• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hello All,

Is there a revolver that qualifies as a C&R that is a alloy frame or air weight?

Thanks,

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Colt Commander, Colt Cobra , S&W Airweight Chief (aka M37) , S&W Bodygaurd (aka M38).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Edit isn't behaving for me. Also M&P Airweight (aka M12) , various Kitguns ( mdl #'s not memorized. Actual USAF contract Aircrewman revolvers would certainly be C&R , but they are already "highly collectable" ( aka expensive).

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Straight from the ATF...

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

a.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

b.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

c.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/index.html

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    It goes on to say...

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) for a formal classification.

So unless it has been modifed, you should be good to go at 50 years old.

Last edited:

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    What is the best way verify it is C&R ?

Assuming its not in the ATF list and you are trying to figure out if it is at least 50 yrs old I use lots of ways and they all involve research, research, research. If they only made that model during a span of years that ended greater then 50 years ago, if I can tell what year it was manufactured by the serial number, or sometimes you are just plain lucky and it is stamped on the firearm. I have several firearms including some Beretta's where the year is stamped right on the frame. Sometimes you have to do some education when dealing with the seller if it isn't obvious, but I just document my research, not a big deal

If you are really worried, ask us and provide some details... there is a ton of knowledge on this site day after day.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    With Colt Mfg, their website has a database where you can enter a serial number and get the year of manufacture. When I got my Police Positive, my friend entered the serial number in his phone at the gun show to verify to the seller that it was C&R. However, I don't think S&W has anything like that on their website. You have to go off of features.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While S&W does not have the feature directly on their corperate website as do Colt and Ruger , the factory has made all existant historical data available through the Smith & Wesson Collectors Assn. Also extensive information on models , subvariants , and production changes , and seriel number ranges by year in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson .

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Straight from the ATF...

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

a.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

b.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

c.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/index.html

I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom