• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Asking me why i decided to acquire a firearm is like asking why I decided to carry a pocket knife. It was the way I was raised and is just a normal part of being an American citizen. It would seem strange not to own either firearms or pocket knives.

Yeah, pretty much. I've "owned" a gun since I was younger than the OP's post count. Got a .22 at age 8 and it was up to me to keep it clean and safely stored in my closet.

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    I've owned a .22 rifle since I was a teenager and then in my 30s I bought a Ruger MKII. When I saw what happened in New Orleans after Katrina when police were unable to respond I decided to get a lIttle more serious. I purchased a AR15 and accumilated about 3,000rds of ammo. I recently added a Beretta 92FS INOX to my nightstand replacing the Ruger.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Why you decided to acquire a firearm?

I've always been interested in firearms and military stuff, wanted one for target practice and the thrill of owing one, but the main push for me was when I got robbed in Oct of last year in Baltimore city. Don't want to get into all the details but the thief stole $44 from me and tried to get even more. That was the turning point for me and I seriously thought about my personal security.

I will never let that situation repeat itself.

Even though I grew up knowing, handling, and shooting them, I decided to acquire firearms when the government started saying I shouldn't be able to own certain kinds or needing a license/paying a tax to own one..... 'nough said

tchin

May 15, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    My cousin got out of the Army and had acquired some guns where he was stationed. He asked if I wanted to go to the range for the first time, I said sure. When I first saw his ar-15, I was just thinking "why does anyone need a gun like that?" But, right after I shot i.t I didn't care about why you'd need one, I just knew I wanted one. Shooting is just a really fun hobby for me now with the added benefits of protection.

engine42410

Sep 9, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I acquired my firearm because i wanted to protect myself and my family. From time to time, my son and i go to the gun range and shoot. The most important reason is that, when and emergency comes up and your life is on the line and you have no where to retreat, the only person you can count on is your self. I have a question for the maryland shooting community, would you rather be judge by twelve or carried by six?
    The law enforcement community can't be everywhere.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I decided to purchase my 1st firearm, when I moved into my first apartment. The area wasn't the safest, but it was the only place I could afford, when I was 20.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I was always around guns as a kid. The whole family had them. We had several break ins and home invasions when I was a kid so guns were useful for us. I lived in a good area but we had money and it was obvious (large house, multiple cars, etc). Plus we lived in a very small town where everyone knew everyone's business. So we were a target.

I owned guns but sold them all prior to joining the Army. I never owned any guns while serving in the Army. I got out of the Army in 2005 and didn't purchase a gun until 2010. Just got lazy about defense...until finding a group of guys dressed in black outside of my door one morning. Long story and I don't feel like typing it all out here but I found myself on the business end of a home invasion and my only protection was a can of OC spray and a baton. I was a federal guard at the time and had those items on my gun belt. My duty weapon stayed at the armory.

I made a promise to myself that if I survived that encounter I would buy a gun. I bought a Ruger GP100 the very next day. And because I still lived in the USA (prior to surrendering all of my rights and moving to this ******** of a state), I was able to take it home that same day.

I hope and pray that I'm never in that situation again but the reality of the world we live in is such that it will most certainly happen again. As a matter of fact, just about a month or two after that incident, my wife woke me just after midnight one night because she heard a noise. I listened for a moment and heard someone trying to get in the front door. I took my Mossberg 500 to the door, gave myself a couple seconds to be afraid, sucked it up, opened the door and simultaneously raised the shotgun to the two men trying to get into my home. I'm very thankful that I didn't have to squeeze the trigger. The men ran away.

Last edited:

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    None of my closer friends/family owned firearms until 2012. I had a casual interest, but never owned and always had other things I wanted to spend my money on. Parents always wanted to get one, but kept putting it off. Since the last election, though, I think somewhere around 8-10 freshly-minted gun owners now exist in my circle. I was going to make purchases near the end of 2012, but then the whole Connecticut thing happened and that pushed me back a few months due to prices.

As to the answer of "why," I always wanted one, and saw the writing on the wall politically, so it was a "now or never" kinda thing.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I figure if my dogs will warn me and give their lives to protect me the least I can do is show up with more than my d**& in my hand to help protect myself and family. Bats are for balls and 911 is for fortresses.

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    Because cordite should be a calvin Klein scent.
    Because MURICA.
    Because papa raised me right.
    Because its cheaper than a therapist. (even after the SHTF)
    Because they are IMO just as stable as a Roth IRA if you keep good care of good guns.
    Because they make me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom