• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am fairly sure SBR are not going to fall under the ban, assuming there is one. Actually I am almost counting on it. Also if they are, then the ATF will just have to meet that deadline... Otherwise I just see to many lawsuits coming. There is just no way a judge is going to side with the government that their slow processing of paperwork made it so you could not buy a gun.

I just like PTR better. I have seen a bit of vector and it would not scare me away but I have seen them with a lot more issues then PTRs... almost none there. PTR is the gold standard of US made HK91s... which all others must compare.

See Farmer v. Higgins.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I am fairly sure SBR are not going to fall under the ban, assuming there is one. Actually I am almost counting on it. Also if they are, then the ATF will just have to meet that deadline... Otherwise I just see to many lawsuits coming. There is just no way a judge is going to side with the government that their slow processing of paperwork made it so you could not buy a gun.

I just like PTR better. I have seen a bit of vector and it would not scare me away but I have seen them with a lot more issues then PTRs... almost none there. PTR is the gold standard of US made HK91s... which all others must compare.

Also, even though manufacturing new machine guns is illegal, the ATF still allows you to fill out a Form 1 and rewat a deactivated MG even though Form 1s are for manufacturing an NFA weapon.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

You don't think SBRs will fall under the ban? You mean SBRing a receiver you already posses? I am pretty sure you couldn't buy new SBRs under the old federal ban. Not the same law though.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    See Farmer v. Higgins.

See what about Farmer v Higgines...? I don't like to guess at what point you are trying to make. Please add link.

Also, even though manufacturing new machine guns is illegal, the ATF still allows you to fill out a Form 1 and rewat a deactivated MG even though Form 1s are for manufacturing an NFA weapon.

Manufacturing a new MG is not illegal. They just are not allowing further registration from private individuals. ;) Actually reactification of a MG is considered manufacturing a MG. I will not be listed on any future form 4 (or other number) as the manufacture of my 1918 MG08/15... which is stupid but still what the ATF says!

You don't think SBRs will fall under the ban? You mean SBRing a receiver you already posses? I am pretty sure you couldn't buy new SBRs under the old federal ban. Not the same law though.

No I don't think SBRs will fall under the ban. Either SBRing a receiver you have or getting a new one. I don't think SBRs will be considered semi auto rifles. Look you can SBR an assault pistol right now... why? Because its not a pistol. Just as an SBR is not a rifle. Its a SBR. Different category.

I don't know if a post ban SBR had to follow the 94 AWB but that answer would be interesting but yes thats on a Federal level and may not really mean much to us.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    See what about Farmer v Higgines...? I don't like to guess at what point you are trying to make. Please add link.

Manufacturing a new MG is not illegal. They just are not allowing further registration from private individuals. ;) Actually reactification of a MG is considered manufacturing a MG. I will not be listed on any future form 4 (or other number) as the manufacture of my 1918 MG08/15... which is stupid but still what the ATF says!

But you are a private individual and they let you fill out a Form 1 for a MG, right? So they are accepting at least some.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What is the maximum length on a pistol barrel? I am knocking around a pistol till SBR build.

There is none for a pistol

Farmer V. Higgins, is a case about the hughes amendment circa 1986 when farmer had a MG but not by the cutoff date. Halbrooke was the alwyer in the case.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    But you are a private individual and they let you fill out a Form 1 for a MG, right? So they are accepting at least some.

Well yes and no. Rewatting is really something unrelated to other types of guns. Lets face it you start with a MG, then rewat it and have the same MG... its kind of a grandfathered in thing relating to the beginning of the MG registration.

There is none for a pistol

Farmer V. Higgins, is a case about the hughes amendment circa 1986 when farmer had a MG but not by the cutoff date. Halbrooke was the alwyer in the case.

Yes but what is your point? We know a guy filing to make a new MG post May 86 will be denied. What I was asking was those who filed pre-may but did not get the paperwork back until post may! This case is about something else.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes but what is your point? We know a guy filing to make a new MG post May 86 will be denied. What I was asking was those who filed pre-may but did not get the paperwork back until post may! This case is about something else.

The moral of the story: if the paperwork isn't complete by a set deadline, there is a possibility that the transaction will not be approved.

Remember, there is only a hint of a deadline in the near future - nothing concrete as of yet.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well I remember reading an article on Group Industries and everyone else working 20 hours till the cutoff date.

Yes well for a manufacture, they just have to notify the ATF that they built a MG... not wait for approval. So I don't know how it worked for individuals. We were not around for that one but maybe one of the older guys remember how that worked...

The moral of the story: if the paperwork isn't complete by a set deadline, there is a possibility that the transaction will not be approved.

Remember, there is only a hint of a deadline in the near future - nothing concrete as of yet.

Not really, obviously once a ban is in place there is nothing more that can be done short of a lawsuit. There was never any doubt there...
    However in the last round of changes, they do allow you to registered guns legally owned pre Oct that were not registered in time as long as you pay a fine...and you are voluntarily registering it (not after being caught).

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Agreed that case sounds different since possession occured after the cut off date right?

Yeah it says he applied in Oct when the cut off was in May. I don't think anyone thinks you will be able to buy a gun off this list come 2014 if this passes and given nothing else happens...

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I see a few problems here that are being ignored.
    1. The PTR-91 pistol isn't on the handgun roster, so you'd either have to submit it to the roster (slow), or have your FFL07/SOT do the SBR conversion and transfer it on a form 4 (expensive)
    2. A factory SBR isn't going to make it into your hot hands before October 1, which is when the MD AWB may be kicking in (with uncertain effects on SBRs). Form 3s are taking like 8 weeks at this point, form 4s are six months. Don't expect that to get better soon.
    3. You are marginal for a form 1 or form 4, time-wise, if you want to get it approved and built before the possible MD AWB. You are flat-out not going to make it if you don't have a trust already.

I agree with erwos that it's important to inform people of a potential substantial loss if they try to SBR a rifle after Oct. 1st. To me that's a completely responsible warning in my opinion, as some of this will be left up to the interpretation of MSP. However, if you're willing to take the risk, it has been my interpretation of the law (as it stands now), as far as manufacturing definitions differences between state and federal levels, that making an SBR of a rifle\pistol that was purchased before Oct. 1st, will still be acceptable.

Bottom line, it all comes down to... roll the dice if you can afford it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom