• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sabots need rifling to work.

Yeppers, I knew that...that's why I shot them, :D. I did fire a couple throught the smooth bore with cyl (or was it Imp Cyl) just to see what they did.

Foster Slugs shot poor to OK (the OK ones were the 6" - 8" groups) Only Brennekes gave me the 6" - 8" groups without the rifled choke tubes...most others were worse. I guess I tried to keep a long story about trialing slugs short and wasn't clear on what I was doing

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sometimes, with certain slugs , a rifled tube will give meaningful advantage. Much more likely with an extended tube than a flush. Most likely to see improvement with a sabot slug doing moderate velocity. Several of the offering from Brenneke state "for smooth or rifled".

Other than early R-P Copper Solids , most sabot loads CAN be fired from smooth bores, albeit probably with similar accuraccy to convetional slugs . The first commercially available sabot slugs , the BRI , were designed before the modern advent of rifled bbls. The intended advantages of flatter trajectory , better penetration , were intended to be gained through the aerodymanic design, and higher sectional density.

If you already have a suitable smoothbore try it with a cpl different slugs for accuraccy. Include Brenneke and TruBall in your testing. If that doesn't give adaquate results , insted of a relativly expensive half measure , just step up to either a rifled bbl (if a reasonable one is available for your gun) , or a H&R/ NEF rifled single.

Hmm, I never knew there were flush chokes with rifling. My rifled tube is an extended and worked decent.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have found that rifled sluggs do better in a rifled barrel than smooth bore. Yes they were developed for smooth bore guns but many people will shoot them in rifled barrels especially to sight in a scope. They do leave a mess to clean up but even with cleaning between shots it can save you some $ if you are sighting in your rifled barrel or want some range time at 1/3 the cost of sabots.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Federal truball. In my fixed modified 870 rifle sight barrel, they're the cats ****. Nothing else comes close in terms of accuracy.
    IMAG5564.jpg

Here's a dissection I did of the truball hp vs. the winchester super x. The winchester is just outdated crap stacked on crap with crap quality control. The Federals were much more consistent from shell to shell and the truball & wad they use ensures a more concentric and aligned swaging as the slug is compressed. Switching from the super x to the truball, 50 yd groups were cut in 1/3's.

It's similar to how the winchester military stuff and super x buckshot is complete crap but the federal flitecontrol wadded buckshot is incredibly tight.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Not to mention it is like throwing a piano on the deer when they hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom