• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I'd first have to ask "why"? Do you have a specific (airsoft) gun that you want to be a pellet shooter? Is it because of looks? If so it is likely less work ($$) to change the "furniture".

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    Nice to hear from ya, BTB. Diversity man, diversity. And we all what's been said about that in this political day & age, right? The more, the merrier, at least that's how I see it. And the only thing you would really have to do is have a .22 cal barrel turned or use as is but then of course, you have the .5 mm difference in the barrel. The magazine could stay because it supplies the gas, green gas, red gas, co2 or 134A depending on the model and it would have to be single shot only. But, just a thought.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You need to look at the weight of Airsoft pellets compared to the weight of lead pellets. Then see if the internal mechanism will deliver enough volume of the right pressure gas to give you the muzzle velocity desired. Sorry to rain on your parade but it doesn't look promising at first glance.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    You need to look at the weight of Airsoft pellets compared to the weight of lead pellets. Then see if the internal mechanism will deliver enough volume of the right pressure gas to give you the muzzle velocity desired. Sorry to rain on your parade but it doesn't look promising at first glance.

Here's my analysis Blacksmith101, The average weight of and airsoft BB from everything I've seen & read, is ~.20g- .25g - that's 2 tenths of a gram, (g). 2/10 or 1/5 of a gram ~ 3.09 grain, (gr). 1 gram = ~ 15.432gr. The average .22 pellet is ~ 14.5 gr minus the .25 mm gap in a stock airsoft barrel, (http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-grains.htm)

Given all that info, an average .22 cal pellet is < 1 gram. Yes the gap would affect performance and yes, so will the weight but, that would only affect velocity but give it some longer range because of better trajectory of the pellet, depending on which one was used.

So 14.5 grain/15.432 grains is actually only 94% of one gram (g). And if you replaced the airsoft barrel with a custom made .22 cal barrel, performance would be even better. The only other thing of concern would be the magazine, IF it was intended to be used for anything else in addition to just supplying the source of gas.

Ummm, your turn :)

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Here's my analysis Blacksmith101, The average weight of and airsoft BB from everything I've seen & read, is ~.20g- .25g - that's 2 tenths of a gram, (g). 2/10 or 1/5 of a gram ~ 3.09 grain, (gr). 1 gram = ~ 15.432gr. The average .22 pellet is ~ 14.5 gr minus the .25 mm gap in a stock airsoft barrel, (http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-grains.htm)

Given all that info, an average .22 cal pellet is < 1 gram. Yes the gap would affect performance and yes, so will the weight but, that would only affect velocity but give it some longer range because of better trajectory of the pellet, depending on which one was used.

So 14.5 grain/15.432 grains is actually only 94% of one gram (g). And if you replaced the airsoft barrel with a custom made .22 cal barrel, performance would be even better.

Ummm, your turn :)

Not much into Airsoft (actually no experience at all) but it seems like the "average" weight as you say is approx .2grams (3.08647grains)
    The average velocity is approx 300-350fps.

If we go with the higher number of 350fps then the gun is putting out approx .84FPE at the muzzle. It you were to replace the barrel with a .22 barrel we could expect that the valve would be able to put out almost the same energy. (It will actually be slightly less since the air pressure is being applied to a smaller diameter base.) But lets give it the benefit of doubt and say it would theoretically be able to produce the same .84fpe. With the 14.3g pellet this would be a blistering 162fps.

Now I plugged these numbers into chairgun, but the minimum velocity it will take is 200fps. But at 200fps with a scope mounted 1.5" above the bore and a sight in distance of 35yds the pellet would be hitting almost 15" high at 20yds. Talk about a rainbow trajectory.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    I am IMPRESSED!!!! There is nothing like numbers and math, is there? And you are correct with your figures. But there are a few models out there that boast 650fps - 750fps but I'm not real sure if that would make a lot of difference. I think over all, it would take a lot of modification and at least to an extent, some re-engineering of some or something! What say you? and I also think, as you said, "it is likely less work ($$) to change the "furniture". But fun to think about, nonetheless. But at the very worst, we could could use our squirrels for fast moving targets without lethal effects. :lol::party29::lol:

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    BigTinBoat
    Thanks for running the ballistics. I should have been more detailed in my response.

Air Wolf
    Here is a link to introductory airgun ballistics to get you started, search engines will provide many more references:
    http://www.crosman.com/get-hunting/airgun-ballistics

Ballistics for both airguns and firearms are controlled by the laws of physics and makes for fascinating study. One of the pioneers in the study of ballistics was Franklin Weston Mann inventor of the Mann Accuracy Device. Here is a link to a PDF file of his classic book "The Bullets Flight From Powder To Target", perhaps you will become the next great ballistic expert:
    http://castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/The_bullet_s_flight_from_powder_to_targe.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom