forcing something through.

Yup, family back home. Just a few more years of doing time in the "Free State".

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    My wife and I have been talking about looking for a 2nd property in another state sometime in the next 4-5 years. A vacation/retirement type property.

As ridiculous as this sounds, with what has happened in NY and what I expect from Owe'Malley, I am seriously ramping that time frame up. I expect to have dual residency within a year, possibly 2 and will take my firearms and leave if it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom