VZ2008 Front sight - Need help from the combloc guys...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Had the newly acquired Century Arms VZ2008 out yesterday, and knew it probably wasn't going to be anywhere close to being near center.

I was able to take the front post up, and now have it close height wise.

However, with regard to windage, the post is all the way to the right, and is still not shooting on center.

The front sight doesn't appear to be canted, but then I only have AR experience so certainly not the expert on that subject.

What other adjustments can be made? I hear this is common so hoping I could get advice on next steps.

And this is my first 7.62X39 experience. I was otherwise pleased! The casings flew straight up, so won't be an issue with other shooters like my 74 is.... :eek:

Thanks everyone in advance....

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If it is a canted front sight, I had the same problem with mine and was able to fix it without much trouble. If it's not too far over you won't even need to knock out the sight pin, I didn't on mine. Check out these or similar youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20kJXtW7FFc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-f5SBqjX0

The bore sighter in the 2nd vid is a luxury, you can improvise using a level, marking the barrel & sight base & eyeballing the movement, etc.

Most important thing I found, make sure you have a good strong vise and solid work bench, and make your barrel clamping blocks out of good strong wood. A piece of SPF 2x4 won't do it. (At least it wouldn't hold mine securely enough) Get a block of oak, maple, etc. Sometimes the skid rails from shipping pallets are made of hardwood. If you don't have a good vise, you may be able to use a couple C clamps on a solid table top or some other workaround.

Of course you could contact Century and see if they will warranty it too, but for myself, I'd rather take an hour of my time than go through the hassle of shipping the rifle and being without it for who knows how long.

Since you say the sight doesn't appear to be canted, before doing any of this I would take a good hard look at the rear sight and make sure everything looks right there. I seem to recall hearing or reading about an AK or similar rifle that had part of the rear sight installed incorrectly or cocked somehow.

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    I had the same problem with mine. Bought the AK tool and returned to the range. Just like you, I ran out of room to drift the sight before I hit zero. I also noticed that after about 5 shots, the pin had moved back to over to where it started. Readjusted it, five more shots and again it had moved back. It was obviously glued into place and by the time I left, it would move just by turning the rifle on one side or the other. Took a month of arguing with Century, but they finally agreed to warranty it. Then another week of arguing about sending a mag back with it. I wasn't willing to send one of my 30 round mags back and risk it not being returned because of MD laws.

Finally, everything was set and I shipped it back to them. I was told it wild take 4 - 6 weeks. During that time, I moved and notified them multiple times. Well, 6 weeks later I found out by my former LL that UPS attempted to deliver a package for me. They refused it, so into limbo it went. After two days, I finally tracked it down, got it held and picked it up. I cannot understand how or why they would have shipped a firearm like that without any kind of notification whatsoever. Other than the sight issue, the rifle is awesome. I've run about 400 rounds through it without a single misfire, jamb, or any other problem. Century's customer service however is the worst I've ever encountered.

From the start they had a "couldn't care less" attitude. The whole shipping incident was irresponsible and reckless and upon notifying them to get the tracking number the same "couldn't care less" attitude was obvious. I had planned to buy another one and make it a tactical rifle. Now, I'm not so sure. If I do, I'll drop the extra money and give CZ a try.

I'm anxious to get back out to the range and see how the new sight aims, but also kind of expecting it to be the same as it was before. I know it's a different sight. I cannot get an answer from them as far as what they actually did. If the milled channels were what caused the canting and they just popped a new sight on it, it seems that it would still be canted. From the looks of the paperwork that came back with it, I don't think any work was done at Century, rather it looks like it was shipped to Midwest Gun Exchange in Indiana.

Update us on how his turns out. If you end up needing to return it for warranty work, I van get you to where you need to be and at least save you about a week or three in being bounced around and/or ignored. Good luck!

Are you in MD? If so, where do you go to shoot?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I had the same problem with mine. Bought the AK tool and returned to the range. Just like you, I ran out of room to drift the sight before I hit zero. I also noticed that after about 5 shots, the pin had moved back to over to where it started. Readjusted it, five more shots and again it had moved back. It was obviously glued into place and by the time I left, it would move just by turning the rifle on one side or the other. Took a month of arguing with Century, but they finally agreed to warranty it. Then another week of arguing about sending a mag back with it. I wasn't willing to send one of my 30 round mags back and risk it not being returned because of MD laws.

Finally, everything was set and I shipped it back to them. I was told it wild take 4 - 6 weeks. During that time, I moved and notified them multiple times. Well, 6 weeks later I found out by my former LL that UPS attempted to deliver a package for me. They refused it, so into limbo it went. After two days, I finally tracked it down, got it held and picked it up. I cannot understand how or why they would have shipped a firearm like that without any kind of notification whatsoever. Other than the sight issue, the rifle is awesome. I've run about 400 rounds through it without a single misfire, jamb, or any other problem. Century's customer service however is the worst I've ever encountered.

From the start they had a "couldn't care less" attitude. The whole shipping incident was irresponsible and reckless and upon notifying them to get the tracking number the same "couldn't care less" attitude was obvious. I had planned to buy another one and make it a tactical rifle. Now, I'm not so sure. If I do, I'll drop the extra money and give CZ a try.

I'm anxious to get back out to the range and see how the new sight aims, but also kind of expecting it to be the same as it was before. I know it's a different sight. I cannot get an answer from them as far as what they actually did. If the milled channels were what caused the canting and they just popped a new sight on it, it seems that it would still be canted. From the looks of the paperwork that came back with it, I don't think any work was done at Century, rather it looks like it was shipped to Midwest Gun Exchange in Indiana.

Update us on how his turns out. If you end up needing to return it for warranty work, I van get you to where you need to be and at least save you about a week or three in being bounced around and/or ignored. Good luck!

Are you in MD? If so, where do you go to shoot?

I live in Marriottsville. So I shoot at the AGC range. I have not gotten the sight fixed yet, but I did just get a cool brake for it. I also want to get a fixed stock. Then I will take it in to smith and have the sight fixed.

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    I've been using Cresap for the rifles and Select Fire for pistol. Just moved back to Frederick though, so Select is further than I want to drive to shoot. Machine Gun Nest is supposed to be opening in June so once the new wears off their I may try them up and may even join. Picked up free new guns last week and want to get them out in the range and see how they shoot. Maybe next weekend.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've been using Cresap for the rifles and Select Fire for pistol. Just moved back to Frederick though, so Select is further than I want to drive to shoot. Machine Gun Nest is supposed to be opening in June so once the new wears off their I may try them up and may even join. Picked up free new guns last week and want to get them out in the range and see how they shoot. Maybe next weekend.

How about sharing that source for "free new guns" with the rest of us! :)

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    LOL. Gotta love iPad's auto correct. Besides, if we found free guns, Maryland would surely pass some new law saying that free guns were more deadly than ones we have to pay for and ban them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom