• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I am going to do the Vltor A5 mod for my Stag Model 8, which is a piston system.

I currently have a standard carbine spring with an "H" buffer that came standard with the rifle. Even new, I found it a little harder hitting than a standard DI AR.

I want to smooth this out, and from what I have read, the A5 system can make a difference.

I typically shoot various kinds of .223, (Typically Tulammo the Stag eats it up!) and some 193 5.56. I do not typically shoot anything more powerful.

Has anyone used this system on a piston AR, (Stag a bonus!) and can you tell me what buffer weight you ended up using based on your ammo use? My objective is a smoother operation.....

Thanks in advance for any insight!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A5 is no smoother than any other length buffer system IMO. The BT travel is exactly the same for the rifle, a5, carbine, and uciw.

The difference lies only in the springs and buffer weights.

A lighter buffer won't hit as hard when chambering a round because it has less weights. Those weights work like a dead blow hammer when its trying to chamber a round in a fouled weapon. Nothing more.

Ideally you want the lightest buffer your weapon will run on that won't lead to over gassing. Most often manufacturers put LARGE gas ports on AR barrels because of steel cased ammo. This prevents tons of complaints from customers about a gun not working. Most consumers don't shoot enough or know the effects of overgassing and are less likely to complain about it. This the need for heavy buffers, adjustable gas, and heavier springs for those who really understand the system.

If you are dead set on the a5 then I suggest getting the lightest buffer they make for the A5.

One part peoe often overlook is the buffer spring. They don't consider bolt travel and whether it contains ts the lower receiver, over compression of the coils, life of the spring, and compressed/uncompressed weigh ratings. Realistically a standard action spring will last between 5-10k cycles before it needs to be replaced. A chrome silicone spring will last 500k cycles.

Superior Shooting solutions makes a flat wire, CS spring that's cut in one length. It will work on all of the length buffers I mentioned without cutting and its characteristics are superb for life, weight ratings, and a smooth action/shooting experience.

I personally only see the A5 as something worthwhile to insta to gain OAL for a MD SBR.

If you like it then consider my advice though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I played with diff't springs and buffers for my 8L, but never got it to be as smooth or soft as a DI system.

If they'd made the 8 series in a mid-length vs. carbine length, it likely would've been a lot smoother and softer I'm willing to bet.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    A5 is no smoother than any other length buffer system IMO. The BT travel is exactly the same for the rifle, a5, carbine, and uciw.

The difference lies only in the springs and buffer weights.

A lighter buffer won't hit as hard when chambering a round because it has less weights. Those weights work like a dead blow hammer when its trying to chamber a round in a fouled weapon. Nothing more.

Ideally you want the lightest buffer your weapon will run on that won't lead to over gassing. Most often manufacturers put LARGE gas ports on AR barrels because of steel cased ammo. This prevents tons of complaints from customers about a gun not working. Most consumers don't shoot enough or know the effects of overgassing and are less likely to complain about it. This the need for heavy buffers, adjustable gas, and heavier springs for those who really understand the system.

If you are dead set on the a5 then I suggest getting the lightest buffer they make for the A5.

One part peoe often overlook is the buffer spring. They don't consider bolt travel and whether it contains ts the lower receiver, over compression of the coils, life of the spring, and compressed/uncompressed weigh ratings. Realistically a standard action spring will last between 5-10k cycles before it needs to be replaced. A chrome silicone spring will last 500k cycles.

Superior Shooting solutions makes a flat wire, CS spring that's cut in one length. It will work on all of the length buffers I mentioned without cutting and its characteristics are superb for life, weight ratings, and a smooth action/shooting experience.

I personally only see the A5 as something worthwhile to insta to gain OAL for a MD SBR.

If you like it then consider my advice though.

Absolutely! I don't completely understand the relationship between the buffer and spring, which is why I asked. So you really like the flat wire spring? I saw your response on another thread, and I looked into it. I don't care about the money part, I just want to make sure it works.

So if I am interpreting your response, you believe that I may get more benefit from the flat wire spring than going with the A5 system? Heck it is a lot less expensive....

Well I asked for advice, and advice was levied. I am going to give the flat wire buffer spring a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom