• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What Beretta do you have? I've never heard of this problem. I've only been shooting a Beretta for 25+ years. I use STOS grease on my 682 o/u but others that have been shooting longer than me just use oil. No one and I mean no one reapplies it multiple times a day unless they're wiping it off. I have one friend that never greases or oils his o/u. It keeps on working. These guys are shooting up to 300 targets in a day too.

686 Silver Pigeon. It smooths the action and reduces wear. Considering this is quite a $$$$ gun I like to keep it nice and clean.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    686 Silver Pigeon. It smooths the action and reduces wear. Considering this is quite a $$$$ gun I like to keep it nice and clean.

You aren't going to wear it out, whether you oil it or grease it. Cole Guns (authorized warranty center) has never put the 3rd set of locking pins in a 680 gun. I had the first set of replacement pins put in years ago.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You aren't going to wear it out, whether you oil it or grease it. Cole Guns (authorized warranty center) has never put the 3rd set of locking pins in a 680 gun. I had the first set of replacement pins put in years ago.

You don't know me. Mopar smash.

It's my only nice gun, I take very good care of it considering it was a gift from 4 (now 3) very good friends.

My Glocks get sweated on, sprayed with chemicals and fluids, ground in the dirt and on concrete (so bad I just had to get a new minty fresh kydex holster) beat to shit, neglected, thrown in a bag, dropped off my toolbox (once or twice by accident), stand up to roughhousing with my nephews, etc etc.

Oh and shot. A lot.
    My Beretta sits in its case where its checked once a week for rust, dust and fingerprints. Only comes out to play once in a while.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What Beretta do you have? I've never heard of this problem. I've only been shooting a Beretta for 25+ years. I use STOS grease on my 682 o/u but others that have been shooting longer than me just use oil. No one and I mean no one reapplies it multiple times a day unless they're wiping it off. I have one friend that never greases or oils his o/u. It keeps on working. These guys are shooting up to 300 targets in a day too.

You really should use grease on the o/u shotguns. I have a 682 Super Trap from 1993 that I have been using white lithium grease on for quite a while. Oil doesn't really work well if you shoot a lot of targets in a short amount of time where the gun does not have enough time to cool off. Yes, if one's gun is already loose from a lot of use or poor maintenance, then the extra heat is not a problem. If not, then the extra heat makes the gun really tight and you run the risk of galling on the hinges. Using oil and shooting a lot in a day just wears the gun out sooner than later. Luckily, the 682 and 692 can be rebuilt.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

If you had a set of pins put in, you technically wore the gun out. Like I said, it is a good thing that these guns can be rebuilt. Cole Guns is awesome. They have some really nice replacement wood too.

Feb 28, 2013

Ida never guessed you was one of them kinda guys. It's tough picturin' you wif a O/U in yer hand.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Ida never guessed you was one of them kinda guys. It's tough picturin' you wif a O/U in yer hand.

I blend and blend very well.

I had dinner in suit and tie with a lawyer in Annapolis Wednesday.

Got the number of a recently divorced woomin too but doubt I'll commit to the commute more than a few times.

Come down tomorrow, they sell shells at the range and you can use my gun.

Feb 28, 2013
    I blend and blend very well.

I had dinner in suit and tie with a lawyer in Annapolis Wednesday.

Got the number of a recently divorced woomin too but doubt I'll commit to the commute more than a few times.

Come down tomorrow, they sell shells at the range and you can use my gun.

Ain't my thang makin' a fool o' meself seein' how many flyin' orange thingamabobs I can shoot at and NOT hit, especially with other folks watchin'.:innocent0

Much obliged fer the offer though. :thumbsup:

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Ain't my thang makin' a fool o' meself seein' how many flyin' orange thingamabobs I can shoot at and NOT hit, especially with other folks watchin'.:innocent0

Pssssshhhhhhhh. Most folks don't ever get to shoot at moving things. Besides you're a man you have an instinctual advantage.

I'm actually serious. We evolved as men and hunters and are better at judging distance and speed than women. Until they get training and take off running because they're better learners than we are.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, you wouldn't want anybody taking a pic of you looking like "one of them guys". lol I laugh pretty good when people try to pigeon hole me into one category or another because I ride bicycles, I shoot, I hunt, I fish, I drive an F350, I drive a Mustang, I drive a Taurus, I cut firewood, I own chainsaws and a plethora of tools.

Like my brother says, "you are the best educated, redneck, grease monkey, attorney, camo wearing, lycra wearing, three piece suit wearing guy out there.

I'm just that kind of guy. lol

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    OK, so I just took the shotgun out, and .... Well it hasn't been used since the last outing!

Cleaned it up, and will be there just for a bit to say hi to everyone and also shoot two rounds.

I will remember faces and forum names but not first names. Post 50 sucks.

The b in bkuether stands for Brad..... ;)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

By the way, we all have to learn somewhere. Nothing wrong "with making a fool of yourself" while learning a new skill. That is what prevents most of us from trying new things. We don't want to be the "noob".

Hope we have talked you into coming out in a couple hours. Heck, you can use one of my guns too. That way, it is always a new gun, no matter how many rounds you shoot.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    By the way, we all have to learn somewhere. Nothing wrong "with making a fool of yourself" while learning a new skill. That is what prevents most of us from trying new things. We don't want to be the "noob".

Hope we have talked you into coming out in a couple hours. Heck, you can use one of my guns too. That way, it is always a new gun, no matter how many rounds you shoot.

I make a fool out of myself every time I do this...... ;)

Seriously, come join us!!!!! We had a blast last time, although it will be hard to replace Lou..... :sad20:

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    If you had a set of pins put in, you technically wore the gun out. Like I said, it is a good thing that these guns can be rebuilt. Cole Guns is awesome. They have some really nice replacement wood too.

The fact that these guns can be rebuilt is why my friends and I recommend the Beretta 680 series to anyone that's interested in an o/u. It also accounts for why they're so expensive compared to other 'regular' shotguns. Other shotguns that can be rebuilt are a LOT more expensive (Krieghoff, Kolar, Perazzi).

I actually bought the gun used. The assumption is the first owner shot the hell out of it. His name is Mike Thompson and the story is he received the gun from Beretta for being on the winning team at the 84 olympics.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Everybody is different. I used to be anal about my expensive guns until my browning O/U fell off a UTV into the gravel, hardly a scratch.

These days I might clean my clays gun once a year. Might put a few drops of CLP on something twice a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom