• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I have recently been thinking about building a SBR (ar) and i have been drooling over every PTR-91 i have seen. Well the only PTR-91's i have seen in stock are the pistol version (PDW) with a 8 1/8'' barrel. I just thought why not kill two with one of the most bad a$$ stones? I understand the PTR-91 PDW is not on the MD handgun roster from what i can see. I have plans to move to a free state once i graduate. I have a little knowledge of NFA goodness but haven't taken the plunge yet. My questions are...

Federally is could i purchase the pistol, pay my $200 stamp, have the pistol do its time in the in solitary and slap a stock on?

Any Hk experts see any reliability issue with this? Will would this be a good platform or would my $ be better spent building one?

Anything I'm missing?

Any input is great. Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    First off, if you get a factory SBR - you get a warranty.

You go straight NFA from the get go without all the headache.

When I got my V-51P, I went the AOW route.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You say that like that's a bad thing. :D

I would take a PTR over a Vector any day. Switching out stocks on HKs is normally no issue. So get it and shoot it. Make sure it works then add the stock. Adding it to the pistol list is easy and I can hook you up with someone on the board to show you how. He and I just bought a PTR receiver too. We will build them later.

I guess getting a Vector SBR is not a bad idea either...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I see a few problems here that are being ignored.
    1. The PTR-91 pistol isn't on the handgun roster, so you'd either have to submit it to the roster (slow), or have your FFL07/SOT do the SBR conversion and transfer it on a form 4 (expensive)
    2. A factory SBR isn't going to make it into your hot hands before October 1, which is when the MD AWB may be kicking in (with uncertain effects on SBRs). Form 3s are taking like 8 weeks at this point, form 4s are six months. Don't expect that to get better soon.
    3. You are marginal for a form 1 or form 4, time-wise, if you want to get it approved and built before the possible MD AWB. You are flat-out not going to make it if you don't have a trust already.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    1. The PTR-91 pistol isn't on the handgun roster, so you'd either have to submit it to the roster (slow), or have your FFL07/SOT do the SBR conversion and transfer it on a form 4 (expensive)
    2. A factory SBR isn't going to make it into your hot hands before October 1, which is when the MD AWB may be kicking in (with uncertain effects on SBRs). Form 3s are taking like 8 weeks at this point, form 4s are six months. Don't expect that to get better soon.
    3. You are marginal for a form 1 or form 4, time-wise, if you want to get it approved and built before the MD AWB. You are flat-out not going to make it if you don't have a trust already.

Erwos, SB 281 has not been passed into law. OCT 1 isnt in play yet, that is only in the what if stage.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Erwos, SB 281 has not been passed into law. OCT 1 isnt in play yet, that is only in the what if stage.
    I'm not going to play the head-in-the-sand game of optimism that some people here are playing. There is a substantial chance (but not a certainty by any means) that the bill is going to get passed, and I think it is entirely reasonable to caution people about the effects it could have on their future purchases, especially ones where "recovery" would be highly problematic. What do you do with an engraved pistol that you can't SBR anymore? Answer: you sell it out of state and take a serious financial hit, or you wind up with a .308 pistol that's even more of a toy than .308 SBR. Same problem with a factory SBR - you'll take _at least_ a $400 hit getting rid of it. Why should I not caution people to think about these issues? Because, oh noes, it means someone's admitting that we might not win the fight? How dare I go against the groupthink!

Note that I'm not "giving up" or whatever else people are going to accuse me of. I am saying that the odds are not a slam-dunk in our favor this time around, and this bill is worth considering for future NFA plans. I will be entirely pleased should it get killed, and I think there is a good chance that will happen... but not a certainty.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    1. The PTR-91 pistol isn't on the handgun roster, so you'd either have to submit it to the roster (slow), ...

I did not ignore it. I think the roster board meets again in may. Plenty of time to make it happen!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I did not ignore it. I think the roster board meets again in may. Plenty of time to make it happen!
    But not to do that and beat the potential October deadline for SBRs. The problem with NFA guns is that there's a mile of dated paperwork that any prosecutor could get access to, should they ask.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    But not to do that and beat the potential October deadline for SBRs. The problem with NFA guns is that there's a mile of dated paperwork that any prosecutor could get access to, should they ask.

Again, currently there is no deadline.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Who knows but SCAR QB said during the federal 94 ban you could still SBR guns that were in post ban configuration already and they love to compare this law to that one.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I am fairly sure SBR are not going to fall under the ban, assuming there is one. Actually I am almost counting on it. Also if they are, then the ATF will just have to meet that deadline... Otherwise I just see to many lawsuits coming. There is just no way a judge is going to side with the government that their slow processing of paperwork made it so you could not buy a gun.

I just like PTR better. I have seen a bit of vector and it would not scare me away but I have seen them with a lot more issues then PTRs... almost none there. PTR is the gold standard of US made HK91s... which all others must compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom