• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I bought a Type 53 off the forum hoping to get a shorter lighter rifle than the 91/30. Well I achieved half of it.

Does anyone have both the 53 and the 38? If so what is the difference in wieght and balance?

Thank you

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've owned both.

M38 is lighter and handier due to the lack of bayonet.

And a nice M38 is very valuable.

Still kicking myself for selling off my 1945 dated M38.

SOG has T53's for 99 dolla.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I just purchased a M38 from gun broker. The seller was a Virginia guy. I wasn't that happy with the transaction as the advertisement had the tool kit, case and accessories :All I got was the gun in a box wrapped in bubble wrap.

But , that said the bore was very nice and clean. The gun had not been counter-bored and seems to be a nice one. I cant wait to shoot it !

If I were you I would find a nice M38 they are a good 'best-of-both-worlds' as you have no bayonet to deal with, and its already a 20inch short barrel.

Best of luck!

Hugh

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    M38 feels the best by far if you ask me. I think the M44 / T53's are a bit front heavy, they feel like there's a small lead brick in the front handguard. I don't get that with a 91/30 (which is actually slightly heavier), or the M38, which shares the same basic balanced feel, in a smaller and lighter package.

I said it in a different post, but if I close my eyes, and raise my 91/30 into position, when I open my eyes, the sights are lined up. I don't get that with the front heavy M44 / T53's. The M38 is a handy size and well balanced for a high powered rifle. Oh, and far more expensive. But let's be honest, even a really nice M38 isn't an expensive rifle....

Sirex