• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I personally would never do business with a company that is so ignorant on what they are selling. I was really curious why someone would sell a 95% lower when the standard is an 80%, then I look and these guys are selling lowers that are less finished than other companies selling them as 80%. I would not say that their product is in a 95% finished form. There are holes to drill and a lot of material to drill/mill out for the trigger. If you are looking for an 80% I personally would look elsewhere.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    The picture looks like an "80%" lower that they are calling 95% to make it sound better.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I never understood it but they call a 80% lower with the pocket for the upper to be closed a 95% lower ????

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I would not say that their product is in a 95% finished form.

It had better not be. If more than 80% of the machining operations are completed, then it is a firearm and requires being transferred as such. If it were more than 80% complete, they'd be breaking the law selling it direct to customers as a non-firearm.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It had better not be. If more than 80% of the machining operations are completed, then it is a firearm and requires being transferred as such. If it were more than 80% complete, they'd be breaking the law selling it direct to customers as a non-firearm.

The 80% label is marketing, not a rule from the ATF. So 95% is also just a made-up marketing term. All ATF does is make their determination and send a letter saying "this isn't a firearm". But you're correct that if a lower has one too many machining operations performed, it's considered a firearm rather than a paperweight. Currently I believe that the forbidden features are fire control cavity, holes for the safety, hammer pin and trigger pin, or any marks or dimples to locate those holes.

Nicer 80% lowers will have the take-down recess already machined. The rest of the work is less critical and sort of hard to screw up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom